"Signature" Daytime Running Light Goes Off When Turn Signal Comes On

I've contacted Ford Owner with this 2019 Edge question which isn't answered by the owner's manual, & have been told that there doesn't seem to be a "known issue", so a dealership will need to run onboard diagnostics; but before my dealer tells me "No error code", I figure that I'll bounce this off of fellow owners.

Recently something caught my eye as I was stopped at a light behind a clean pickup's tailgate, during daytime with my autolamps on:   When I activate either of my turn signals, the corresponding "signature" daytime running light goes out, which to me looks about as weird as if a headlight were to go out when a turn signal is flipped on.  Interestingly, when the knob for control of the exterior lights is moved from autolamps to "headlights on", or to "parking lamps only on", both of those settings illuminate the front signature lights, yet activating a turn signal then does not extinguish the same-side signature light.  Any other '19 owners experiencing this?  Thanks.

That is normal. During daytime the signature lights are brighter to act as daytime lights, the turn off when the signal is on to make the turn signal mode visible. At night, the signature will be dimmed, compared to day time, hence no need for them to turn off with the signals. There is also a DOT (or some other regulatory) regulation that actually requires this when the the signal light & DRL are close to each other. 

I thank both of you for the replies; at the same time, I'd appreciate knowing how you are so confident that that's the case.(?)  I don't recall ever noticing a daytime running light being off when an oncoming vehicle, at an intersection, has a turn signal on.  The '19 Edge's signature lights sure don't look any less bright at night, & if the rationale for having a signature light go off during the day is because having it on would distract from the turn signal, the same would be the case "in spades" at night, with both the signature light & headlight staying on while signaling. Just doesn't seem to add up.

Edited by TomCinMI
grammar

Many other cars/SUVs do it. Even my 2016 Edge does it, though My DRLs are not the LED signature lights. Also there is a ForScan mod that can disable/enable it for modern Fords. I think this link would answer your question better than I did:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern-cars-turn-off-one-of-their-lights-when-1792394567

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Many other cars/SUVs do it. Even my 2016 Edge does it, though My DRLs are not the LED signature lights. Also there is a ForScan mod that can disable/enable it for modern Fords. I think this link would answer your question better than I did:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern-cars-turn-off-one-of-their-lights-when-1792394567

Thank you so very much!  ?

2 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

I thank both of you for the replies; at the same time, I'd appreciate knowing how you are so confident that that's the case.(?)  I don't recall ever noticing a daytime running light being off when an oncoming vehicle, at an intersection, has a turn signal on.  The '19 Edge's signature lights sure don't look any less bright at night, & if the rationale for having a signature light go off during the day is because having it on would distract from the turn signal, the same would be the case "in spades" at night, with both the signature light & headlight staying on while signaling. Just doesn't seem to add up.

I suggest you look into FMVSS Standard No. 108. which governs the NHTSA laws on automobile lighting. I'll save you the long version though. If DRL is present in the housing, it MUST turn off when signaling (same goes for tail light DRLS). If the DRL is outside of the headlight housing, must be further than 100mm from the center of the optical source or it to will have to turn off. NHTSA rules is also why American LED headlight technology sucks and  is a decade behind the world. Audi is trying and fighting hard to fix this, and is progressing pretty good evidently as all Audi Q8s that are sold in North America come with Eurospec LED tech, but "turned off" to comply with NHTSA and soon as the law changes, owners can go to dealer to get them activated for free.

Related image

Image result for drl turn signal gif

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Thanks 1

Any VW/Audi can disable 'winking' with a tool like FORScan (VAG). I used to own a VW and that tool/software is very advanced (more checkboxes with descriptions of changes/functions). I would help locals owners in exchange for a cup of coffee.

Supposed to be the following... but doesn't work on my Edge ST.

FORScan:

726-26-02    xxx*    xxxx    xxxx

DRL Switchback w/Turn Signal: 0=disable, 1=enable

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

...NHTSA rules is also why American LED headlight technology sucks and  is a decade behind the world. Audi is trying and fighting hard to fix this, and is progressing pretty good evidently as all Audi Q8s that are sold in North America come with Eurospec LED tech, but "turned off" to comply with NHTSA and soon as the law changes, owners can go to dealer to get them activated for free.

Thank you a whole lot, too; as you may have noticed, omar302 also was kind enough to hook me up on that, & your additional detail is very appreciated.  I'm plenty alright with scientific evidence-based whatever, so if the nature of human optics is that the degree of differentiation required by FMVSS Standard No. 108 is what's required for reasonable safety during daylight hours--given how distracted that drivers tend to be--I'm OK.  What Audi has incorporated as shown in that .gif, though, sure seems adequately eye-catching, lol--if it doesn't adversely affect an onlooker similarly to looking directly at welding or the sun, ha!  I read the Jalopnik article which omar302 linked.  You don't happen to know when the law is expected to change?

These laws applicable in the US are usually really useful. For example, we have here the 2016+ Lexus LX570 with sequential turn signals without turning off the DRLs, and it is difficult to notice that the signal is on until you are very close to it, but not US spec'ed versions. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, omar302 said:

These laws applicable in the US are usually really useful. For example, we have here the 2016+ Lexus LX570 with sequential turn signals without turning off the DRLs, and it is difficult to notice that the signal is on until you are very close to it, but not US spec'ed versions. 

Yeah, thanks to you & others, that's why I'm no longer concerned about a "winking" DRL on the Edge; it & the turn signal, on the 2019's, are very close together, & safety should be paramount.

Alternate Path:

Use Fogs as DRLs. Far enough away so 'legal'. With FORScan, you can set DRLs to not turn off with turn signal.

Enabled DRL Selection (BCM):

726-50-01: XXxx  (my AsBuilt was 10)

XX:

01 = Disabled / Parking Lights Only (See change below)

02 = Low Beams

04 = Front Fog Lamps

08 = Front Turn Lamps

10 = Dedicated DRL Lights (LED Light Bars/Strips) - Enables BCM DRL Outputs - C2280F (F-150) Pins 36 (Right) and 40 (Left)

20 = High Beams

40 = Low Beams and Dedicated DRL Lights

Combined with

726-26-02    xxx*    xxxx    xxxx

DRL Switchback w/Turn Signal: 0=disable, 1=enable

Trying it for a little while.

1 hour ago, bobyellow said:

"you can set DRLs to not turn off with turn signal".

Yeah but… what's the use in doing that?   :shrug:I don't see anything wrong with the DRL's turning off when using the turn signal and turning back on when the maneuver is done!…:headscratch:… I don't get it

Claude.

12 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Yeah but… what's the use in doing that?   :shrug:I don't see anything wrong with the DRL's turning off when using the turn signal and turning back on when the maneuver is done!…:headscratch:… I don't get it

Claude.

In GA it’s hard to notice since most people don’t use their turn signals at all.

Or what really gripes my butt is when they turn on the blinker AFTER they enter the turn only lane.  Hello......you need to tell me that you’re entering the turn lane.  Once you’re in it you don’t need it.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:15 AM, Waldo said:

My 2014 Fusion does this, nothing new.

My 2014 Fusion did it as well.  I remember noticing that some Dodge vehicles were doing it a few years before I bought the Fusion new in late 2013.  I just assumed that other companies copied Dodge; I didn't realize it was a standard now.

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 7:00 PM, TomCinMI said:

I don't recall ever noticing a daytime running light being off when an oncoming vehicle, at an intersection, has a turn signal on. 

Keep watching, a 'lot' of modern cars douse their DRLs when the turn signal comes on, especially when the daytime light is right next to or surrounds the turn bulb. 

Curiously with my '16 I had to use FORScan to change the code so my DRL 'would' turn off when signaling.   This was a self inflicted issue, I'd changed my DRL from the headlight to the high beam bulb (which had been changed to an LED designed to be a DRL) so the blinking signal was pretty much washed out.  Now, like yours, signals come on, DRL goes off on that side.

If you're still in doubt head to your dealership and have them fire up another new Edge on the lot.  It'll do the same trick.