hood will not close

snaik69

Hi everyone

new to forum and new to ford. just picked up a 2011 sel a few weeks ago....

ive always regarded domestic in a negative light...but after hearing a lot of good things about ford (and other domestics) lateley i thought i would give it a shot...and have been impressed so far...

However, this morning i had to access the battery in order to give a boost to my other vehicle and i could not get the hood shut! no matter what i tried it just wont close.

it only catches on the safety catch (the position it is in when you pop the hood from inside the car). Anyone else experience this? am i missing something (a trick to it)??

much appreciated!

Hi everyone

ive always regarded domestic in a negative light...but after hearing a lot of good things about ford (and other domestics) lateley i thought i would give it a shot...and have been impressed so far...

However, this morning i had to access the battery in order to give a boost to my other vehicle and i could not get the hood shut! no matter what i tried it just wont close.

it only catches on the safety catch (the position it is in when you pop the hood from inside the car). Anyone else experience this? am i missing something (a trick to it)??

much appreciated!

My 2011 does the same thing. The trick on mine is to slam it shut. Just pushing it down won't work.

Hi everyone

much appreciated!

Pull the hood release latch again just to make sure it did not accidentally close while the hood was open.

Gotta slam mine too. Gonna see if I can adjust it a little in the summer.

On my 98 Windstar you really had to slam it hard and I fixed that by dremeling the latch mounting holes to move the latch higher. It was so bad sometimes I had to slam the hood several times to get it to close. It ended up cracking the paint on the fiberglass/plastic hood.

• 2 months later...

YES. I experienced this TODAY. 2nd day with the Edge. Almost crapped my pants. I had to slam it REALLY hard to get it to click, and i didnt like it one bit. but as long as nothings broken... suppose it works.

I agree with Sandpiper. I close it from about a foot above and have never had any issues.

You should always drop your hood on any car. Never push on it to close it. Rubber seals can be a little stiff and take some pressure to compress when closing. Pressing on the hood puts your hand on the paint and flexes the metal when you push on it.

I don't personally like the idea of having to "always drop your hood on any car". Humans are a forgetful species and if some human were to try to close these hoods with something forgotten in the engine bay, that could cause more damage than flexing some aluminum (which aluminum is meant to do, see aircraft construction).

And I put my hands on my paint ALL the time because I keep it polished and touchably soft (car and hands) wub.gif:lol: :lol:

Edited by cal3thousand

• 9 months later...

Thanks everyone for the advice on the hood closing. I have not wanted to "slam" the hood. What a dumb engineering aspect on an otherwise great car. Come on Ford, get it RIGHT. We believe in you!

what's there to get with? just drop the hood from 10" up and it shuts, no need to slam it, heck if you slam it you risk denting it, easier to just let it drop like you have to do with a lot of car hoods.

I had the same problem on my 2011 SEL. I spent 20 minutes trying to close the hood the first time I opened it!!!!! Real easy fix: Just loosen up the two or three latch screws and bring it up a little. Might be a good idea to mark the factory setting with a pencil just in case ya move it to much. The 2011 and up have a weather seal that fits really tight along the front edge of the hood. If ya don't trust your abilities, I would just run it over to the dealership and have them do it for ya.