Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

16 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

So everyone that got their TSB done are they still happy with the way the car is shifting?  How is the performance now that most of you have some miles on the car do you feel it has picked up any more power ?

Sure 'nuf, baby. As I alluded to, above, had my PCM reprogram done the day after Easter, a little over 3 weeks now, & mine is going great. IOW, it's safe to come out from hiding & get your ST. ? Mine's plenty powerful!

Great feed back guys thank you.  I am putting my Escape for sale tomorrow once I get some pictures of the inside than once it sells I am off to track down a ST.  A ford Dealer has one right now that is a killer deal.  Blue/21 inch wheels, 401A, Cold weather package, glass roof (whatever it is called)  for 39,400.00  it has 11 miles on it and the build date was April 4th if he told me right.  Problem will be when my escape sells I will call him and that one will be gone and I need to sell my escape since it is paid for to use that money for a down payment.  But I am sure I will find another deal out there.  Was thinking about getting a 2020 using the logic that maybe some of these minor issues would be fixed in that model year light the adaptive head light issue but not sure I want to wait that long. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the TSB for the 8F57 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Upshift, Downshift and/or engagement concerns applies to all models with this transmission? 

I have a 2019 Ford SEL with the 8F57 transmission and am experiencing the same issue. Been in the service department 4x for more than 21 days total until the manager drove it and documented a problem in low speed performance between the 3rd and 4th gears. Was told that I am the only one who has presented this complaint to Ford engineering which must be untrue based on what I have seen thus far.

Can anyone provide some insight?

TSB.jpeg

I was told by my dealership that it applied all the 8F57 trans per the build dates listed in the TSB. They did the update for me and it took care of my concerns.  I also had some of the same issues you stated and it seemed to have worked.  

The TSB tells you exactly which vehicles are covered.  That doesn't mean all those vehicles have that problem, it just means they might have the problem that the TSB addresses.  And it is a VERY well known problem so your dealer probably isn't being truthful.

Thank you for the feedback.  I am having severe doubts about the dealership as even after I told them about the TSB I found in the ST forum, they proceeded to tell me that it probably didn’t apply to mine because they were different engines and they had already updated the latest software to the PCM. But at the same time they did tell me that they were unfamiliar with the new eight speed transmission. Doesn’t really convey a lot of confidence! I have driven so many loaners (escape, f150, fusion and mustang) and they all drove better than my vehicle. I have complained that this is a safety concern as it will often hesitate when trying to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic. Doubt they will cover repairs and depreciation if I get in an accident due to this. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SusieQFL said:

Does anyone know if the TSB for the 8F57 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Upshift, Downshift and/or engagement concerns applies to all models with this transmission? 

I have a 2019 Ford SEL with the 8F57 transmission and am experiencing the same issue. Been in the service department 4x for more than 21 days total until the manager drove it and documented a problem in low speed performance between the 3rd and 4th gears. Was told that I am the only one who has presented this complaint to Ford engineering which must be untrue based on what I have seen thus far.

Can anyone provide some insight?

27 minutes ago, Sage said:

I was told by my dealership that it applied all the 8F57 trans per the build dates listed in the TSB. They did the update for me and it took care of my concerns.  I also had some of the same issues you stated and it seemed to have worked.  

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

The TSB tells you exactly which vehicles are covered.  That doesn't mean all those vehicles have that problem, it just means they might have the problem that the TSB addresses.  And it is a VERY well known problem so your dealer probably isn't being truthful.

She has an SEL unless they did something funky at the factory, you will have the 8F35 transmision. The 8F57 was only used on the 2.7L, in the case of the edge only on the ST. So unfortunately doesn't apply.

Edited by Perblue

I have "the morning bucks", and I always use 93 octane .

My guess is that the problem is in the transmission, downstream of the engine.  Although components are so inter-related today by software, a minor hardware issue in the transmission could cause the engine to be given inappropriate commands, in an attempt to compensate.

When the trans is cold I do get some questionable shifting on occasion, like double tapping into a gear or going into 2nd and then 3rd almost instantly.  But only when I seem to be getting on it so to speak, maybe 3/4 throttle pulling onto the highway/road as I do every morning and not taking it easy because of traffic.  Even after the TSB this trans does not shift like it should, or maybe it does, but it is not anywhere near the outgoing 6 speed in that department and really only is sporty in the S mode.  If only they made it so the throttle and shifting would be the same in comfort mode as it is in sport mode without the gear hanging/high revs that Sport mode does once you are at speed and let off then this would be a nice Auto Trans for a 'Sport' vehicle and certainly closer to the ST nameplate.  It is funny that they base these things off the idea of the FoST or FiST  but with an Auto yet did not put a proper trans in it, they put a DSG trans in the new FoST in Europe as an option for crying out loud. Or at least get the programming right for it to be close to one.  In Sport mode it feels so much more connected, with the better throttle response and the what seems like harder shifts, but that rev hang and the need to either manually put in it 8th gear at highway speed or shift back to comfort makes it a pain for me.  I like the Boost Gauge up since there is no need for me to look at a tach in a vehicle with an auto trans.  And every click of the S button makes the tach come up then I have to switch back.  Don't get me started on the amount of button pushes needed to make these fun to drive or driveable in my mind.  I start it =then turn off the engine start/stop then turn off traction control, because the Sport mode there sucks, then I need to put it in S mode and click the gauge back to where I want it.  That is stupid.  It is an ST or even if it was called Sport still,  make the start/stop off by default, the trans in a sporty mode by default and the ESC switch a one button press for a Sport mode that has almost no traction control and allows the ability to slide a little more.  Or make it a one button push of the Advance Track button to Sport mode that does all these things.  Heck even in its current state you have to push the trans S button and the Advance Trak button twice to get to their Sport settings.  Then when at speed put the trans back into C mode to get all the gears.  It is dumb when in other ST's in other areas of the world you get mode settings that are for 'Sport" driving.

Edited by jamie1073

I dropped my car off at the dealership again. They test drove it and again were able to reproduce my concern. They created a log file and captured the bucking and found that its happening while holding 3rd gear. They are saying it is not during the 2-3 shift but after rather. Now they are waiting response from Ford as to the recommended work-scope. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I dropped my car off at the dealership again. They test drove it and again were able to reproduce my concern. They created a log file and captured the bucking and found that its happening while holding 3rd gear. They are saying it is not during the 2-3 shift but after rather. Now they are waiting response from Ford as to the recommended work-scope. 

Let us know how it turns out if you would. 

Car is back at the dealer again. This time I have a loaner Explorer so they can hold onto it for longer and try and figure out whats really happening. I still suspect the TSB was not properly performed but Ill give them a chance to figure it out. I took it on a 300 mile round trip to cape cod over the weekend and noticed it is also doing some weird shifting under heavy throttle when passing traffic. From 8th gear it will downshift seemingly too far, redline and hold. The 2.7 doesn't seem to breathe well at redline and falls on its face. I have to manually shift up a gear and it takes off like a rocket. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mine held gear going up a hill and I kept slowly pushing the gas down hoping it would smoothly downshift but it did not.  Instead it kept building boost and slowing down and then bam downshift and full boost and shot everyone back in their seat a little.  Not the smoothest move ever and my 70 year old parents were not amused. 

• Sad 1

Don't get me wrong the trans is better after the TSB, but it is still far from as good as the 6 speed it replaced as far as shifting and consistency.  It may have improved fuel economy but I don't see it, I drive it like I am running from the cops so that is my own issue.  I may be judging it harshly though coming from a manual.  I just feel it should shift better if it was meant to be a 'Sporty' vehicle. 

• Like 1