Upgraded Lug nuts ?

Xtra

I have a 2016 Sport with the optional OEM 21 inch wheels. These wheels came with  chrome lug nuts. The chrome covers on the nuts have come loose on a couple, and I am looking to replace them. 
 I would prefer to upgrade and replace all the lug nuts rather than just replacing the few bad ones  with more of the same OEM nuts

Does anyone have suggestions on high quality replacement lug nuts that are better quality than stock,  look as good or better than stock, And where to obtain them?

• 1004ron changed the title to Upgraded Lug nuts ?

My dealership has only rotated my tires twice, and I've done it since.

The dealership uses impact wrenches and this damages the aluminum shell of the nuts - when I showed them the damage to the nuts they promptly gave me a full set of the same.

Since I've been doing the rotation without impact wrench the nuts remain as new - when I got tires fitted, I made sure that they didn't us an impact.

Yes I know that doesn't answer your question, but just a thought if you consider replacing only the bad ones.

• Like 1

I have used McGard and Gorilla lug nuts in the past with no complaints. I plan on replacing my lug nuts with either or when the time comes.

The mcgard website is pretty easy to navigate, the link below will take you directly for our lug nuts:

2015-2021 McGard Ford Edge Lug Nuts

The gorilla lug nut site leaves a lot to be desired as its not a straight forward to navigate, It requires you to know the size.  Some of you know and some of us don't know that information off the of our heads. I circumvent that by calling and asking what I want.  Haven't used them in ages but I'm pretty sure the info you want is a click or a call away.

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts

HTH

• Like 3

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I have used McGard and Gorilla lug nuts in the past with no complaints. I plan on replacing my lug nuts with either or when the time comes.

The mcgard website is pretty easy to navigate, the link below will take you directly for our lug nuts:

2015-2021 McGard Ford Edge Lug Nuts

The gorilla lug nut site leaves a lot to be desired as its not a straight forward to navigate, It requires you to know the size.  Some of you know and some of us don't know that information off the of our heads. I circumvent that by calling and asking what I want.  Haven't used them in ages but I'm pretty sure the info you want is a click or a call away.

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts

HTH

I second this, They look amazing. Most of all they're high quality

The stock OEM Lugs are atrocious, unfortunately. Ford should be embarrassed. the chrome 'shell' over the actual lug nut swells up and strips too easily, makes it difficult to remove over time. Had to remove them my self with a Stripped lug nut removal socket. that's after only having my wheels rotated a hand full of times at a dealership. (granted, they probably weren't very careful)

I got mine off amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-84525-Chrome-Wheel-Installation/dp/B007QB5AHY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=McGard+84525+Chrome+Cone+Seat+Wheel+Installation+Kit&pd_rd_r=1d06c453-ed59-4330-b6f9-ce5dae7569d4&pd_rd_w=RprvV&pd_rd_wg=As6Uw&pf_rd_p=bec88bc8-d41e-4895-a8dc-a35e165b8995&pf_rd_r=Y99XPCS2S03XZM21ZDH2&pid=sA4pysL&qid=1614654528&sr=1-1&vehicle=2015-54-5858------------&vehicleName=2015+Ford+Edge

They also come in black (at a cost):

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-84527-Chrome-Black-Installation/dp/B007QB5AVA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=McGard+84525+Chrome+Cone+Seat+Wheel+Installation+Kit&pd_rd_r=1d06c453-ed59-4330-b6f9-ce5dae7569d4&pd_rd_w=RprvV&pd_rd_wg=As6Uw&pf_rd_p=bec88bc8-d41e-4895-a8dc-a35e165b8995&pf_rd_r=Y99XPCS2S03XZM21ZDH2&pid=sA4pysL&qid=1614654528&sr=1-2&vehicle=2015-54-5858------------&vehicleName=2015+Ford+Edge

Plus these sets come with wheel locks, which are $30 by them selves. so not a bad deal over all.

Edited by Mufasa Sucasa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah... I'd never heard the term "lug-nut" before and had to google it!

We just call them wheel nuts over here. Guess it's another of those differences we have when describing car parts, tools and stuff - like spanner/wrench, tyre/tire, bonnet/hood, boot/trunk, petrol/gas......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, niceonept said:

Ah... I'd never heard the term "lug-nut" before and had to google it!

We just call them wheel nuts over here. Guess it's another of those differences we have when describing car parts, tools and stuff - like spanner/wrench, tyre/tire, bonnet/hood, boot/trunk, petrol/gas......

Door cards..........

Toyota Suh-leek-a (Celica) - we call is Sell-ick-uh

BMW Zed4

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone for your help.

I decided to go with McGard from Amazon, because of the high quality, positive reviews, and forum members recommendations. The price seemed fair and included wheel locks. I have never used wheel locks before, but now I don't have to worry about finding my car sitting on milk crates without wheels or the BBK.

Edited by Xtra

3 hours ago, Xtra said:

finding my car sitting on milk crates without wheels

I been there before, I would have like to see the expression on my face. Got new wheels, tires, locking lug nuts, plus towing for $250.00 Deductible. Insurance paid Dealer $5134.00.

Tires had 26000 miles at time. Two Rims had curb rash.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, CARR142 said:

I been there before, I would have like to see the expression on my face. Got new wheels, tires, locking lug nuts, plus towing for $250.00 Deductible. Insurance paid Dealer $5134.00.

Tires had 26000 miles at time. Two Rims had curb rash.

It is never good when your car is vandalized, but it sounds like your insurance came through for you. New wheels with no rash and fresh rubber all around B), very nice.

• Thanks 1

The lug nuts came today so here are some unboxing photos. I ended up using  Mufasa Sucasa's link, it made it very easy to find them and purchase. Thanks again to everyone for your help and recommendations.

Ordered on Monday night, arrived Wednesday morning.

IMG_6637.JPG

What you see when you open the box

IMG_6638.JPG

Contents of the box bagged and tagged. 

IMG_6639.JPG

Includes locking nuts with Key and a pouch for the key to keep in the car. 

IMG_6640.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

New McGard lug nuts Installed and tires rotated.

McGard.JPG

This is one of the OEM lug nut, it rattled made noise and could not be tightened properly. There were several like this. They defiantly cannot handle power tools and require a torque wrench. Now I know that a torque wrench is the proper way no matter what, but finding a tire shop or even a dealership that will take the time to put lug nuts on by hand are far and few between. I noticed that the cone on the OEM nuts are longer than on the McGard  recommended ones. I hope that this is not a problem down the road in a few thousand miles. No matter,  they are way better than what was on there. 

OEM .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 9 months later...

Sure did. First contact was a lovely place in sunny California, called "boot camp" retreat. The "doctors"  wore smokey the bear hats and constantly checked out the health of our nuts. Whenever we got obstructed, they'd scare the piss out of us. Never failed. (Its the constipation corrections I never missed).

• Haha 3

On 1/7/2022 at 12:47 AM, enigma-2 said:

Sure did. First contact was a lovely place in sunny California, called "boot camp" retreat. The "doctors"  wore smokey the bear hats and constantly checked out the health of our nuts. Whenever we got obstructed, they'd scare the piss out of us. Never failed. (Its the constipation corrections I never missed).

Constipation can cause urinate retention, leading to damage to the bladder, causing hydronephrosis, and sepsis. 

I think I seen that commercial entice tourists to California, not one of their finest.

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

New owner of a 2019 Edge ST with the competition package,  Black 21 inch wheels.  Being the clean freak I am I went to clean my wheels last night.  The stupid lug cap was swollen up,  I could only remove on lug from each wheel.  Mad, I went to google searching and searching.  Came across a good replacement (hopefully).  Gorilla makes a one piece 14m x1.5 - 21mm nut, part number 61148c.  My local summit had 20 in stock for $3.99 each.  Hope this helps the next guy.  

BTW what are y"all doing for wheel weights?  Hate the stick on ones.  Old school lead?

Gorilla Lug Nuts 61148BCX