What do HATE MOST about your Edge or MKX?

enigma-2

Very minor irritation - every time I go through the car wash water hangs out in the side mirrors and spits down the side of the vehicle when driving and dribbles down the door when stopped leaving ugly water marks.

I reduce the volume of water by pulling to the side at the car wash and using a can of compressed air blast into the mirror.

I'm thinking of popping out the puddle lights and checking if I can drill a reasonable drain hole in the underside.

12 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Very minor irritation - every time I go through the car wash water hangs out in the side mirrors and spits down the side of the vehicle when driving and dribbles down the door when stopped leaving ugly water marks.

I reduce the volume of water by pulling to the side at the car wash and using a can of compressed air blast into the mirror.

I'm thinking of popping out the puddle lights and checking if I can drill a reasonable drain hole in the underside.

Yes. Exact same issue. Very annoying.

On the hole idea, I remember some early Edges (previous gen) had a whistling noise caused by an incorrectly sealed mirror at the bottom. With how aerodynamically mirrors are designed I would be worried from the side effects.

Also I've noticed water coming from in-between the folding part.

3 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Very minor irritation - every time I go through the car wash water hangs out in the side mirrors and spits down the side of the vehicle when driving and dribbles down the door

I've never owned a vehicle with electric mirrors that didn't dribble a bit after a wash.  Try this.  After your normal towel dry under the hood, hatch and inside the doors (because they all drip after a wash too) tilt the mirrors all the way up or all the way in (make as large an opening as you can) then drive a block or two to let air and gravity remove loose droplets.  Stop and wipe away any drips that might have hit the door.  Hit your memory button to get the mirrors back where they should be. 

If you're home, just hit the mirror with a nice blast from a leaf blower along with all the other seams (up under the rear spoiler and behind the license plate especially) to make the rest of your drying process easier. 

8 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

I've never owned a vehicle with electric mirrors that didn't dribble a bit after a wash.  Try this.  After your normal towel dry under the hood, hatch and inside the doors (because they all drip after a wash too) tilt the mirrors all the way up or all the way in (make as large an opening as you can) then drive a block or two to let air and gravity remove loose droplets.  Stop and wipe away any drips that might have hit the door.  Hit your memory button to get the mirrors back where they should be. 

If you're home, just hit the mirror with a nice blast from a leaf blower along with all the other seams (up under the rear spoiler and behind the license plate especially) to make the rest of your drying process easier. 

I can vouch for the JetSpeed Dryer  It's a bargain for what it costs. I use it on my Mustang which has more nooks and crannies than I care to count count. It's perfect for mirrors, fuel access doors, wheels etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 2017 edge sel is our third one. Love it overall. 

The only complaints I have refer to things it doesn’t have. 

I wish it had the following options:

— front parking sensors

— power tailgate

— moon roof

— power up rear seat backs

My next one will probably be the Lincoln version and I’ll get all of this stuff. Until then I’m really happy with everything!!

On 12/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, Ogre said:

The cargo light is just a terrible design, would love to be able to see what gear transmission is in while not in manual mode. 

1. Agreed, the cargo light could be placed higher (like the back seat lighting) but there's a simple solution. Harbor Freight gives these very bright, palm size LED flashlights away all the time.  In fact, here's a coupon good through the end of 2020.  Tuck one in the right side storage slot of the cargo compartment for that rare time you need more light: Toss another one in one of the storage compartments with the spare tire in case of emergency.  Stash another one in the glove box.  image.png.5495d26fa622d9c778dff331a2458822.png

2. To see what gear your in when in Drive pull the right side (+) paddle.  The current gear will be displayed for a few seconds.

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

We like our 2019 SEL. But it's the first car we've owned that has the engine stop/start 'feature'.  We hate it and try to remember to shut it off when we get in the car.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed the override devices that keep the system off. The two I've seen plug into the stop/start wiring, either under the dash or under the console. Installation under the dash seems difficult as it's hard to reach. Installation under the center console requires that you pull of the console cover to get access to the wiring. Either device allows you to turn the system on if desired.  Around $80 IIRC.

Has anyone tried devices like this or any others?

51 minutes ago, AutoBuff said:

We like our 2019 SEL. But it's the first car we've owned that has the engine stop/start 'feature'.  We hate it and try to remember to shut it off when we get in the car.

I have a '16 without the stop-start feature so I'm far from an expert but.....it's my understanding multiple things have to align to have the system kick in and stop the engine.  Outside temperature can't be extreme enough to require heat or ac, the battery has to be fully charged and you have to be pressing fairly hard on the brake pedal while stopped.  That last item you can play with and see if it works for you.  Heavy enough on the brake to keep your Edge stopped but not so hard you invoke the auto system.

There are two other ways to sidestep the system.  One involves removing a control module from the positive terminal of your battery, the second requires accessing one of the vehicle's modules using FORScan to turn the battery managment system off.

The good news is all the above is, except for purchasing an OBDII code reader to use FORScan, free.

If you still want to install the bypass module getting into the center console is extremely easy.  Take a look at this YouTube video that details how to remove the radio/nav screen.  You won't be going that far but it shows how easy it is to pull the side trim pieces and the top of the console off to reach connections: 

21 hours ago, AutoBuff said:

I'm wondering if anyone has installed the override devices that keep the system off. The two I've seen plug into the stop/start wiring, either under the dash or under the console. Installation under the dash seems difficult as it's hard to reach. Installation under the center console requires that you pull of the console cover to get access to the wiring. Either device allows you to turn the system on if desired.  Around $80 IIRC.

Has anyone tried devices like this or any others?

Leave it on for 1 month and keep an open mind and see if you get used to it.  I hated it the first time I encountered it but now I actually like it on my f150 and it does save fuel.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:54 AM, akirby said:

Leave it on for 1 month and keep an open mind and see if you get used to it.  I hated it the first time I encountered it but now I actually like it on my f150 and it does save fuel.

Thanks, but we'd never make it that long.  Most importantly, we just don't want the wear and tear on the starter, battery, or anything else that's stressed by this operation.  My uneducated guess is that the savings in fuel is marginal at best, particularly living in an area with few stop lights and light traffic.

4 hours ago, AutoBuff said:

Thanks, but we'd never make it that long.  Most importantly, we just don't want the wear and tear on the starter, battery, or anything else that's stressed by this operation.  My uneducated guess is that the savings in fuel is marginal at best, particularly living in an area with few stop lights and light traffic.

The savings are 5%-7% and they beefed up all of the affected components so longevity isn’t a concern.  But it sounds like you’ve already decided you hate it.

On 27 décembre 2019 at 12:05 PM, AutoBuff said:

We like our 2019 SEL. But it's the first car we've owned that has the engine stop/start 'feature'.

I can't say that I "hate" it but at first, I was finding it weird that the engine stopped while waiting for the traffic light to change. It took a short while to get used to it and now, it doesn't bother me anymore and I let it do it's job.

Claude.

• Like 1

I hate when I am pulling up to a red light and I can see from the countdown pedestrian timer that I will only have the light for a second or two and then the engine shuts off, only to have to immediately start two seconds later.  I find myself quickly shutting off the auto-start when I see this scenario.

5 minutes ago, JoeVic said:

I hate when I am pulling up to a red light and I can see from the countdown pedestrian timer that I will only have the light for a second or two and then the engine shuts off, only to have to immediately start two seconds later.  I find myself quickly shutting off the auto-start when I see this scenario.

Light brake pedal pressure will prevent it from stopping.

The engine only needs to be off for 0.6 seconds for it to save fuel.  Think of all the wear and tear you are saving on the engine by not having it idling for all that time, it adds up to dozens of hours over the vehicle's life.

I'm still a little confused as to why so many people don't like it.  Is it the (incorrect) assumption of extra wear, is it the slight noise and vibrations on start-up, is it the reduced climate performance, is it the inability to creep along after stopping?  Those are all semi-legitimate reasons, but all can be overcome once you get used to it.

21 hours ago, Waldo said:

The engine only needs to be off for 0.6 seconds for it to save fuel.  Think of all the wear and tear you are saving on the engine by not having it idling for all that time, it adds up to dozens of hours over the vehicle's life.

I'm still a little confused as to why so many people don't like it.  Is it the (incorrect) assumption of extra wear, is it the slight noise and vibrations on start-up, is it the reduced climate performance, is it the inability to creep along after stopping?  Those are all semi-legitimate reasons, but all can be overcome once you get used to it.

I bought mine in the early Fall so I haven't had any sustained extreme temperature conditions to judge the climate performance.  What I did observe was a non factor.   The startup is slightly more noticeable than other brand vehicles that I have driven with auto start.  An Escape I rented in Los Angles I had no problem leaving engaged.  I don't mind the engine shutting off for a minute or more, but every block for 5-8 seconds sometimes is annoying.  And you can't tell me that there isn't more wear and tear on the components utilized to constantly restart.  I do try to leave it engaged as much as I can, But I am glad we have to option to disable it.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, JoeVic said:

And you can't tell me that there isn't more wear and tear on the components utilized to constantly restart.

I agree.  Ford says that cars that have this 'technology' are equipped with a heavy duty starter and battery.  But how would a consumer really know if these components are "beefed up" enough to handle this operation?

1 hour ago, AutoBuff said:

I agree.  Ford says that cars that have this 'technology' are equipped with a heavy duty starter and battery.  But how would a consumer really know if these components are "beefed up" enough to handle this operation?

How does the consumer know anything about the vehicle other than what Ford says?   The part numbers are different - why would they go to all that trouble otherwise?

5 hours ago, akirby said:

How does the consumer know anything about the vehicle other than what Ford says?   The part numbers are different - why would they go to all that trouble otherwise?

Some things you can actually see, such as the battery.  It is obviously a larger capacity battery.  But the starter, starter solenoid, alternator/generator not so sure.

And I am sure Ford doesn't want to be replacing starters at an astronomical rate on vehicles with auto start/stop,  but I still think there has to be more overall wear on a starter that may activate 25-30 times a day as compared to twice a day.

Maybe it is because of my age and experience with older cars.  You knew that starter or alternator had a certain lifespan and that was it.   Come to think of it, I haven't replaced a starter since an '85 Dodge Diplomat.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, ZZOOGG said:

My 2017 edge sel is our third one. Love it overall. 

The only complaints I have refer to things it doesn’t have. 

I wish it had the following options:

— front parking sensors

— power tailgate

— moon roof

— power up rear seat backs

My next one will probably be the Lincoln version and I’ll get all of this stuff. Until then I’m really happy with everything!!

My 2017 edge has the power tailgate, moon roof it's included in the Titanium edition.

When I am trying to trigger the tailgate, standing on one leg while swinging the other leg in/out, back/forth, I know some body is getting a good laugh if I’m in a parking lot. However, when At home and I’m washing the vehicle, the tailgate will go up no less than 5 times from water splashing. 
SMH!