AWD or FWD?

Know of any comparisons between AWD with snow tires and FWD with snow tires, akirby? Having a heck of a time finding that comparo. It's all AWD with allseasons vs FWD with snow tires out there.

Ā 

FWD with Snow Tires would be fine in an area like mine. We average around 22 inches of snowfall a year. For five years I daily drove a Mustang GT without incident (though scary at times which pushed me to the Edge). AWD will come in handy if I'm driving on some really icy/slick roads. I grew up in Michigan so FWD in snow is what I knew for many years.

Ā 

Everything I read is that it all depends on the tire. FWD with good tires and you'll be fine.

Ā 

I have AWD on my Sport but only because the one I wanted had AWD. I was more interested in certain colors and options than FWD vs. AWD.

• Like 1

I was wondering this myself. My current Edge has FWD, but I'm considering getting AWD next time. Not really sure if AWD is warranted though in my case. No snow in my area of Texas. We do tend to have icy roads in the Winter. And we have plenty of pasture parties, picnics & off road driving...oh the country life, lol. Most people around my area have 4 wheel drive, not AWD, so it can be turned off when not needed. I guess the main thing I worry about with an AWD is it wearing out quicker & when/if it does, will cost a lot more to fix. At least that's what I'm told. So what's the verdict? :)

AWD helps you get going on ice, but it sure won't help you turn or stop.

AWD helps you get going on ice, but it sure won't help you turn or stop.

I've driven 4wd & AWD vehicles for 35 years and NEVER had an incident. 2wd vehicles for 45+ years. Driven UPS package cars on snow & ice covered roads 4wd pickups couldn't negotiate. Driven semi-trucks on roads so slick you couldn't stand up on them. Please keep your unsolicited driving advice to your self. I've backed up more miles than you've driven!

• Like 1

I've driven 4wd & AWD vehicles for 35 years and NEVER had an incident. 2wd vehicles for 45+ years. Driven UPS package cars on snow & ice covered roads 4wd pickups couldn't negotiate. Driven semi-trucks on roads so slick you couldn't stand up on them. Please keep your unsolicited driving advice to your self. I've backed up more miles than you've driven!

Ā 

I wasn't telling you how to drive - I was stating a simple fact that you already know but others don't. How many 4WD and AWD vehicles do you see off the road in heavy snow/ice? People think AWD/4WD allows them to drive normally in any condition and it doesn't. It keeps you from being stuck and gets you going but it doesn't help you stop any faster or negotiate turns.

• Like 1

Does anyone have first-hand experience with an Edge AWD vs FWD in deep snow? We get 80+ inches of snow annually and I live in an area with hills.

If you do a search, you'll see some posts about people driving their earlier model Edges ('14 and below) in snow with their impressions. Some say their FWD drives in any conditions.

Ā 

If I were you, I'd base my choice off of personal experience. If you have driven an AWD in the past with no issues, stick to it. If you have driven a FWD SUV with no issues, then stick with it.

Ā 

80+ Inches and hills.....I'd spring for the AWD everyday. Cheap insurance.