2014 Ford Edge low beams are terrible

Hi. Got my wife a 2014 ford edge recently and it's a great car. She loves it and on the few occasions I drive it I enjoy it as well. At night , however, the low beam lights are not great. Pretty much no roadside lighting. Turns i make everyday for years I am struggling to see. 

Is this a potential aiming problem or should I start looking into some brighter options?

3 hours ago, fishx65 said:

1st thing I would do to a 11-14 is throw a 35/5000 hid kit in it.  Hids work really well in those halogen projectors even though some people will tell you it's impossible.  Just make sure to do it right with a nice waterproof harness that has two separate relays. 

Quick question, why do you say 2 relays? Most harnesses I've been looking at have one relay related at 40A, so perfectly able to switch 2x35W HID's. Genuinely curious? Also does the relay option throw errors?

17 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

most people complain due to the cutoff, they want to be able to see what's on top of the 20ft tree, which is irrelevant to driving. I had 2013, didn't have an issue with the halogens, it's a projector and all the light is focused on the road where it should be.

The road lighting is fine. It is impossible to read street names or see any potential deer on the side of the road which is pretty common here. Never had this problem with any of our previous cars. Of course this is the first car either of us have owned that has projectors so I dont know if this is common or not. I have noticed the headlights seem to be a common complaint on this car though so I will continue reading.

Edited by Rbrant35

On 12/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, RyanGlenn said:

How are the lens covers, do they have much clouding/hazing? Are you happy with the high beam coverage/brightness?

The lens covers are in great shape and I am more than happy with the high beams. Low beams seem to be the only problem and their brightness is just fine on the road. Just not used to not being able to see anything on the roadside. 

4 hours ago, timfountain said:

Quick question, why do you say 2 relays? Most harnesses I've been looking at have one relay related at 40A, so perfectly able to switch 2x35W HID's. Genuinely curious? Also does the relay option throw errors?

I like running two relays cuz it lessons the odds of losing both headlights at the same time.  I also carry my old halogen bulbs in the back.  After market HID kits aren't known for their durability but I've been really lucky with my 6 year old cheap DDM kit. 

6 minutes ago, fishx65 said:

I like running two relays cuz it lessons the odds of losing both headlights at the same time.  I also carry my old halogen bulbs in the back.  After market HID kits aren't known for their durability but I've been really lucky with my 6 year old cheap DDM kit. 

Totally makes sense. Thanks. And yes, I also keep the H11's in the trunk in case or problems....

10 hours ago, fishx65 said:

1st thing I would do to a 11-14 is throw a 35/5000 hid kit in it.  Hids work really well in those halogen projectors even though some people will tell you it's impossible.  Just make sure to do it right with a nice waterproof harness that has two separate relays. 

Thats what I did. It’s  Way better. But I have a 2016. 

I had a 2009 Mercury Sable and now have 2014 Ford Taurus and 2017 Ford Edge. All 3 have had their low beam headlights adjusted per the Ford recommendation in the manual which is all the same. This puts the low beam a little too low. I set the vehicle up at 25ft from my garage door at night, the books say to adjust the height on the garage at 25ft to equal the height of the headlight at the vehicle, I adjust it to approximately 2 inches above that. I then check it on the road to make sure that on the back of a full size sedan (that's in front of me) that the top of the light does not shine into the rear window, go back and adjust if necessary. When adjusting cover one of the headlights and adjust the other. Also make sure that the drivers side is not to high as this will blind on-coming drivers. That little bit of height increase really helps a lot.

First off, yes, these headlights suck! There is very little side vision, which is also a  problem for us as we live in an area with deer everywhere.. It is my biggest gripe with the vehicle, by far. One thing I did was switch to a halogen bulb made by VOSLA. It is a +30 % and I would agree that it is at least that much of an increase. It is not one of the blue bulbs, as they are useless. The light output is a bit whiter than standard halogen, rated @ 3500k. So far my wife and I are both happier with these bulbs, but still, the side light output is terrible..

1 hour ago, gtyates said:

Honest question. How does changing to an HID bulb increase the side vision problem? Sincere question.

it doesn't, to get better width you would have to swap the whole projector. Lexus LS460 has one of the widest beams on the market. Here's an old old old thread on it
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/general-discussion-aa/36835-ls460-bi-xenon-or-ls460-help-me-choose-bcause-i-love-them-both-comp-pics-inside

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 1:26 PM, Nick Halstead said:

it doesn't, to get better width you would have to swap the whole projector. Lexus LS460 has one of the widest beams on the market. Here's an old old old thread on it
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/general-discussion-aa/36835-ls460-bi-xenon-or-ls460-help-me-choose-bcause-i-love-them-both-comp-pics-inside

Thanks Nick. That is my understanding of basic physics as well...  HID kits might make my lights "brighter", but I am more concerned about dodging the deer that run out of the woods to my side as I drive at night. My neighbor hit a deer a couple of months ago just outside of our neighborhood. He, too, has projector headlamps and he did not see it run out until it was too late.. So far I HATE projectors! My Sport Trac has reflectors and the usable light is so much better! Projectors may be better for straight ahead vision, maybe, but....

On 1/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, gtyates said:

Honest question. How does changing to an HID bulb increase the side vision problem? Sincere question.

Can't explain how adding HIDs to a 2011-2014 increases side lighting but it does.  I noticed it big time on my night trips to the cabin in dear infested northern Michigan.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, rwf78155 said:

Doubled the brightness ..... The ONLY problem I even noticed were people in oncoming traffic would flash me to go to Low beam when in fact I already was !

And you don't consider this an indication that something is wrong?  This happens most frequently when people foolishly install HIDs in reflector lamps but with projectors it probably means that they are aimed incorrectly.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, rwf78155 said:

Doubled the brightness ..... The ONLY problem I even noticed were people in oncoming traffic would flash me to go to Low beam when in fact I already was !

They flash you because you are blinding them. That is unsafe for the other drivers and also you.

• Like 2

Always check the cutoffs with halogens, make sure they are accurate.  Then compare to the cutoffs with LEDs (and they SHOULD have cutoffs).  Adjust the headlamp if necessary to achieve the same cutoff as with the halogen bulbs.  Might be all that is needed.  Newer LED bulbs are a vast improvement over bulbs from 5 years ago.  But the only bulbs that can be recommended, without independent testing, are from Diode Dynamics and vLED.  The rest you have to confirm for yourself and be ready to return to the seller.

• 2 weeks later...