Is Anyone Satisfied With Their Edge?

The6thTemp

i've owned a 2011 Ford Edge SE for a few days now and I absolutely love riding in it. I may have dodged a bullet by not having MFT or Sync, but I do know that everything works as it should. I do get an odd rattling noise in the driver side door (it is actually be looked at right now), but honestly it isn't that big of a deal. The car rides smooth and is even fun to drive a tad aggressively. Perhaps it is the new-ness of the car (under 200 miles now), but I honestly find myself aching to get out of work and go wash and wax the freakin' thing. I want it to shine because I've enjoyed the few hours I've ridden in it so far. I'm pretty confident as well because the dealership here in southwestern Ohio is the best Ford dealership in the state/region (including their service department). If someone can fix my issues it's them. So the awesome vehicle coupled with the confidence of the dealer makes it very enjoyable.

I have to say I am very dissatisfied with my 2011 Edge LTD. It's been back to the dealership 6 times for issues with Sync and MFT. They replaced the Sync module on the second visit and I had to go back four more times to get system updates. What really bugs me is that the main focus of the Edge advertising is MFT. That system is flawed and Ford has known about the problems since at least last July. Why can't a company as big as Ford get this right? Every time I have to go back to the dealership, I get comments about 'too many electronics' nowadays. My dealership doesn't even have inhouse techs that can work on MFT. The outside service group doesn't even start working on MFT until 12:30 each day.

I've also had issues with a rattling/fluttering noise near the driver side mirror. The dealership will have had my Edge for a week before I get it back Tuesday (hopefully FIXED). As of Friday, they still hadn't isolated and fixed the noise.

Oh - did I mention that a week and a half ago the transmission did a 'hard shift' and I thought the whole transmission had fallen out of the car - the car shook and it sounded like a bomb went off underneath. There was a TSB and they had to replace a plate in the transmission - it only has 5K miles on it!

Overall, this vehicle is a piece of crap and I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN. I took a leap of faith, after having driven imports for years, because of good press on the quality gains Ford has made. What a huge mistake!

My company buys a lot of Fords for company cars and I'm going to see what I can do to change that. BUYING THIS FORD HAS BEEN THE WORST AUTOMOBILE EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD AND I'VE OWNED OVER 20 CARS.

Well I have to sat that I too am very disapointed in the Edge. We have driven Fords forever and were looking at an import Nissan or the Edge. I made a mistake. Even though almost 100% of the MFT equiped Edges have issues i still bought one. And for the most part the dealer has had ours almost as much as we have. Mine too has a hard shift issue and has 5k miles on it. Has been back 4 times and had 2 APIM computers and three updates. Seems Ford still does not have a handle on the MFT. I should have bought the Nissan. It was cheaper and therer are no known issues. I can pretty much guarntee to anyone who buys a Ford Edge you better like the dealership cause you will spend many hours there getting the MFT worked on. Oh, and now our head liner is falling down over the passenger side front seat. Nice vehicle.

Oh - did I mention that a week and a half ago the transmission did a 'hard shift' and I thought the whole transmission had fallen out of the car - the car shook and it sounded like a bomb went off underneath. There was a TSB and they had to replace a plate in the transmission - it only has 5K miles on it!

Are you able to tell me the TSB number please? I've had 3 of these very abrupt tranny shifts (though none recently) and I'm wondering if this TSB might cover it.

Personally I think the single biggest disappointment I had with my 2011 MKX is due to my dealer incompetence / laziness and Ford's inability to train dealerships and fix known problems promptly. I've had dozens of issues with my MKX over the last 7 months and practically NONE of them have been truly solved. I probably encounter a brand-new-to-me Sync related bug every week but it is the other issues I'm having (like today's inability to start the car unless I push really hard on the brake pedal) that scare me.

Yet I enjoy the driving dynamics of the vehicle and the comfort level and features (when they work) provide excellent value for the money. I know that if I'm going to keep this vehicle for as long as I originally intended, I'm going to have invest in an extended warranty.

I love my car, but a couple issues need to be address by the dealer before I would say I'm north of 90% satisfied.

Many of the body panels are not consistent as well as some of the interior pieces. Also, I get an MFT freeze/reboot every 10 days or so. (on v2.7)

When you say the body panels are not consistent, what do you mean specifically?

it pretty obvious to me, coming from German cars.. the back of the rear doors doesnt match well to the rear body lines. but its what you expect from American. It aint German quality, although its a lot better than it used to be.

The fenders don't meet the A pillars with the same gap and flushness, The Driver's door does not line up properly where it meets the rear door, Hood is no where near flush in several points. And the center console is not perfectly aligned (There's a huge gap on one side versus the other).

I called my original dealer and the service department made it sound as if it would be easy to get my car in there and tweak it. I'll get the "first free oil change" and have them update Sync at the same time.

We are on our second Edge- the first one a 2007 AWD limited. Currently we have a 2010 Sport with SYNC. The first Edge was flawless. We looked long and hard at the competition before leasing our second Edge. Nothing came close in our opinion as far as ride, comfort, room, great looks and decent gas mileage for a roomy 6 cylinder SUV. It was an easy decision to lease a second one. So far the Sport has been flawless too- had it since Aug 2010 and have 6K on it. I opted for the Sport model mainly to get the 22 inch wheels. We use our Edge for everything- hauling our dogs around, Kayaks and bikes on top, cargo and people. We are very satisfied with it and plan to buy it out at the end of the three year lease.

• Like 1

Have 2010 SE black on black.

Got it month before 2011 model started selling at dealerships. Got SE for few reasons - cost and base model (not sure I can trust Ford's electronics yet). Only thing I wish I had is SYNC. Have it on 2nd car and, even thou it is not the best system, still happy with it

Had wind noise on driver's door and dealership fixed 2nd time arround. First time they played stupid and did nothing to the car but claimed everything was fixed and road tests done. Not sure why but I recorded odmeter's reading before leaving the car so when came to pick it up had only 300m more on the clock. So the whole hell broke loose when I figured out what happened and they made sure this time everything was done right

Wife (her daily drive + family car) loves it

Just need new rims and tires - that will go on next year when it is time for new tires

Hello Everyone,

I just bought my 2011 Edge Sport a little over a week ago and even before I bought it I was a member here. I've been reading a lot about the issues many people have been having with their Edge and I was just wondering if there are people who are completely satisfied with their Edge and how long have you had it?

Thanks for your time everyone!!

I bought my 2011 Edge Limted FWD with most of the options (302A, Dual Headrest DVD system, 20" wheels, tow package, Nav System, MFT and BAMR, but not the cargo accessory package or the illuminated door sill plates), Platinum White. I absolutly LOVE my new car! I traded in a 14 year old Civic with well over 350,000 miles on it. The Civic was on its last miles, the distrubtor was shot, the exhaust manifold was cracked, the automatic locks stopped working years ago along with the factory installed alarm system, the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced, the vehicle speed sensor died and the timing belt was overdue by about 75,000 miles. Yes, I was ready for a new car.

I was attracted to the Edge by the cool technology and other features it offered. The looks and features also won me over compared to the Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain, Nissan Murano and Lexus RX450h. Yes, there were features I liked on the other vehicles, but the Edge's overall package was the best deal. Even though I could have gotten a discount on the Lexus. However, I will admit.... after reading the forums for weeks, I was very concerned about the My Ford Touch system. Obviously I still "pulled the trigger". I bought the Ford ESP plan just in case (5 years or 100,000 miles).

I sure would hate to jinx myself, but so far, I have not experienced any of the problems I have read on this forum. The back-up camera works as it should with no delay in switching from reverse to drive, all of the touch-buttons are equally responsive, voice recognition is almost perfect (I'm still trying to get the hang of voice command for the Nav system) and the fit and trim is excellent. The version of MFT I have is 2.8. I think my car was built in late March and I took delivey on Memorial Day. There was about 25 miles on it when I took it out for my test drive.

What made the deal better for me was that Ford was offering a guaranteed $1000 for my car (until Memorial Day) AND the dealership tossed in an additional $200! I also took advantage of the $1000 cash back and the $750 coupon. I have driven my car almost 2 weeks now and have almost 1500 miles on it already. Back in 1991 I bought a brand new Ford Explorer and I had great luck with that car. I drove it for 330,000 miles and 10 years before I sold it to my neighbor. I am hoping to have similar luck with my new Edge, cause as you might be able to tell, I keep my cars for a while.

The things I am not 100% satisfied with? Well, I'm only 5'6" and I must remember to duck while entering the car or I could bang my head on the door/roof line. I'm also a bit dissapointed in the gas mileage I'm getting, so far I have averaged about 22-23 mpg. I'll miss my Honda's 31 mpg. I really was hoping to buy the EcoBoost engine, but as I described above, I don't think my Honda would have made it till that engine makes it to the Edge (around September I think). My Honda was due for registration AND Smog. With the cracked exhaust manifold and bad oxygen sensor, I didn't want to put more money into it (my mechanic wanted $2000).

Yes, it is night and day from my Civic to my Edge and I am loving it!

:rockon: :happy feet: :worship::yahoo::woohoo: :roses: :hi5::woot:

I bought my 2011 Edge Limted FWD with most of the options (302A, Dual Headrest DVD system, 20" wheels, tow package, Nav System, MFT and BAMR, but not the cargo accessory package or the illuminated door sill plates), Platinum White. I absolutly LOVE my new car! I traded in a 14 year old Civic with well over 350,000 miles on it. The Civic was on its last miles, the distrubtor was shot, the exhaust manifold was cracked, the automatic locks stopped working years ago along with the factory installed alarm system, the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced, the vehicle speed sensor died and the timing belt was overdue by about 75,000 miles. Yes, I was ready for a new car.

I was attracted to the Edge by the cool technology and other features it offered. The looks and features also won me over compared to the Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain, Nissan Murano and Lexus RX450h. Yes, there were features I liked on the other vehicles, but the Edge's overall package was the best deal. Even though I could have gotten a discount on the Lexus. However, I will admit.... after reading the forums for weeks, I was very concerned about the My Ford Touch system. Obviously I still "pulled the trigger". I bought the Ford ESP plan just in case (5 years or 100,000 miles).

I sure would hate to jinx myself, but so far, I have not experienced any of the problems I have read on this forum. The back-up camera works as it should with no delay in switching from reverse to drive, all of the touch-buttons are equally responsive, voice recognition is almost perfect (I'm still trying to get the hang of voice command for the Nav system) and the fit and trim is excellent. The version of MFT I have is 2.8. I think my car was built in late March and I took delivey on Memorial Day. There was about 25 miles on it when I took it out for my test drive.

What made the deal better for me was that Ford was offering a guaranteed $1000 for my car (until Memorial Day) AND the dealership tossed in an additional $200! I also took advantage of the $1000 cash back and the $750 coupon. I have driven my car almost 2 weeks now and have almost 1500 miles on it already. Back in 1991 I bought a brand new Ford Explorer and I had great luck with that car. I drove it for 330,000 miles and 10 years before I sold it to my neighbor. I am hoping to have similar luck with my new Edge, cause as you might be able to tell, I keep my cars for a while.

The things I am not 100% satisfied with? Well, I'm only 5'6" and I must remember to duck while entering the car or I could bang my head on the door/roof line. I'm also a bit dissapointed in the gas mileage I'm getting, so far I have averaged about 22-23 mpg. I'll miss my Honda's 31 mpg. I really was hoping to buy the EcoBoost engine, but as I described above, I don't think my Honda would have made it till that engine makes it to the Edge (around September I think). My Honda was due for registration AND Smog. With the cracked exhaust manifold and bad oxygen sensor, I didn't want to put more money into it (my mechanic wanted $2000).

Yes, it is night and day from my Civic to my Edge and I am loving it!

:rockon: :happy feet: :worship::yahoo::woohoo: :roses: :hi5::woot:

The mileage you are getting on your Edge is near the sticker max, so that is good. As far as the nav commands, I found using sync services navigation a LOT easier. Press sync, say services, then directions. It recognizes numbers and street names MUCH better. You must have a phone paired, though. Also, try sending an address to your car through Google. Than is NICE! Then you "pick it up" through sync services when you get in your car.

Had my 2008 LTD AWD for about a month now and I love it. No complaints at all, converted the interior to LEDs and it is even better! The problem with coming to a forum is that people are usually here searching for a resolution to a problem, the vast majority of drivers don't have issues and so don't frequent message boards. Therefore you are more likely to find people bashing products than praising them. For myself, I am here to learn about the vehicle and how to troubleshoot and fix it myself just in case. Also, to get tips on how to improve the way things came from the factory. All in all, I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and hate to admit it but I like my Edge better...

• Like 1

The mileage you are getting on your Edge is near the sticker max, so that is good. As far as the nav commands, I found using sync services navigation a LOT easier. Press sync, say services, then directions. It recognizes numbers and street names MUCH better. You must have a phone paired, though. Also, try sending an address to your car through Google. Than is NICE! Then you "pick it up" through sync services when you get in your car.

Thanks for the tips on the Nav System! I have tried it a couple of times now and it does seem to make a difference. One thing I am uncertain of though... how do I send an address to my car through Google? :unsure: :headscratch:

Thanks for the tips on the Nav System! I have tried it a couple of times now and it does seem to make a difference. One thing I am uncertain of though... how do I send an address to my car through Google? :unsure: :headscratch:

Go to google.com, then click on maps. type in an address and the map of that area will show up. On the right, near the top you will see "print send link"

Click on send, then car. Enter the make and model and phone number, then click send. All done.

Get in your car, go to sync services, directions , and the voice should ask you if you want to go to the google destination, or something like that.

Go to google.com, then click on maps. type in an address and the map of that area will show up. On the right, near the top you will see "print send link"

Click on send, then car. Enter the make and model and phone number, then click send. All done.

Get in your car, go to sync services, directions , and the voice should ask you if you want to go to the google destination, or something like that.

such a cool feature but why oh why is it only available in the US?

i am pretty happy with my MKX which I have had for about 2 months. no serious SYNC issues or anything else for that matter. most comfortable thing i have ever owned and its fun to drive

I just purchased a used 2010 Limited last week with all the bells and whistles to replace my near-death 2004 VW Passat GL station wagon. Got the Edge because we were absolutely going to buy a Ford (great experience with my wife's Mustang convertible and my daughter's Mercury Sable -- my VW stunk!) and it was the closest thing to a mid-size station wagon that Ford makes. Wife likes it because of the high ride and view, large size and all the bells and whistles. I, on the other hand, am considerably less impressed. I don't care anything about the bells and whistles; I am satisfied with an AM/FM radio with CD and casette player and use a paper map to get where I am going. And I absolutely do not want to able to talk hands off or even hands on with a cell phone when I am driving. I don't like the high center of gravity or the spongy feel to the ride -- I don't feel like I am in control of the vehicle and that it is going to tip over if I take a corner too fast. And I am extremely uncomfortable driving to and from work in any kind of traffic -- the car feels so wide, that I am constantly concerned that I am going to hit something on my right hand side. Note, this is a misperception; there is really plenty of room, but I haven't yet gotten a sense of where the car is yet. My wife demonstrated how much room there really is by getting out and guiding me in to the garage when we parked tonight (kept track of where the corners of the car were and give me hand signals to avoid the walls), but I haven't driven it enough to develop that "body sense." I think this will probably be a very good and reliable vehicle in the long run and an excellent choice for trips, plus pretty good for hauling stuff. But my impression so far as been formed by only driving about 10 miles each way to and from work on a US highway and not for extended periods or on an interstate, so I will keep an open mind unitl after our family trips to Disney World and North Carolina next month. So my first impression is that this is probably an excellent suburban "mommie-mobile," but it is not a driver's car. If you like a sport tuned suspension, low center of gravity, quick steering response, flat cornering and prefer a manual transmission that actually lets you drive a car instead of steering a rolling padded armchair with built in stereo system, look elsewhere.

I have not driven the 2010 version but I have the 2011, which has upgraded the suspension. Its not a sports car like my 08 miata but handles pretty well for a bigger car. Perhaps you can look at the suspension changes to the 2011 and upgrade your 2010. Upgraded sway bars front and rear are a fairly cheap investment. Just a thought.

We're had our Sport AWD for about 6 months and we really enjoy it. It's still the original MyTouch software so it gets a LITTLE laggy at times but no issues with reboots, etc. I'll update the software one of these days but otherwise we REALLY like this vehicle. It gets all kinds of looks and questions around here. Our previous 07 Edge had 1 trip to the dealer for a replacement exhaust bracket so reliability has been excellent.