[rant warning] ST options in Canada. WTF are you thinking, Ford?

ben senise

Performance brake packages tend to not work so well in the cold. Seems likely Ford decided not to offer it in Canada because it wouldn't work well.

i can't imagine why upgraded brakes wouldn't work in the cold. After all, Ford sells the package in the North-East US where it gets much colder than out here on the West Coast.

Once again, I completely understand the need for simple packages in the sales process. I don't have so much of a problem with that. It's just that sometimes they don't make sense like needing a sunroof to get black wheels. The wheels show as having a price. The 401A has a price. You can get 401A without getting the wheels but you can't get wheels without getting 401A. What this shows is that it's a strictly political decision rather than a limitation of production or ordering logistics.

Are you sure? Tell me where I went wrong. Did you look at the Canadian build site? If I build a 400A it shows hands free foot operated lift-gate as included without the convenience option . Aren't you the guy that told me I could have the 21" wheels are as a stand alone option on the 400A ? Not happening. (JUST KIDDING HERE). ;) (wink)

Opps, I see said the blind guy, the summary is just that, my bad, but the option panel on the side shows it included (if you ordered the option??) Sucks to be old!

Never use the hands free anyways, it only works here in the poor dog sledding season (summer).

I like the way the 400A is equipped, suits me just perfect. :)

Are you sure? Tell me where I went wrong. Did you look at the Canadian build site? If I build a 400A it shows hands free foot operated lift-gate as included without the convenience option . Aren't you the guy that told me I could have the 21" wheels are as a stand alone option on the 400A ? Not happening. (JUST KIDDING HERE). ;) (wink)

Sorry, I was looking at the US order guide and assumed it was the same in Canada, but it might not be. I can't find the CA order guide to verify.

Sometimes the online build and price is incorrect.

Pad compounds. A compound that is designed for heavy braking loads on a high horsepower, heavy vehicle will not perform well in sub-zero temps. It's all a trade off. A pad that does well when it's -30F will not take abuse on a road course in the summer very well. Since the magazines will all take it to a track to test it- they cannot use a pad that would get smoked.

i can't imagine why upgraded brakes wouldn't work in the cold.

Pad compounds. A compound that is designed for heavy braking loads on a high horsepower, heavy vehicle will not perform well in sub-zero temps. It's all a trade off. A pad that does well when it's -30F will not take abuse on a road course in the summer very well. Since the magazines will all take it to a track to test it- they cannot use a pad that would get smoked.

I beg to differ. The brakes on my CTS-V work every bit as well in winter as they do in the summer and it's far from a light vehicle. Granted, they are WAY more expensive than what's on the ST but it's certainly possible. Now, the tires on the other hand, they go hide and my couch cushion / marshmallow blizzaks come out once it dips into the 30s.

I beg to differ. The brakes on my CTS-V work every bit as well in winter as they do in the summer and it's far from a light vehicle. Granted, they are WAY more expensive than what's on the ST but it's certainly possible. Now, the tires on the other hand, they go hide and my couch cushion / marshmallow blizzaks come out once it dips into the 30s.

Exactly if pads were the problem they would have said so. It's just someone at ford who thinks once you cross the boarder we all live in igloos and couldn't possibly enjoy a summer tire....

My summers go hide and and my studded hak 8's come out to play. So much fun!

Sorry, I was looking at the US order guide and assumed it was the same in Canada, but it might not be. I can't find the CA order guide to verify.

Sometimes the online build and price is incorrect.

Looking at the Canadian order guide it’s exactly same as I described. With the 400A base ST trim the Foot operated hands free lift gate is only available with the convenience package. The website is probably wrong.

Power liftgate is standard but not the hands free foot operated feature.

There is no free lunch when it comes to brake compounds.

i can't imagine why upgraded brakes wouldn't work in the cold. After all, Ford sells the package in the North-East US where it gets much colder than out here on the West Coast.

Once again, I completely understand the need for simple packages in the sales process. I don't have so much of a problem with that. It's just that sometimes they don't make sense like needing a sunroof to get black wheels. The wheels show as having a price. The 401A has a price. You can get 401A without getting the wheels but you can't get wheels without getting 401A. What this shows is that it's a strictly political decision rather than a limitation of production or ordering logistics.

400A without black wheels is 1 combination

401A without black wheels is 1 combination

401A with black wheels is 1 combination.

Total is 3 combinations

If you wanted a 400A with black wheels the total would be 4. By not offering this choice, Ford has reduced the combinations a dealer has to stock by 25%. That is a big deal logistically.

To get the black wheels it ends up a 3,355 option over the 400A package loaded as similarly as it will allow. The only difference is you get the cooled seats with the 401A... so basically the $995 wheels and a $2360 cooled seat option. If the cooled seats are not important to you then you are better off just buying some aftermarket wheels and even doing a full brake upgrade with all the remaining cash.

To get the black wheels it ends up a 3,355 option over the 400A package loaded as similarly as it will allow. The only difference is you get the cooled seats with the 401A... so basically the $995 wheels and a $2360 cooled seat option. If the cooled seats are not important to you then you are better off just buying some aftermarket wheels and even doing a full brake upgrade with all the remaining cash.

It's a 1450 price difference between a loaded 400a and 401a on the Canadian site, with out black rims and brake package. The difference is more than cooled seats, it also has heated rear seats, adaptive led headlights and a little more other tech.

It's a 1450 price difference between a loaded 400a and 401a on the Canadian site, with out black rims and brake package. The difference is more than cooled seats, it also has heated rear seats, adaptive led headlights and a little more other tech.

You are right, I didn't notice the adaptive headlights or rear heated seats. Looks like also the auto dimming driver mirror, Enhanced Active Park Assist and power shade on the sunroof. The US has a larger pricing difference between an equally loaded 400A and 401A though for some reason. Its $2360 without the wheels.

*Edit: I just contacted Ford about the powershade and it looks like its simply missing from the literature when configured with the 400A group.

Edited by Fingernip