2019 2.7L Oil Consumption Issue

echotango

Please redirect me if this topic has been discussed.

My 2019 Edge ST with the 2.7L ecoboost is consuming oil. It has used about 1.5 quarts in about 2,600 miles. I have done some searching, and while I find the same issue, there only seems to be articles and a Ford TSB for the 2016-2017 Edge/Fusion and Lincoln models as well as the F-150, all with the 2.7l engine from that generation. Does anyone have any knowledge of this with the current engine, or is mine a unique case? Seems a bit too coincidental that mine has the same problem as this previous gen engine. Info is appreciated, thank you!

Current mileage about 70,400

• Sad 1

Welcome.

I haven't seen any other posts with oil consumption issues in the 2.7TT which leads me to believe that its not a common problem.

Do you have an extended warranty? - if so take it in for an official oil consumption test, and depending the outcome they should cover the repairs or replacement engine.

Asl check the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve and make sure its not allowing oil to be fed into the intake, if that's good then do a compression and leak-down test.

I use a Catch-Can and it will alert me to any malfunction with the PCV system.

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, echotango said:

Please redirect me if this topic has been discussed.

My 2019 Edge ST with the 2.7L ecoboost is consuming oil. It has used about 1.5 quarts in about 2,600 miles. I have done some searching, and while I find the same issue, there only seems to be articles and a Ford TSB for the 2016-2017 Edge/Fusion and Lincoln models as well as the F-150, all with the 2.7l engine from that generation. Does anyone have any knowledge of this with the current engine, or is mine a unique case? Seems a bit too coincidental that mine has the same problem as this previous gen engine. Info is appreciated, thank you!

Current mileage about 70,400

Having the same issue with our 2019 ST. Did you get an answer? Ours is going to be looked at Friday.

• Sad 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ks3vqWXY1zMT4LpcsdqpLk5bRlb5iLFz/view?usp=drive_link

SSM 49210 - 2009-2020 Various Vehicles - Turbocharger Oil Supply Tube/Drain Tube/O-ring Or 6.7L Pedestal Gasket Oil Leaks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IU8OeBwspTXpfGvIuhfzKlTZ4H6mO3_n/view?usp=drive_link

Some 2018-2019 Edge/Continental/Fusion/MKZ, 2018 MKX, and 2019 Nautilus vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost or 3.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit an oil leak from the engine oil pan RTV seal.

Ford dealer checked for leaks and found none. Printed out a TSB for checking the oil, says let engine stand for 15 minutes after running before checking oil. Oh boy, that doesn't help me. Service manager recorded mileage and took picture of dip stick. Says bring it back after 1000 miles. It's still under factory warranty for one more year. They don't seem interested in warranty work but will do it. He mentioned I could take it to the dealer closer to me, LOL.

Side note, I had my local Ford dealer install some really nice $400/tire Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires back in March. The Continental factory tires were junk and the foam inside them made them impossible to balance. Anyway, the local Ford dealer tech installed the passenger side Michelins backwards! (yes they're directional) The other Ford dealer noticed it. I had the local dealer flip the tires on the rims that day. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have had our 2019 Edge ST since new and it has 31,000 miles on it at this time.  Prior to the last oil change I checked the oil and found that it was about 2 quarts down, which was surprising as there was not indication that it was using oil, ( Leaks, Smoke or Performance).  We have a service contract with our local Ford Dealers and they do oil and lube changes.  I mentioned it to the Tech when I took it in for service but he said he had not seen any with this issue before.  He said to check it on a regular basis and see if it is down.  Since the oil change I have been checking it and it appears to still be in the normal range but lower down.  I change oil every 5000 miles because of our heat and driving conditions in Nevada.  I have also read other post that there may be an issue with the turbo pulling oil and that is a concern. I ahve an extended warranty on the vehicle for one more year so I will defiantly  keep an eye on it.

• Sad 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, Dennis0782 said:

Prior to the last oil change I checked the oil and found that it was about 2 quarts down, which was surprising as there was not indication that it was using oil, ( Leaks, Smoke or Performance).

My doubt would be that it was not filled correctly from the oil change. Did you check it any other time since the oil change? Also, remembers that with these engines you have to wait 15 minutes before checking the oil level to ensure the level is read correctly.

• Like 1

I have an ST also with about 35000 miles.  I change my oil twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring.  Which comes out to about 3500 - 4000 miles in between.  Never had an issue with oil consumption. Only use full synthetic oil. I do find it hard to get a proper reading on the dipstick sometimes, depending on how I pull it out and which side I'm looking at.  I wonder if some of these oil consumption reports might be oil leaks, such as the infamous oil pan, or improper oil refill like omar302 suggested.