What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

1 hour ago, vtchopperdude said:

Ya, it definitely has a variable speed. I turned the car on last night, with the AC on. The fan was running. After about 5 mins, you hear the fan kick up to a higher speed, and sounds like a jet taking off. So, the variable speed seems to be working. What else could be the problem causing warm air to blow at idle/traffic stop????

Is it possible there's a safety limiter built in?  I.e, there is a possibility that the system simply can't cool the condenser enough at 0 mph and full fan speed when it's 114 deg. out so to save itself it shuts down the compressor until enough airflow is available to safely run it (I'm referring to the OP who's in AZ...I'm assuming you're in Vermont based on handle, which I doubt is 114 deg. but still the premise may be valid). 

• Like 1

There are failsafe mechanisms, but in engine overheat situations only, where normal cooling procedures fail to reduce engine/coolant temps.  Then you have alternate cylinder firing, with air being used to cool the cylinder not fired.  Has been a Ford strategy for at least the last 14 years or so.

Compressor shutdown may also happen during extended WOT runs.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jombi said:

Is it possible there's a safety limiter built in?  I.e, there is a possibility that the system simply can't cool the condenser enough at 0 mph and full fan speed when it's 114 deg. out so to save itself it shuts down the compressor until enough airflow is available to safely run it (I'm referring to the OP who's in AZ...I'm assuming you're in Vermont based on handle, which I doubt is 114 deg. but still the premise may be valid). 

I'm in south GA, and it's in the high 90s and high humidity when it has trouble at idle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night my car was broken into. Most of my neighbors  have  security cameras of one kind or another, and it was a gang of 3 men  ( could have been more, but the videos  only captured 3 of them. They hit every car on the street and somehow opened my car as fast as if they had keys. They could not get into my neighbors Audi or his Chevy truck though. Two men on one side of the street, one man on the other side. They could cover and watch each other work from across the street. If I had confronted the one guy his buddies across the street could rescue him and mess me up. 3 on 1 .... we got to see what they were wearing and the face of one. The thieves rifled through my car and only took a couple dollars. The car stank of booze like a dirty bum.   They were in and out of my car in about  one minute. No damages that I can see just a few bucks. . Now,  I will start locking the gate, install motion sensor lights, and add more cameras to get better videos.  

• Sad 5

13 hours ago, Xtra said:

Now,  I will start locking the gate, install motion sensor lights, and add more cameras to get better videos.  

What you need is this little guy:  https://amzn.to/3eMxZrN

It steps 5 volts up to 40 kilovolts, enough for an eye opening shock but the amperage is really low so you won't actually kill anyone (probably).  You'll find 'how to' videos on YouTube showing how to rig your door handle(s) with a switch so when someone gives the handle a tug (with the vehicle locked) the current flows from their hand to ground.  It has the makings of a really fun video. ;)

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

What you need is this little guy:  https://amzn.to/3eMxZrN

It steps 5 volts up to 40 kilovolts, enough for an eye opening shock but the amperage is really low so you won't actually kill anyone (probably).  You'll find 'how to' videos on YouTube showing how to rig your door handle(s) with a switch so when someone gives the handle a tug (with the vehicle locked) the current flows from their hand to ground.  It has the makings of a really fun video. ;)

Very interesting, as much as I would like to use something like this, or a baseball bat, the liability is too great for me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Sorry to hear that your Edge was violated, Xtra.  Damage or no, it is an unsettling feeling.

Thank you, everyone, for your support. You are correct WWWPerf-ZNOW, though there was no damage and the loss of a couple of bucks is minor,   I do feel violated, the guy walked past my gate, up my driveway, and the car was just 10 feet from my front door. Photos have been posted on our local neighborhood watch website, and the police have been notified.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:43 PM, Xtra said:

Last night my car was broken into. Most of my neighbors  have  security cameras of one kind or another, and it was a gang of 3 men  ( could have been more, but the videos  only captured 3 of them. They hit every car on the street and somehow opened my car as fast as if they had keys. They could not get into my neighbors Audi or his Chevy truck though. Two men on one side of the street, one man on the other side. They could cover and watch each other work from across the street. If I had confronted the one guy his buddies across the street could rescue him and mess me up. 3 on 1 .... we got to see what they were wearing and the face of one. The thieves rifled through my car and only took a couple dollars. The car stank of booze like a dirty bum.   They were in and out of my car in about  one minute. No damages that I can see just a few bucks. . Now,  I will start locking the gate, install motion sensor lights, and add more cameras to get better videos.  

Xtra, I am sorry that happened to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1