2016 Panoramic Moonroof won't close

Aldjmc

I have a 2016 Eddge ( 8500 km) and the moonroof won't close. It started to close as normal, and then it slowed down, and halted about 8 inches from closed. I could open it, all the way, but then when I hit the close button it would halt again. I tried the "initialization" process as described elsewhere in this forum, but it doesn't really make sense...at one point the shade was closed but the glass was still open. I tried the process a few more times, and now both the shade and the glass are all the way open, and won't move either way. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is my experience with the panoramic ā€˜moonā€™ roofā€¦ā€¦I have a 2011 Edge LTD AWD with 160k miles. Has been a good car with some problems with SYNC, power steering pump/return hoses and now the roof. Ever since owning the car the panoramic roof would work slow. I had the dealer check it out on several occasions and they cleaned the track and lubed the rails. Worked for a few months and then the same thing. Decided not to use the moon roof as I though it would be problems in the long runā€¦.Oh was I so right. I can count on both hands how many times I opened/closed the roof thru the years of owning the car. About 3 weeks ago I opened the roof and it struggled real hard to close; finally failed without closing with the drive cables hanging out of my headliner. I tried everything but could not close it. Had to take it to the dealer and was flooredā€¦..service repair tech gave me options:

1. Time to get a new carā€¦..nope that is not going to happen.
  2. Repair the roofā€¦..approx $4k because it canā€™t be fixed.

Told him what about option ā€œCā€ā€¦..just close the roof and I wonā€™t use it and he responded with, the roof is damaged and cannot be closed.

Ā 

So I decided to have the roof replaced and then the tech told me it would be wise to install both motors as it will take 5 hrs labor to replace them latter plus mine may be on the way out. Quoted me a price of $400 for one motor and $300 for the other. Told him Iā€™ll get the motors because that is excessively high. Picked up both motors for $315. Now all said and done the roof works like a champ.

Ā 

Bottom line, would I ever purchase another Ford with a panoramic roof? Hummmā€¦ā€¦..I think you know the answer. So my question to everyone, has anyone else experience similar problems with their panoramic roof? I read some buzz (not sure if is true) about recalls but like I said nothing confirmed.

Ā 

FYIā€¦.this new install is guaranteed for 2 yrs.

• 4 weeks later...

Driving my 2016 Sport today enjoying the great spring weather with my Pano open. Then the phone rings and I close my roof or should I say attempt to. It gets about 8 inches from closing and automatically starts to open. I ignore the call and pull over, attempt this again no luck. WTF, I had to hold the button and push it closed, not a happy owner right now. My Sport has less than 8K on it and should not have these types of issues. Of course calling the dealer, any experience on how I can get this fixed the first time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is my experience with the panoramic ā€˜moonā€™ roofā€¦ā€¦I have a 2011 Edge LTD AWD with 160k miles. Has been a good car with some problems with SYNC, power steering pump/return hoses and now the roof. Ever since owning the car the panoramic roof would work slow. I had the dealer check it out on several occasions and they cleaned the track and lubed the rails. Worked for a few months and then the same thing. Decided not to use the moon roof as I though it would be problems in the long runā€¦.Oh was I so right. I can count on both hands how many times I opened/closed the roof thru the years of owning the car. About 3 weeks ago I opened the roof and it struggled real hard to close; finally failed without closing with the drive cables hanging out of my headliner. I tried everything but could not close it. Had to take it to the dealer and was flooredā€¦..service repair tech gave me options:

1. Time to get a new carā€¦..nope that is not going to happen.
  2. Repair the roofā€¦..approx $4k because it canā€™t be fixed.

Told him what about option ā€œCā€ā€¦..just close the roof and I wonā€™t use it and he responded with, the roof is damaged and cannot be closed.

Ā 

So I decided to have the roof replaced and then the tech told me it would be wise to install both motors as it will take 5 hrs labor to replace them latter plus mine may be on the way out. Quoted me a price of $400 for one motor and $300 for the other. Told him Iā€™ll get the motors because that is excessively high. Picked up both motors for $315. Now all said and done the roof works like a champ.

Ā 

Bottom line, would I ever purchase another Ford with a panoramic roof? Hummmā€¦ā€¦..I think you know the answer. So my question to everyone, has anyone else experience similar problems with their panoramic roof? I read some buzz (not sure if is true) about recalls but like I said nothing confirmed.

Ā 

FYIā€¦.this new install is guaranteed for 2 yrs.

Ā 

I'm going through the same thing with my 2011 right now. The only difference is that I bought it 10 days ago.. i was quoted $4,000 to repair it and was told the same thing, you can't just close the roof and not replace the entire assembly.

Ā 

To say that this whole thing has been ridiculous would be an understatement. The limited warranty refused to cover the part, and the dealership has been no help. So if I want the roof to close, even if I never open it again, it's going to cost me $4k.. Unbelievable.

Ā 

I'm going through the same thing with my 2011 right now. The only difference is that I bought it 10 days ago.. i was quoted $4,000 to repair it and was told the same thing, you can't just close the roof and not replace the entire assembly.

Ā 

To say that this whole thing has been ridiculous would be an understatement. The limited warranty refused to cover the part, and the dealership has been no help. So if I want the roof to close, even if I never open it again, it's going to cost me $4k.. Unbelievable.

Ā 

So you didn't read the fine print on the warranty about what wasn't covered and you didn't do a thorough pre-purchase evaluation?

My roof is closing but it is slowing down while closing and I can hear the motors trying hard. Less than 6.000 miles on a new 2016 car. It opens perfectly smooth and quiet. This is a big deal if this is happening as much as this thread implies. The dealer wants the car for a few days to sort out the problem. I thought it was just a simple lubrication problem. I will bring that car to the dealer every time it does not work as advertised. I will establish precedence for my future protection.