Ventilated/cooled seats in the 2016 fixed?

Ah ha, now I get it.

Hum, thought the cool seat bottom was all you got with A/C seats, never had them before. It is going to be a moot point for me as it turns out life and car ordering is a compromise anyhow. My ordered sport is a 400A package on purpose and one of the things I had to give up was cooled seats.

Summer is just one month of poor dog sledding here anyway. :)

copied from

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3533373#post3533373

TSB 16-0080

May 4 2016 3026 - 2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Explorer - Climate Controlled Seats - Lack Of Cooling Performance From The Front Seat Backrest - Built On Or Before 2/12/2016

Going to check in with dealership in with the correct number TSB 16-0080

Edited by Picturepro

My 2016 Edge Sport was built 2/15/16 and just the seat bottoms cool off, not the backs.

I don't believe they were "fixed" after 2/12/16 from the factory.

I've was told by 3 different Ford dealers that they are designed for the bottom cooling only.

FYI,

My GF's 2016 Jeep Cherokee seats cool the bottoms only with a slight cool feeling at the very lower lumbar region for comparison.

Just bought a 16 sport on Saturday. Seat back does not cool, seats barely get cool. Also tries the heated seats and didn't get anywhere near as hot/warm as in my 09 Escape. Salesman says it probably has to do with the seats in the sport model. I'll have to checker with service.

16-0080 is the same TSB 15-0166

Can you expand on 16-0080 being the same as 15-0166? Why would Ford come out with a new TSB number?

Personally, I find I really have to get access to the electrical technician in the shop to get more dependable answers, or else it's like the telephone game.

Dealer only said it was already done 15-0166. I said they issue more TSB under different number., said yes

I had no other option to put my tail between my legs and sweat down my back and drive away

hopefully someone (FORD) can respond and with a PDF of this new 16-0080.

Summer is coming and I want to spend some time in the desert in 90-110 degree heat

I want the AC seats to work or much better than this 15-0166 update

Edited by Picturepro

Can you expand on 16-0080 being the same as 15-0166? Why would Ford come out with a new TSB number?

Personally, I find I really have to get access to the electrical technician in the shop to get more dependable answers, or else it's like the telephone game.

The repair procedure is exactly the same on both TSB's. The only difference is they updated the build dates of affected vehicles to broaden the scope. I had the update done on mine and it didn't really help.

• Like 1

My Edge was built after the effected dates and the back portions do not cool at all. I drove a late 2015 Edge and a different 2016 Edge built in January and they both did not cool the back portions. I have not come across any Ford employee with knowledge of vehicle operations (sales/service manager/technician/Ford customer service direct) to state the back portions are meant to cool, regardless of whatever parts are installed in the seat backs.

Edited by bmwta

My Edge was built after the effected dates and the back portions do not cool at all. I drove a late 2015 Edge and a different 2016 Edge built in January and they both did not cool the back portions. I have not come across any Ford employee with knowledge of vehicle operations (sales/service manager/technician/Ford customer service direct) to state the back portions are meant to cool, regardless of whatever parts are installed in the seat backs.

The feature says heated and cooled seats, not heated and cooled seat bottoms. There is also the TSB to fix the issue in the seatback in addition to the parts.

Saying only the bottoms are cooled is the service dept's way of saying we don't want to mess with it.

After realizing that the work done last time by applying TSB15-0166 gave no better result, I went back in today. The service rep kept telling he saw with his owns eyes the work done by the technician, to which I replied, "I believe you, but the issue is that it's not working". I showed the service rep what the readings were from my laser thermometer on the seat back that had been on high cool for the last half hour: same as the passenger seat with the cooling set to off.

That got the attention of the service manager who is now escalating up to Ford Corp. I'm not expecting any miracle short term. I'm posting this to encourage owners to escalate as well or else I suspect we'll never see a final solution to this issue.

By the way, the seat bottom cools no more than 22°C (71.6°F), not sitting on it. It certainly doesn't get any better with my butt on it.

I would really like to hear from those lucky ones that say, "it freezes their butt". Try to quantify that "freezing" sensation:

• Measure if you can with a laser thermometer or give an albeit subjective estimate (range, between 'x' and 'y' degrees)
  • what setting is it one (1, 2, 3) ?
  • What was the ambient interior temperature?
  • How long did it take to get the seat to a sustained cooling level?