Multiple Vehicle Lines - No Longer Equipped With A Hands Free Liftgate System

Haz

While the 2024 Nautilus continues offering Hands Free Liftgate as standard equipment on Premier (102A), Reserve (202A & 203A), and Black Label (800A) trim levels, this announcement is notable...

SSM 52269   Multiple Vehicle Lines - No Longer Equipped With A Hands Free Liftgate System

2022-2024 Explorer/Aviator vehicles built on or after 28-May-2022, 2022-2024 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or after 08-Jun-2022, 2022-2024 Escape vehicles built on or after 01-Jun-2022 and 2022 Corsair vehicles built on or after 01-Jun-2022 are no longer equipped with a hands free liftgate system. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts is not a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Overall I wish mine didn't have it. In theory it is nice, having arms full of stuff to put in the cargo area, swipe of the a foot and it opens for you. Realistically I never get it right the first 5 attempts. I get my dog on the leash and out of the carrier in the cargo area, they get on the ground, walk under the bumper and it closes. I am hosing it off and it opens while it is wet and I have a hose pointed at it.

• Like 2

I personally like the feature and don't recall facing issues. May 2 or 3 times unintentionally closing, but with now drama. However, I do believe the should have had a setting to turn it on or off.

I am sure it is a cost cutting issue. Just like how they recently talked about saving $60 per vehicle if they stopped including parallel park assist

I love the feature.  I use it all the time.  Yeah, you can have an oops now and then, but man, it sure comes in handy with hands full of whatever and just kick under the bumper and open the back up.  Oh well, all good thins have to come to an end I suppose.

33 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Great in theory but not in practice.

It never works when I want it to, and only works when I don't!

You need to kick straight in and up like you’re touching the shoelaces to the bottom of the bumper 1 foot to either side of center.  Don’t wave it back and forth.  Mine works 99% of the time.