Any changes expected for the 2020 Ford Edge ST ?

vmaxbaby

Fully loaded (including the high performance brakes) the ST is $50,070 before any incentives or discounts.  

There is nothing comparable at the base model price. The euro equivalents are actually a few bucks higher and Im sure you do not get all the bells and whistles as well. 

Edited by onyxbfly

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

Seriously nothing at all. Closest you will get is maybe a durango R/T or similar but wont handle as well and wont be as quick. The ST starts at 43K in the US and ill bet there are some the leave dealer lots at or below 40K in base trim.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Street price is in the high 40s.   What else can you get in that price range with similar size and performance?

I stand corrected. 401A  package, cold weather package and 21" wheels sans performance brakes are in the low 40's! Thats a tremendous savings from the sticker price. 

4 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Seriously nothing at all. Closest you will get is maybe a durango R/T or similar but wont handle as well and wont be as quick. The ST starts at 43K in the US and ill bet there are some the leave dealer lots at or below 40K in base trim.

you would have to start shopping New Edge Vs Used Vehicles of a higher tier. 2017 Audi SQ5 falls in low $40k range (A vastly bigger aftermarket community also). May be others around the area, not to familiar with anything other than Audi and Ford though when it comes to SUVs. If I could take this SQ5 (click link)s, engine/brakes/Wheels/interior and put it on the exterior of my Sport, I'd be extremely satisfied. As a big Audi fan I hate all their SUVs styling except Q8 and 2019 SQ5.

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

you would have to start shopping New Edge Vs Used Vehicles of a higher tier. 2017 Audi SQ5 falls in low $40k range (A vastly bigger aftermarket community also). May be others around the area, not to familiar with anything other than Audi and Ford though when it comes to SUVs. If I could take this SQ5 (click link)s, engine/brakes/Wheels/interior and put it on the exterior of my Sport, I'd be extremely satisfied. As a big Audi fan I hate all their SUVs styling except Q8 and 2019 SQ5.

As awesome as the German cars are I would never buy one used. Not unless it had a ton of warranty remaining and I didn’t plan to keep it more than a few years. The SQ5 would hold its value well as long as you don’t own it more than 8-10 years though. 

10 hours ago, omar302 said:

I checked that myself earlier and compared the transmission ratios of the Edge Sport to the ST & found that all six ratios of the Sport are included in the ST with the addition of an extra ratio between the 2nd & 3rd (edit: correct is between 1st & 2nd) of the Sport & an extra overdrive, beyond the Sport's overdrive. I'll try to look for the table comparison I made and post it here. 

Here is the comparison table I made, it is a 2016 Edge Sport (2015-2018 should be similar) compared to the 2019 Edge ST:

image.png.f8f3797765375548f196e13782564b66.png

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

As awesome as the German cars are I would never buy one used. Not unless it had a ton of warranty remaining and I didn’t plan to keep it more than a few years. The SQ5 would hold its value well as long as you don’t own it more than 8-10 years though. 

a 2017 SQ5 with Audi Care still has lots of free maint/free services/free oil changes left on it and (personal experiences here) a way better dealer experience.

Where i live there are no European dealers within an hour and a half from me. Your local dealers are domestic, Hyundai or Toyota. So only other options somewhat similar to an edge would be something srt. The extra planning for maintenance, the hassle/time spent of getting it to the dealer for any warranty work or if it refuses to run on top of the significant price difference made anything European not an option.

8 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

a 2017 SQ5 with Audi Care still has lots of free maint/free services/free oil changes left on it and (personal experiences here) a way better dealer experience.

I tend to prefer to maintain my own vehicles. I feel much more comfortable if I'm going to potentially own it beyond its warranty to know its complete service life and not just hope the mechanic wasn't having a bad day and decided to cut corners. As a trained auto mechanic I have seen all sorts of really shady practices. 

• Like 2

In November our dealer had a 2018 Edge Sport loaded.  Platinum white and it had the windows sticker at 45 or 46ish.  I looked at it at least 5 times thinking should I get this or hold out for the ST.  Each time I went to the dealer the same sales guy would greet me and I would tell him the same thing.  " Just looking"  on the last visit he said that someone made them an offer of 38K and they accepted it but the finance fell through for the guy so he told me if I was interested he would sell to me for 38K.  Only one they had and the owner wanted it sold since 2019 models were coming in.  I though long and hard on it but still wanted to wait for the ST to see what it was all about.   Now I am wondering if the same will hold true, if Oct - Nov comes around and a dealer has a 2019 sitting on the lot and the 2020 is around the corner if they will slash prices even more.  And my other though while all this was going on is if they have it reduced to 38K  I wonder how much the car really does cost the dealership or was the salesman straight with me when he said they are telling a huge lost and just want it sold.  

On a $46K sticker dealer invoice is around $44K maybe $43500.   They get 3% holdback from Ford so that makes it just over $42K.  There are probably some other incentives based on volume, etc. but not a lot.   It really depends on the factory rebates.  $4K or higher they were at least breaking even.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2019 at 11:13 PM, omar302 said:

Here is the comparison table I made, it is a 2016 Edge Sport (2015-2018 should be similar) compared to the 2019 Edge ST:

image.png.f8f3797765375548f196e13782564b66.png

It is interesting that the ST has more power and a higher final drive ration and that extra gear at 2nd yet is slower in 0-60 times than the Sport it replaced.  Shifting must be slower or adding that gear in between slowed it down by needing an extra shift point.  Now I will need to pay attention and see if it needs to shift to 3rd to hit 60 and that cause the slightly slower times. 

34 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

It is interesting that the ST has more power and a higher final drive ration and that extra gear at 2nd yet is slower in 0-60 times than the Sport it replaced.  Shifting must be slower or adding that gear in between slowed it down by needing an extra shift point.  Now I will need to pay attention and see if it needs to shift to 3rd to hit 60 and that cause the slightly slower times. 

I don’t believe it is slower. Reviews have 0-60 all over the place. I want to see a fully broken in true 0-60 comparison. I would estimate it is around 5.4 seconds to 60.

I don’t believe it is slower. Reviews have 0-60 all over the place. I want to see a fully broken in true 0-60 comparison. I would estimate it is around 5.4 seconds to 60.

Yeah I wonder if the test mules were broken in yet. There is a noticeable difference in boost after you hit 1000-1200 miles on the clock.  Heck even after 500-600 boost holds higher than before that mileage.  Mine consistently holds 16psi now that is has 2000 miles on it.  I have not seen it hit and hold more than that yet.  Bounces off the 19-20 mark then drops to 16.  Maybe it will need more boost when warmer out to make power.  I have seen that the charge air temp on a pull goes up about 25-30 degrees so the IC sucks for keeping temps down.  It does drop back down after you let off and are at speed with flow. 

I have thought the same thing about the mileage and the testing.  I am guessing they took a brand new vehicle maybe with less than a hundred miles on it and was out railing on it to get those numbers.  I had a 2012 Focus I got new  (Not ST) and when I drove it off the lot I was thinking this thing runs good but nothing great, but after 3-4K miles on it when everything was broke in it was allot better.  And when they gave the Edge ST over to testers what gas was in it?  On my 14 Escape in the manual it say 240hp but has two asterisks and at the bottom of the page says something along the  lines with must use high test for max power.  

• 3 months later...

Went  to my local Ford Dealer today and they told me two interesting things.  Sadly being my local dealer I don't have 100 percent faith in what they tell me but that is why I turn to this forum for the real answers.  :)

So they said the Order Bank for the 2020 Edge will be October.  ( not sure why they call it a order bank... but anyhow)  my real question to them was what is changing for 2020.  The sales guy had no idea so he got a manager and according to him what he has been told is the dash will be a redesign for 2020.   Much like the escape/explorer.  He couldn't tell me anything else about engine, power, paint, etc.  but he said the Edge has gotten beat up for the dated dash and Ford is going to do work on it.  I have seen nothing on the internet about that and like I said above I am not sure of anything they tell me is 100%.   So just running it up the flag pole here to see if you all have heard of anything? 

I finally put my escape for sale and now rethinking if I should wait and see or at least hear about the 2020.  It seems like Ford is getting the bugs worked out of the 19 but at times when I am on here and read some issues people are having it makes me a little gun shy and also reminds me what I have always been told don't buy the first year of something new.  On a plus side of the ST here in Virginia a few dealers have them with 401a package, cold weather, 20 inch rims, for 38-39K which is a great price i think compared to the prices when they first came out. 

Here is my escape that I am selling so think it will go fast but thinking maybe should pull down the ad till I know about the 2020.  Let me know if you guys have any info. 

http://www.flairphoto2.com/escape.htm

Edited by vmaxbaby

Order bank for the 2020 Edge opens 7/15 and we should have the order guide around the same date detailing the changes.   

Job 1 is 9/30.   If they were changing the interior I think we would have seen a preview at one of the major auto shows, so I don’t expect it to change.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:37 AM, Fingernip said:

With the updated trans TSB and fully broken in all I can get with my OBDII and a using the Car Scanner app on my phone the best I can get is 5.8.  It is the slow shifts and the lack of full boost, seems limited in 1st and 2nd like the FoST and FiST are, that keeps it slow.  Tried both just flooring it and a mix of holding the gas and brakes.  It just does build boost at all in first gear, I am sure even a mild tune would correct that.  It also has that extra gear and slow nonchalant shifts. 

After it gets going though it is nice and quick. 

Edited by jamie1073
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/14/2019 at 6:14 AM, MrHappy said:

I heard the 2020's are bumping horsepower and torque by 25% and dropping the price 10% due to slow sales for the 2019s...

Just kidding, wanted to see how many current buyers like myself were freaking out right now! ?

Here it is March 2020. The 2020 Edge brochure shows the in different settings, but the engines are the same as 2019, as are the interiors, and body, grille, etc. They are basically the same as the 2019s. A cursory examination of a 2019 & 2020 Monronrey  showed all,prices the same, except tripping was $100 more for the 2020 model. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2019 at 4:57 AM, Fingernip said:

I would expect only small changes. For instance my 2011 sport didn’t get adjustable headrests but the next year they added them. Also side mirror turn signals. We might see corrections and small things each model year. 

i bought my 2019 in November.  Saw a 2020, couldn't follow the pricing from the 2 years.  The MSRP was about $300 more, but the 401a package was lower on the 2020.  Also, the dash does not have a center compartment on the 2020, no CD player, but the biggest difference for me was the center console.  My center console has 2 buttons, one button allows access to the coin holder, and the second button lifts the coin  holder out of the way.  The 2020 center console only has 1 button, you have to physically remove the coin holder to access the lower portion of the center console.

20_FRD_EDG_25_ST_interior.tif?croppathe=

11 hours ago, Iroc90 said:

i bought my 2019 in November.  Saw a 2020, couldn't follow the pricing from the 2 years.  The MSRP was about $300 more, but the 401a package was lower on the 2020.  Also, the dash does not have a center compartment on the 2020, no CD player, but the biggest difference for me was the center console.  My center console has 2 buttons, one button allows access to the coin holder, and the second button lifts the coin  holder out of the way.  The 2020 center console only has 1 button, you have to physically remove the coin holder to access the lower portion of the center console.

That sounds like 100% negatives... that sucks.  I see the remnant of the center dash cubby.. looks like it lost a tooth. 

Edited by Fingernip

15 hours ago, Iroc90 said:

20_FRD_EDG_25_ST_interior.tif?croppathe=

That sounds like 100% negatives... that sucks.  I see the remnant of the center dash cubby.. looks like it lost a tooth. 

Unfortunately it seems like Ford is continuing to cut corners $25 to $75 at a time.  Those small things like the instrument panel hidden drawer, under-hood insulation, dual compartment center console, etc. that folks have gotten accustomed to, get chopped by Ford.  And while they are minor issues, they are things I have gotten used to using and would miss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 1:52 PM, JoeVic said:

Unfortunately it seems like Ford is continuing to cut corners $25 to $75 at a time.  Those small things like the instrument panel hidden drawer, under-hood insulation, dual compartment center console, etc. that folks have gotten accustomed to, get chopped by Ford.  And while they are minor issues, they are things I have gotten used to using and would miss.

That's an understatement; especially with the 2020 Edge. I mean really to remove the storage door on top of the dash is one thing, but to not even at least redesign the surrounding trim to at lease make it not appear as if it was left off in production accidentally is just ridiculous - borderline embarrassing. I would have refused delivery if my vehicle came in that way -vs a 2019. It's like they are not evening trying especially with interior quality. The interior if the 2020 Explorer is almost embarrassing to own -vs it MSRP and that's after having a few of them for weeks - it's that bad assembly-size and material selection-wise. Wait until you see the 2021 Bronco(s) - another Fischer-price inspired interior. IMO Ford needs a leader that is a car person, not a cheep furniture hack. Say what you want about profit margins, but only someone who understands that a car is an expression of oneself, will be about to show Fords how to do this - then the profits margins will be there for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2020 list of changes:

1. Lid gone on top of dash(good in my book, you can set a phone or such there without in sliding off)

2. No CD player available(USB thumb drives are easier to work with and re-writable)

3. Center console storage, single open with lift out insert(thumbs down)

4. Missing under-hood sound deadening(thumbs down)

5. ?

6. ?

7. ?

Ford engineers should rent a FCA product with uconnect 8.4 in center stack and 7 inch EVIC display in front of driver, learn how to do a electronics package!

Edited by Snoking
  • Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Any changes expected for the 2020 Ford Edge ST ?