What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Even though my Edge has done only 10,000 miles I noticed that the driver's side car-mat was getting worn-out already.

So instead of letting it deteriorate any further I decided to replace all four mats and put the Ford ones away for later.

There were a lot of replacements to choose from, and not too expensive either, so I thought I'd try a set with coloured edging. I chose what I thought might be a good match with the exterior. Not sure though whether I 100% like them. But they didn't cost much and can always replace them later if I decide I don't!

image.png.6d8805645f23504db396ccf0361b6f74.png

Edited by niceonept
  • Like 3

On 10/13/2021 at 1:37 PM, handfiler said:

I installed my new tires yesterday. The factory Dunlop CrossContact LX Sport were replaced with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tires. Immediate impressions are that they are noticeably quieter on older road surfaces and expansion joints. Turn-in seems to be more immediate but to early to say until I scrub them in some more.

This car doesn't see winter weather but the wheel hubs were seriously rusted. To avoid issues down the road I cleaned off the rust with a Dremel tool and wire wheel attachment. That was followed up with a light coating of anti-seize compound to the wheel mounting face and the exposed axle threads (not on the wheel studs).

I painted all the electroplated parts on my rotors with silver caliper paint and they still look like new after about a year.

Amazon.com: POR-15 Silver Caliper Paint - 8 fl. oz. - Superior Heat Resistant Coating : Automotive

• Like 2

What do most people do before a snow storm? Plugs, oil change & drained the Catch Can usually isn't on the list, lol. Roughly about 3,000 miles since last oil change & plugs are original & had ~51,200 on them. Car has been tuned for over 20,000 miles. 

Attach26747_20220116_143700.jpg

Attach26746_20220116_143650.jpg

Attach26768_20220116_145801.jpg

Attach26759_20220116_143901.jpg

Attach26748_20220116_143709.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After 5 years it is time to replace the wrap. I should have replaced it at 3 years because it would have been much easier to remove. Now I know better. 

The wrap is shot and will require a lot of work to remove. 

IMG_9785.JPG

I have started to remove the wrap, it comes up in small pieces and leaves a glue residue. I am using plastic razors with the scraper that don't scratch the paint. This is going to take a while. 

IMG_9786.JPG

After scraping for 15 min I am considering getting a  Whizzy Wheel car decal and sticker remover tool, it is designed to be used with a drill to remove the wrap and not hurt the paint. 

51HrQZ31oJL._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Swapped on summer wheels/tires (last weekend)

Engine oil & filter change (last weekend)

Trans fluid drain/fill/drain/refill (last weekend)

PTU fluid drain & refill with smurf snot (last weekend)

Ran it through the carwash (she cleans up nice) (last weekend)

JLT oil catch can install just now ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

If you doing it yourself, have you watched YouTube videos on how to remove? Heat gun, solvents etc? 

i wonder if GooGone adhesive remover would weaken the adhesive bond allowing the vinyl to be lifted without damaging the paint?

Yes,  I watched a few videos and the biggest mistake I made was to wait 5 years before removing the wrap. The wrap started showing its age around 3 years, and if I had removed it at that time I would have had a much better chance of removing it in a few large pieces. It now comes off in thousands of small pieces. It is like removing a label from a giant bottle with your fingernails.   I went ahead and bought a Whizzy Wheel and some Goo Gone to speed things up.  

Here are the tools I assembled to do the job. The long handle metal scraper works well but the plastic razor slipped and the metal scratched the paint a little so I have stopped using that tool. The plastic scrapers are much safer to use around paint, but do not offer the leverage of the long handle scraper.   

IMG_9790.JPG

The eraser wheel works great but makes a big mess, it removes the wrap without damaging the paint. If I can handle the heat, it is 90* today, I will try finish this one part. This is difficult as I have to stand on a three step ladder to reach, and it is hard on my back.  I will use the Goo Gone after the wrap is off to remove any remaining  glue residue.

IMG_9791.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

Didn't see a heat gun in your tool ensemble. Fav of pros when removing. 

Have you thought of getting a quote from the pro who put the wrap on? They're usually the best bet removing the wrap after the lifespan is reached. 

I have a heat gun but it got up to 95 today so I just parked in the sun to heat up the wrap. I will try the heat gun on the hood when I start that project. I got a quote and they wanted 3 shop hours at $120 per hr to remove the wrap, and $800 to clean and re wrap. No thank you!!  I just spent around $50 for the tools and will clean it myself. This part took me about 2 hours to do, not to bad for my first time.  It is an easy enough job,  it is just time consuming dirty work,  and If I can't get a lower price to install the new wrap I will look at paint,  one and done forever. . 

The scratch by the metal scraper can be seen on the back edge as a small black line at the bottom of the photo, the other black specks at the top are bits of wrap, the off-color mess everyplace else is the remaining glue. A little Goo Gone and it should clean up nicely. 

IMG_9792.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1