2013 Edge Sport JUNK!

mjbernard1

I have a 2013 ford edge sport with 30,500 miles. First problem, leak PTU, needed fully replaced at 18k miles. Second problem, every time shifted into park and shut off vehicle, warning light came on, beeped/blinked. Had to repeatedly restart my car, shift into gear, then back into park and shut off vehicle. Had to repeat this 3-4 times I go to park. Result, Ford replaced my entire shifter. Third problem and LAST, just last week PTU went out again, leaking like crazy and fully replaced. Just got my car back today. Car only has 30,500 miles. Going to trade off and never buy a ford again.

Funny thing, was I originally bought a ford because I thought they were American made, tough, reliable cars. Definitely proved me wrong. I loved this car, put money into additional accessories and blacked it out. Unfortunately, I'm going to get rid of it now and buy a Toyota or a Honda. Just stinks that most cars nowadays are just junk all together.

I would not recommend buying this vehicle.

• Like 1

I had a 2010 Corvette Z06 that spent more time in the shop and on lifts then it did with me.

I swore never again , sold it, and bought a 2013 Ford Edge Sport.

Has been an amazing trouble free vehicle....

Sounds like you got a bad vehicle......get rid of it !

Get a Lexus ! Amazing vehicles !

• Like 1

mjbernard1

I feel your anguish with your Edge. Been there before. If I was in your position I would buy a Ford ESP plan incase more problems would arise. The last thing I would do is buy a Japanese car/truck. These vehicles have their share of problems too. Most important ( My opinion ) Remember Pearl Harbor.

Larry

Northern, In.

2013 Edge sel

Wow, you had two problems. in 30,000 miles. The industry average is just over one, so I guess you're right, it's junk.

Chances are the second PTU failure was caused by poor installation of the first repair.

Statistically speaking, you're just as likely to have two problems on any Toyota or Honda that you buy as you are to have none.

mjbernard1

I feel your anguish with your Edge. Been there before. If I was in your position I would buy a Ford ESP plan incase more problems would arise. The last thing I would do is buy a Japanese car/truck. These vehicles have their share of problems too. Most important ( My opinion ) Remember Pearl Harbor.

Larry

Northern, In.

2013 Edge sel

Damn right. Buy American or from American owned companies.

And to the OP, every single manufacturer has lemons, good luck with your new Honda or Toyota..

• 5 weeks later...

Holding my breath currently with my 2013 SEL FWD with the issues that seem to be mounting on a weekly basis.

I'm not being pessimistic, I really enjoy this vehicle immensely, but I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings when I'm in at the dealership to discuss the current warning lights that are being presented to me.

I'll check back in on this Forum with the details IF things don't go the way I hope.

• 1 month later...

I have owned chevy, ford, chrysler, dodge, honda, suzuki, mercury. Guess what? I had to have them all repaired for just about everything. Although I will admit I had the most problems with the Chrysler, Dodge products and then the Suzuki came in a close 2nd/3rd place. I can also understand the "I've got a lemon" issue I just got ride of what I call the worst POS I have ever owned recently and it was a Chevrolet Trailblazer. Now there is a truck that should not even have been sold to the public in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. The truth is that that Honda, Hyundai and Toyota were the top three in lowest repair rate for the end of the 2014 year.GM came in at fourth and Ford came in at fifth. Rankings by auto repair site CarMD. Dated Dec 3. 2014, from an article in Money watch.

Jap products still leading the way along with the Koreans.

• 3 months later...

Great Forum and topics, wish I found it prior to purchasing my 2013 Edge.

What a lemon,

4 dealer repairs since I purchased it, and it only has 35000km

Too bad my warranty ran out because YET ANOTHER ISSUE has arose

You say buy American, or in my case Canadian, and I make the switch only to be burned time and time again.

When it comes to this "north American" company standing behind the vehicle they make, they run and hide and leave you to your own devices.

I've dealt with varying levels of their "service" team on an issue which is clearly their fault but to no avail.

NEVER AGAIN.

Any and Every car manufacturer has a lemon released. My last car has people with huge lists of complaints, everyone told me not to buy a first year model but guess what my Cobalt SS/SC from 2005 has had one major repair in 11 years of ownership. A electric steering motor. That's it. In that same time frame my Mom's 2008 Toyota Corolla has had a transmission replaced, 2 speed sensors die, brake cyl seize and rad crack. It is a garage parked vehicle. And even worse is my friends VW Jetta GLI(fully loaded top model) that spent 15months of his 2 year lease(company car) in the shop with a laundry list of electrical issues. He put the miles on rentals and loaners.

• 4 months later...

Sorry about your luck with the Sport. The shifter thing is fairly common. Mine did that on occasion as well....you shift into park and shut off the car then get a warning that you need to put it in park. The sensor just doesn't pick it up even though it really is in park and you can start it up fine. If this ever happens 9 times out of 10 you can squeeze in the button on the shifter and it will fix the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 2010 Corvette Z06 that spent more time in the shop and on lifts then it did with me.

I swore never again , sold it, and bought a 2013 Ford Edge Sport.

Has been an amazing trouble free vehicle....

Sounds like you got a bad vehicle......get rid of it !

Get a Lexus ! Amazing vehicles !

I've a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible - beautiful car, but have had quite a few problems with it too. Getting a new transmission under GMPP and going up for sale

I totally agree about just getting a bad Sport. I leased my first 2013 Sport and it was trouble free and liked it so much that I found and bought a used one just like it when I turned it in. 36k on first one, 32k on this one. Only problem ever had on both is clear coat on wheels was getting was getting some crazing underneath it. Ford replaced all 4 wheels on both - no questions asked

with all annoyances mine brought me (stuck roof, electrical malfunction of A/C button), I have to say IT IS a tough and reliable car (2013 sport). I live in the Middle East, when most of the year night temperature is usually above 90F, so imagine what do these cars have to deal with mid day... (110F today at noon, and it's still May!). Anyways, Ford was kind enough to extend warranty for the drive train and engine till 125k miles (200 kkm).

Let's see if I make it problem free...

• Like 1

Well, over 1 year now for my SEL 2013 and it's been ok. Rather, there's been issue for certain. As follows:

1) Entire shift console replaced as per other user above with dash warning lights.

2) Both driver and passenger door latches replaced.

3) Brake booster replaced.

4) Filler neck replaced for petrol.

At 103,000 kms, bought at 48,000.

Is it ok? I guess but tried my patience over time. The dealership has been decent to work with.

It's quite an amazing vehicle with the v6 3.5L and highway mileage. ~35 MPG Imperial (8 L /100kms).

Would I purchase another? Probably IF I get it for the same price I paid for mine. At current going rates of a new Edge CDN? NOPE!

But that is just my preference and I'd prefer a "real" TRUCK for that price of a new Edge.

If you get a real lemon and can't put up with it being in and out EVEN under warranty, then you've got a choice.

You can bury 'er... burn 'er... or dump 'er.