K&N now has air filter for Edge!!!!

amandashook

Increase in gas mileage eh? And so simple. I doubt it. If it were that easy Ford would do it themselves and sell more cars.

Reminds me of the magic Fish carb that GM supposedly repressed at the behest of the oil companies. Of course in reality GM could care less what's good for the oil companies, they're in business to sell cars and good mileage sells cars.

I have had several K&N's 4 FIPK's all on F150's, K&N replacement filters in the Taurus, the Focus SVT, the Escape, The 96 Polaris Trailblazer and a Forcewinder on the 2000 Sportster.

I don't think they did a damn thing other than cost me money. I just couldn't resist modifying stuff. Then I met a man that did a ton of work on engines and was doing DYNO runs and performance tunes for Hypertech that told me a paper filter, duct taped down to 1 square inch left open, showed no performance loss on the DYNO. Running a Cotton Gauze filter was suicide on an engine built for every day use. To much dirt migration into the engine.

Now a Race engine is a different story, so don't confuse the two. Race engines are constantly dismantled and refreshed. Cram all the air in that you can get and make sure you can pass it for MAX HP. In this case Cotton Gauze filters are wonderful.

Sure I like K&N and still use some. But their won't be one in My new EDGE!

Hey, how about some magnets that go around the fuel line, these realign the molecules in the fuel and you get better mileage. Anybody heard that line of Hog $hit before?

Hey, how about some magnets that go around the fuel line, these realign the molecules in the fuel and you get better mileage. Anybody heard that line of Hog $hit before?

LMAO, uh yea, I have heard of that before. They try and sell them like crazy online. I dont know anything about them, but I do see them....

• 4 weeks later...

I second that K&N is just taking your money.

When looking at air filters EXTENSIVELY for my Mazda 3SP, I found several places that examined their filters.

Yes, they "can" see more MPG and more power, but the amount is so small of a gain. T

Yes, they last a long time, but have you recharged a K&N? It is not as easy as a new filter drop in. I would rather drop a new filter in every 12K miles than clean a K&N every 35K to 50K miles. But simplicity is my means of existence.

They get the performance gain by using less pleats which allows more air to be pulled into the engine. What comes along with air - dirt. Which in turn wears the engine quicker. No thanks.

Now this is not to say it is a bad filter, especially if you plan on not keeping the vehicle more than 4-5 years - as you probably wont see any damage from dirt in that time. But, since I expect cars to last a minimum of 8 years and 175K miles, every wee bit of protection is important to me.

When I was looking for filters on my Mazda 3SP, the OEM Mazda filter from the dealer was FAR superior to ANY other filter. Granted it was restrictive per say, but it protects. If that is that same for Ford, I dont know.

Just my $0.01

Solas

"You must take my babbling with a grain of alcohol"

• 2 years later...

we have a 08 edge fwd it had 10,000 on it when we got it and up till few weeks ago did best of 16 round town with the paper filter at 17,000 dad put in the k&n and on first full fill up since install got 22.7 round town k&n is not a joke like many think i have seen them work in a good many vehicles dad put one in his 97 f150 4.6 it was gittin 10-12 round town now gits 16-17 at best

we have a 08 edge fwd it had 10,000 on it when we got it and up till few weeks ago did best of 16 round town with the paper filter at 17,000 dad put in the k&n and on first full fill up since install got 22.7 round town k&n is not a joke like many think i have seen them work in a good many vehicles dad put one in his 97 f150 4.6 it was gittin 10-12 round town now gits 16-17 at best

Your dad?

Are you old enough to drive?

Do you even own a car?

I think somebody needs to learn how to calculate mpg. There is no possible way that only a filter swap would get those kinds of gains in your mpg.

I think somebody needs to learn how to calculate mpg. There is no possible way that only a filter swap would get those kinds of gains in your mpg.

they calculate it every fillup they let it go down to 1/4 tank or lower and fillup they aint like some folks that when they hit 3/4 fill it up and yes it picked up that much .....we are in charleston sc and they drive it mostly 20-30 miles for dr apointments and stuff very lil stop and go

• 4 weeks later...

I jus recieved an email notifying me that they now have an air filter available for the Edge. It is also used for the following....

2008 MAZDA CX-9 3.7L V6 F/I - All

2008 LINCOLN MKZ 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2008 LINCOLN MKX 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2008 FORD TAURUS X 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2008 FORD TAURUS 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2008 FORD EDGE 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2007 MAZDA CX-9 3.5L V6 F/I - All

2007 FORD EDGE 3.5L V6 F/I - All

Go to http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2395 to get one.

We've had one on ours since we got it. (2007)

AMSOIL Ea Nanofiber Air Filters -->

If it's good enough for a $7 million M1 Abrams tank it's good enough ...for the Ford Edge --> http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA221-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/EaFilters/index.aspx

K&N wet gauze is so passe.

:lastyear:

Edited by Tribby2001

• 11 months later...

Add it up--- about 60 bucks for a K&N and a wash kit---- for me, 60 bucks will buy about 8-10 paper filters that will last 30,000 miles each or 60 bucks of filters will take me at least 240,000 miles.

What do I gain with K&N other than getting my hands all dirty and oily? No increase in gas mileage-- they don't make any mileage claims--- and if it breathes more air, it has to pass more dirt--- No thanks--I'll stick with paper! Way back in the oil bath air filter days, I did all the cleaning of air filters I ever wanted to, thank you very much!

I only drive about 12K/yr so that 240K miles would take me 20 years to do---

In all fairness to K&N, I did use one of their filters on my Honda Helix Scooter--- It made sense there because of the Cost of Honda paper filters even though it was a PITA to clean!

I remember seeing a test a few years ago where someone put some kind of white filter sheet behind a few different air filters. He claimed that he drove each of them in the same conditions and posted pics of each filter sheet and air filter after a certain number of miles driven. The test did show that the K&N and other filters like it let more dirt pass through then regular paper element filters. Not that I believe everything on the net but I stopped using K&N's back when I purchased a new 2003 F150. I can't say that using a K&N is a bad idea cuz I never did have any internal engine problems during the many years I used them.

Cough... Cough... Bull Sh%# I got to call you out. No way you can get gains like this off a filter change, maybe 1 to 2 mpg at the best, at the very best. I am guessing the stock filter was so clogged and full of debris that just by changing it with any new filter could of yielded these results.

Like others have said, $60 once or $12 five times is the same, but I like putting them in for a different reason.

I like to use the K&N filter for the pure fact that it lets the guys at the dealer know I care about my car. That way, they spend less time trying to sell me stuff they know I dont really need.

Like others have said, $60 once or $12 five times is the same, but I like putting them in for a different reason.

I like to use the K&N filter for the pure fact that it lets the guys at the dealer know I care about my car. That way, they spend less time trying to sell me stuff they know I dont really need.

Whatever floats your boat--- but when it comes to taking care of your car, it could be an obscession instead of a hobby when you go for every gadjet that is advertized to do a minute betterment of performance. I've done that in the past with a couple of vehicles and soon learned that the gain wasn't worth the pain! :finger:

Whatever floats your boat--- but when it comes to taking care of your car, it could be an obscession instead of a hobby when you go for every gadjet that is advertized to do a minute betterment of performance. I've done that in the past with a couple of vehicles and soon learned that the gain wasn't worth the pain! :finger:

I never said anything about performance gain, mpg gain, or the like. Maybe your time isnt that valuable, but if I save 5 minutes every time I get an oil change, then its worth it to me.

You can buy 1 K+N filter and cleaner or 7 bottom line stock type filters. Depending on your driving conditions the stock filters can last from 70,000 (dirty conditions) miles to 210,000 (perfect conditions) miles if all 7 were used. The K+N will still outlast the stock filters.

My math is $8.49 for a cheap stock filter and $50.99 for a K+N and the cleaning kit was $13.00 however the cleaning kit will clean approx 20 filters in my experience.

30,000 miles is stock filter replacement if perfect driving conditions are met!

So $50.99 + $13.00 = $63.99 K+N 1,000,000 miles or 4 cleanings for 200,000 miles of driving.

So $8.49 X 7 = $59.43. 210,000 miles and 7 filters if you are lucky and get the 30,000 miles of driving per filter change.

So in the end you are up approx $4.00 by not buying a K+N but you do have to go out and buy and replace filters every 10,000 to 30,000 miles and with the economy I bet you spend well over the price of 1 K+N filter and cleaner by the time you hit the 200,000 mile mark with stock type filters! With the K+N the future investment is done and you will have to clean it 4 times in 200,000 miles.

P.S. I bought my first K+N filtercharger cleaning kit in 1995 and still have some left to do at least 1 more filter cleaning.

Oh and the cleaning thing is not a pain. Keep the OEM filter and put it back in while you clean the K+N if you need to drive.

P.S. When you got over 100k on your Edge I would like to see if your hands dont get dirty changing a stock filter or doing anything under the hood. On any vehicle with high mileage and use you will get your hands dirty. My hands barely get oily changing a K+N they still get dirty changing a stock filter (ever try changing a stock filter on a 1998 3.8 Windstar?), I guess getting my hands dirty doing some work under the hood doesnt bother some of us Men who work on cars!

Add it up--- about 60 bucks for a K&N and a wash kit---- for me, 60 bucks will buy about 8-10 paper filters that will last 30,000 miles each or 60 bucks of filters will take me at least 240,000 miles.

What do I gain with K&N other than getting my hands all dirty and oily? No increase in gas mileage-- they don't make any mileage claims--- and if it breathes more air, it has to pass more dirt--- No thanks--I'll stick with paper! Way back in the oil bath air filter days, I did all the cleaning of air filters I ever wanted to, thank you very much!

I only drive about 12K/yr so that 240K miles would take me 20 years to do---

In all fairness to K&N, I did use one of their filters on my Honda Helix Scooter--- It made sense there because of the Cost of Honda paper filters even though it was a PITA to clean!

Edited by nextime