How would you characterize the paint quality on your second gen. Edge?

Chipster

I have not seen any comments regarding the quality (or lack there of) on the painted panels of the second gen. Edge, so I thought I would ask. Any issues, or are you satisfied with the paint on your new Edge?

Note: Thread edited to accommodate all second gen vehicles.

Edited by Chipster

I'm happy with the paint so far. I have not seen any blemishes or any bad orange peeling.

Do you see swirl marks in the paint?

Swirl marks aren't from the factory, it is from someone washing/drying incorrectly or polishing/waxing incorrectly.

Of course metallic colors will show swirls less than a flat color.

Orange peel is primarily what I was interested in hearing about. Several weeks ago I was up walking the local dealers lot and there were two Edges parked next to one another. There was a pretty serious difference in the paint quality in one of those. One had what I would consider typical when judged by industry standards, while the other had pretty serious orange peel on several vertical body panels. Both vehicles were "Ruby Red".

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine seemed to scratch pretty easily and I had a hard time attempting to remove the scratches. A plastic lanyard for a brush at the manual car wash hit the fenders and bumper of mine and left pretty noticeable scratches. You can't feel them with your finger so I figured they weren't that deep. But I tried two different scratch removers without success. There must have been some dirt on the lanyard itself and it didn't brush up against the Edge too hard, so it didn't take much to scratch it.

Other than that I've noticed no issues with the paint.

• 9 months later...

We recently bought a '15 Titanium in black.... it is "new", never been registered, so it hasn't been subjected to the daily grind of life, and the subsequent pollution fall-out, in So Cal.

Because it had been sitting for quite a while, the day after delivery, the dealer had me bring it back and they did a complete clay bar, polish and wax. I thought it looked good before, but that REALLY brought out the metallic in the paint. I'm a real stickler for maintaining the finish on a car, so it looks like with regular care... no spinning wheel car washes... the paint should stay looking good for a long time.

To be honest, I think it's the best, factory paint job, I've ever seen.

my 15 sport (july build) has amazing paint...but also has 2 paint runs from the factory. I advised against getting them fixed because I don't want local ford trying to match factory ford colors. plus nobody will see them unless I point them out. one of them is on the side of the driver passenger door on the door trim for the sport. The other....I forgot where it was.

15 sport:

From factory: 1 paint run on the front driver side fender. 1 paint chip under driver side taillight. Dirt in the paint in 2 separate locations.

11 months in: Paint chip on hood, paint chips all over the front bumper, scratches on the door panels (not from me) Paint on inner door panels is beginning to wear away (high intrusion of dirt from the weatherstripping on the underside of the car) rust is visible (I apply fluid film to any visible spots). Rust specs visible on exterior paint, can be removed when the car is clayed and sealed. I feel as though the paint isn't very thick on my edge, simply because there is a heck of a lot of rock chip/bug damage everywhere and the paint has worn down near the weatherstripping on some doors.

The paint looks fantastic from a slight distance, but if you get up real close, you start to notice things.

I changed the topic of this thread to accommodate all second gen. Edge vehicles.

My 2016 has more "Orange Peel" than I believe would be considered typical of other Ford's, or other manufacturers. Most of the problem areas are on vertical surfaces, and seem to be worst on both rear flanks of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Paint quality is great on my '16 tri-platinum white. The only thing I've noticed is how dirty insides of bottom of doors were after a month. I'm shuddered to think once salt is in the mix at what's down the road as far as rust in these spots. It's right where the door panel is folded over too.

I cleaned them up with soapy water and sprayed them with fluid film. Should do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 2016 Edge, 8000 miles, with a Bronze Fire paint job. I drive up to a 7/11 and a guy with same year and paint job pulls up. He runs up to me and tells me the front of the hood keeps pitting and its driving him crazy. Sure enough I look at mine and there's a bunch of pitting on mine too, I guess from highway pebbles and such. Never had a problem like this before. Anyone else have this issue and a fix? Maybe a bug deflector?

Edited by jwm22222

I've got a 2016 Edge, 8000 miles, with a Bronze Fire paint job. I drive up to a 7/11 and a guy with same year and paint job pulls up. He runs up to me and tells me the front of the hood keeps pitting and its driving him crazy. Sure enough I look at mine and there's a bunch of pitting on mine too, I guess from highway pebbles and such. Never had a problem like this before. Anyone else have this issue and a fix? Maybe a bug deflector?

​I've tried to head-off that problem..... when I purchased out 2016 Edge, I opted for the 3M Bra on the front end, and up the hood for a couple feet.... and they also

coated the mirrors and door edges, We only have about 5,000 miles, and haven't been through a Winter, yet. But I believe this will help prevent rock chips. I just wish it would also prevent bug splatters. Oh, and I believe that bra set us back around $900..... so not cheap.

• 1 year later...

jwm - I have the same vehicle, 2016, Bronze, Titanium. The front of the hood looks like it has terminal freckles, must be every bit of sand took out a bit of paint on the leading edge of the hood. But then there are spots that look like rock chips out in the flat of the hood, a foot or two back from the front - how could that be rock chips??? Took it to the dealer, and got kissed off, lectured on needing to understand that in this country, rock chips over the winter are to be expected. Very irritating as I have lived here 70 years. Been driving nearly 60 and have never seen paint chip away like this. Every BB took it down to primer - paint is either very thin or very brittle or both. Only solution I will entertain is to have an expert body man, not Ford dealer, repaint and then consider a bug deflector. But I am very, very unhappy and will be considering a VW very soon.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed my 2018 lease (company) SEL in Ingot silver has massive paint ridge that goes from ones side right the way to the other side.It came like this from the factory.... Not good. Initially it's hard to see as it is ~3" under the red reflective thing that goes from one side to the other, but once you have seen it there's no way to un-see it. My eagle eyed teenager first pointed it out to me....

Edited by timfountain

Paint quality is great but the color from the front and rear bumper panels is a tad different from the rest of the car.

Ford dealer said that was because it was painted on plastic vs. metal.

Any truth to this or are these parts painted at a different time then the body of the vehicle then attached ?

Paint quality is great but the color from the front and rear bumper panels is a tad different from the rest of the car.

Ford dealer said that was because it was painted on plastic vs. metal.

Any truth to this or are these parts painted at a different time then the body of the vehicle then attached ?

Both. It's plastic and it's usually painted offsite. If it's really noticeable they'll respray them under warranty.