Ford Edge engine noise getting worse

2011 bordeaux edge

My 2011 edge with 5300 miles on it has metal tapping noise on start up, I took it to the dealer a month ago and they said that they could not hear it. Over the next few weeks the noise increased in volume and the duration of time before it subsided, so i took it back to the dealer and left it there so I could return when the engine would be cold and have the tech be there with me and listen for the noise together. This time he heard it and then he stated that it did not sound normal for a new engine but he thought Ford would decline to do anything about it. When I picked it up the next day (it was also there for a defective interior trim issue) the service writer produced a "497000-engine noise concern" bulletin. This stated that some 2011 edges may have a tick or metal tapping noise upon start up and warm up but it would not damage engine or cause long term durability concerns and engineering is investigating this concern and recommends no repairs be attempted.

It seems to me that if Ford is investigating it, then they don't know what it is, and therefore how could they know how this might affect the engine over time.

This is my first new Ford and overall I like the car, but multiple visits to the dealer (two for interior defects and engine noise), and increasing metal tapping noise coming from the engine. All in the first three months concerns me.

Any constructive input is always appreciated.

Have a 2010 w/ some pretty good tapping when you start it, especially when it's cool.

I've been told that these engines are inherantly noisy due to the tivct design. It's got about 17k miles on it now, and the sound is the same as it always have been.

I think others have mentioned the engine being noisy as well, unless you're hearing something more than all the rest of us.

Have a 2010 w/ some pretty good tapping when you start it, especially when it's cool.

I've been told that these engines are inherantly noisy due to the tivct design. It's got about 17k miles on it now, and the sound is the same as it always have been.

I think others have mentioned the engine being noisy as well, unless you're hearing something more than all the rest of us.

IIRC, Ti-VCT was added on the '11 engines:

http://www.at.ford.com/news/Publications/Publications/Ti_VCT_Engine_Technology_FS.pdf

• 5 months later...

I have an 2010 with 13,000KM and it doesn't sound like what you are getting at start up during the winter or summer.

My 2007 has been slightly "clacky" since new.

When very cold, I do hear what I think is cam bearing knock, that quickly goes away.

Overhead cam engines seem to be noisier than I like, regardless of make or model.

I am suprised that Ford does not use composite valve covers, like other manufacturers. They work very well to absorb the noise.

Corvettes were getting complaints back in 1991 and 1992, so they changed to a composite cover in 1993 to quell the complaints. It cut the noise in 1/2 or better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge with 6100 miles on it. We had our coldest morning today and a strange click/knocking sound came from the vehicle as I drove off. It seemed to start on the right side of the vehicle an move toward the front. As the car warmed it is started to go away. I could still hear it somewhat as I got to work. Taking it to the dealer Monday. Only hope it still there so I won't look like an idiot.

Edited by damailman

Noticed ours is ticking but how do you confirm your build date? I can't say I necessarily trust my dealer to tell me if it applies to ours so I would like to know before I go so I can push the issue if needed.

Hi wlepse. :D Month/Year is listed on the Manufacturers Plate, located on the drivers side door sill/jamb.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi wlepse. :D Month/Year is listed on the Manufacturers Plate, located on the drivers side door sill/jamb.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks. Glad that it is that clear and not something you need to have access to their system to see. The first time I noticed the sound it wasn't particularly loud and they said all Fords do it. While I wasn't happy with that answer I did a quick search and a lot of people were saying the same thig so since they are new to me I didn't know. But recently as it has gotten colder I am hearing it more and really want to push the issue to get it checked out. Just not real happy with their fix but it is better than the alternative.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2009 SEL 3.5 with the ticking noise, and now notice some smoke at start up. The PDF tsb11-11-15 say on of before 5-1-2011. My Edge fits in the category

26000 miles and its oil changed every 4-5000 miles at Ford. The dipstick in just below the low line. I think its burning oil.

In 2002 I bought a SVT focus and has so many problems with that car I said I'd never buy another ford. 7 years later I did and beginning to regret it.

This is the second issue with the car, couple month ago it was HARD shifting in very light traffic, just rolling and lightly gas it BAMB shift gear.

Very discouraging. I should not know my service writer and owner on the ford dealership.

I have a 2005 Honda S2000 now with 103,000 miles over 7 years nothing major, one airbag sensor 30,000 miles, and one battery replace at 4 year mark.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone heard about sludge problems in the 3.5 that can lead to plugged oil galleys which leads to engine replacement? My friend took his to Ford for engine noise and they started with wanting to change the lifters and then something else, then came back and said it needs replacing due to sludge! My friend claims he always changed oil (and uses synthetic) on time and it has under 100,000 miles on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am having the same issue with mine. I live in Brazil and mine was manufactured in Canada (Edge limited 3.5L). Dealer is saying that the noise is normal but you cannot trust them at least here. Apparently, mine was manufactured in 2012 (need to check that info). Some Fusions had similar issues and the solution was to replace the Poly-V belt. I would appreciate if any one can shadow some light on my issue

Many thanks

Eduardo

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. My fix is drain all the oil into a clean container. Put the drain plug back in. Start it up. Floor it to the rev limiter and leave it there till it blows. Pour the oil back into the motor and tow it to the dealer. AND TELL THEM TO FIX IT !! Done playing games with the dealer. They will fix it one way or the other.

Same problem here. My fix is drain all the oil into a clean container. Put the drain plug back in. Start it up. Floor it to the rev limiter and leave it there till it blows. Pour the oil back into the motor and tow it to the dealer. AND TELL THEM TO FIX IT !! Done playing games with the dealer. They will fix it one way or the other.

has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

• 9 months later...

Thinking that I was possibly purchasing my last vehicle, I decided to buy from a company that has the most vehicle manufacturing experience, How can you go wrong?. This 2011 Edge should last me for at least 10 years. Early on and after a few other minor problems the knocking noise started, 2k miles before the warranty expiration go figure, and has continued to this day. Have you guys seen the bed mattress commercial about making an 8 year mistake. Exactly my case. Having had a bad experience with the dealer and the knocking noise I decided to write a letter to the President of Ford Motor Company to express my frustration. Good luck with that. What I do now is start the engine every morning, wait 2 minutes and then drive away to the office. This helps reduce the knocking noise.

To bad car manufacturers don't have a money back guarantee, if they did they'd make better cars.

• 3 months later...