What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

dealing with extreme heat you want the fans to come on earlier and run longer, whether you get the lower temp tstat or not.  to change fan operation, you need a tune capable of doing so.

Actually, all you have to do is turn on your AC. This will command the fan to come on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

nobody wants to lose that 0.1 mpg turning on a/c will cause lol.

Well as far as that goes, with air temps over 100, I presume the AC is running anyway, and if not, as long as you are driving along at more than 20 mph, the air flow through the radiator is generally sufficient to keep the engine cooler than the stock fan set point. 

Side note, I took  a hard ride after the wheel bearing job to verify the repair, and was running my data logger. 

Arrowheads indicate max and min values

Screenshot_20230730_175246.jpg

Edited by Cerberus
Correction
  • Like 2

Passenger seat power backrest went backwards but not forward. (Ever notice how much your wife whine about riding in a near prone position? Think it ess the end of all life on earth).

Isolated to switch. Jiggle, wriggle and rock. Sometime worked, most times not.

Changed switch today. Should just say it was a breeze, but in truth you'd think I could have dropped the sub-frame easier.

Not that it's hard, just 2-10T and remove the curved trim. And it's one piece, curved around both the front and back of the seat. Can't pull it forward because it's wrapped around the back, can't release the center because it has to be pushed forward to release.

Service manual had a paragraph on how to remove this (*&^%%$@!) trim piece. Pull back but not too hard, twist, list, get up and run around car twice ..... 

And then there was the connector from hell. Just push in on the tab and pull connector out. Became a test of manhood. It won rounds 1-6. I kicked its assets on the 7th. Blood everywhere but hey, the more you bleed in peace, the less ... . 

Works great now. All quiet on the westssenger front. 

Peace, love, oem

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I replaced the liftgate motor with a junkyard replacement. 

Liftgate started jerking a bit when raising and lowering a few months back. About a month ago, we got the horrible grinding noise and the liftgate wouldn't move. On the 2008, the liftgate motor and lifting arm are two separate things. Replaced the lifting arm (4 10mm nuts, plastic cover at the top, and a plastic holder/clip at the bottom. No dice, problem still exists. Has to be the motor itself.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a liftgate motor? Apparently, Ford changed the design to have the motor and arm as one piece around 2015 or so. You can find those all day long. Pre-2015, however, that motor has been discontinued by Ford. Hell, my local salvage yard that specializes in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury doesn't even have one. After two months of searching, I found one on E-Bay. Swapped it out yesterday, and the liftgate works like new again. Removed the arm (as above), then removed the motor (3 10mm bolts and washers, three electrical connectors, as well as the trim piece on the left side that just pulls off). 

Opened up the old motor, which has a large white plastic gear that the lift arm slots into, and a metal worm gear that slots into the drive motor and turns the large white gear. Opened up the motor one more level down, and discovered that the worm gear slots into a plastic hat bushing that is driven by a rubber bushing. Judging by the wear marks and rubber remnants on the hat bushing, it looks like the rubber bushing wore down enough to not make good enough contact to turn the gear train to lift the heavy liftgate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made an appointment with my dealer to have my rear camera R/R.

Extended Warranty, (should), cover items that are needed for R/R.

Will let you all how this goes.

9/11/23

The dealer picked up and found the camera defective, and, the center bearing on the driveshaft dry rotated, l/r outer tie rods needed to be replaced also. All are covered by ESP. The only cost to me so far is the alignment. The camera and driveshaft are on back order, “maybe here by the end of the month”. Have a 21 Corsair as a courtesy loaner.

https://app.mykaarma.com/service-cart/mpi/X133CyZJSwWKDOVC44Hy0Jwfa59w6sYPm2Tab1ZZqJo/detail?videoOnly=true

• Like 1

9/11/23

The dealer picked up and found the camera defective, and, the center bearing on the driveshaft dry rotated, l/r outer tie rods needed to be replaced also. All are covered by ESP. The only cost to me so far is the alignment. The camera and driveshaft are on back order, “maybe here by the end of the month”. Have a 21 Corsair as a courtesy loaner.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9/11/23

https://app.mykaarma.com/service-cart/mpi/X133CyZJSwWKDOVC44Hy0Jwfa59w6sYPm2Tab1ZZqJo/detail?videoOnly=true

Parts are due in tomorrow, 30+ days driving the 22 Corsair courtesy loaner, and enjoying that. I feel like I own it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

New to the group so I guess I need to back track all that I've done to my 11 year young Edge. Its a Limited AWD so first thing first, got rid of those ugly chrome clad wheel covers to find highly potential aluminum wheels. Painted them many different colors, Gold, Bronze Red, Red and black(I called them the Black Widow wheels) now at a beautiful powder coat pearl black. Got rid of the stock air box, upgraded to a 57 series K&N and choped the Muffler off and ran a twin pipe out. Now it sounds like a true V6 SUV. Replaced the vented rotors with summit racing drilled and slotted rotors front and rear. Not a lot to the powertrain, mostly interior exterior components. Swapped dull clear map lights with red lights in front blue in rear. 6" Rigid light bars on both sides of the upper hood. Cut out the solid portions of the multi sectioned grill, saw a significant drop in air intake temps at the head, highly recommend. Installed different length single row light bars within the grill as well as 8" single row yellow and white light bars in the rear(to the left and right of the rear washer nozzle, helps tremendously when backing up at night.) Body color is Ruby Red, did powerder coated black race stripes from the hood back. And because I'm a music guy kept the 12 speakers in great shape and added 2 10" Kicker Subs with a small 500 watt kenwood amp. I've added a lot of things to my girl and removed some as well. 

• Like 2

Roughly time for an oil change, so I decided to do that & drain & refill the PTU. The PTU had about 8,000 miles on it since I drained the OEM fluid & replaced it with Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140. It had very little gunk on it compared to last time. 

Attach149743_20231124_144822.jpg

Attach149742_20231124_144822.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 4

Also decided to do a transmission Drain & fill x3, touch up my undercoating with Fluid Film & swap over to my winter rubber on our 2020 SEL AWD. Spring me screwed fall me & didn't clean the winter wheels when the weather was nicer & warmer. So that took some extra time & nice hot bucket of water. Besides touching up the door hinges & the bottom of the doors & hatch, I should be ready for winter. 

The 1st drain & fill got about 4.2 qts out & the other 2 got 3.5 qts out. Motorcraft Ulv fluid was $3/qt cheaper than Valvoline equivalent. Fluid was quite dark & a tiny hint of red in it. On the 3rd drain, there was more red in it. Currently ~26,000, but I did a lot of hauling with a small utility trailer & ztr this year & wanted to be extra cautious. A friend of mine who owns a transmission shop said that I should be fine till next year, but was shocked at how dark the fluid was. It was getting late & I was tired & forgot to snap a Pic of the 3rd drain, but it was more red than the first 2.

Attach149865_20231125_183706.jpg

Attach149776_20231124_220901.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...