Jump to content
Ford Edge Forum
bobyellow

New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

Recommended Posts

they should certainly have been paying more attention to the basics.  Might be a TSB or even a CSP/recall in the offing if both leaks appear on other STs as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange considering the engine isn’t new.  Hopefully they fix it and you won’t have other problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Agreed. I did order the mud flaps that you/other's used with your Edge Sport's. I will find out for certain once I receive and install them … I expect them to have the same fitment as you experienced. It is a must have item … this is the single most important accessory that I installed on my Mustangs, especially the Shelby where it has "sticky" Michelin Pilot Super Sports that absolutely pick up *every single stone* on a given road and try to throw them at high speed at the rockers.

I recently used the Ford website to build out an St. At the end of the build menu there are several accessories that can be added. Among them are mud flaps for the front fenders so I'm at a lose as to why you need to find third party flaps. Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, alblundo said:

I recently used the Ford website to build out an St. At the end of the build menu there are several accessories that can be added. Among them are mud flaps for the front fenders so I'm at a lose as to why you need to find third party flaps. Am I missing something?

You are correct in that the Ford Build & Price website, as well as the Ford Accessories website, all indicate they will fit (or to be more precise, they don't state that they won't fit the Edge ST). However, I have read multiple reviews including on Amazon where the body cladding lines on the 16-18 Edge Sport is different from the Edge non-Sport models, and the Ford OEM front mud flaps do not fit. Seeing as how the Edge ST body cladding rocker lines seem unchanged from the 18 Edge Sport, I concluded that they would not fit the Edge ST. I don't know whether that is accurate, but it seemed a logical conclusion to draw.

More to the point, this forum provided my main research and clearly identified the fact that the Ford OEM front mud flaps do not fit the Edge Sport, and in fact the mud flaps from a specific eBay seller did fit the Edge Sport (without trimming the mud flaps). Once again I drew the logical conclusion to go with what members on this Edge Forum have identified and detailed, and will be applying these alternate mud flaps to my Edge ST. I prefer Ford OEM accessories, but from my research I am convinced they will not fit the Edge ST. We shall see if these alternate mud flaps fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27 octobre 2018 at 8:23 PM, blitz118 said:
Dislikes: The piped in exhaust sound does not sound good, but B/O stereo easily drowns it out. The B/O is a big step up from the Sony stereo in my 2015.
 
"Piped in "exhaust"… :headscratch: Please educate me on this...:shrug:
 
Claude.

P.S: I just saw a blue '19 ST today at my local ford dealer and I really liked it… but I don't have any plans to trade my '16 Titanium for one…at least not for now.

Also, is it true that all Edges come with 4 cyl. engines except for the ST?

 

Edited by 2FAST4U

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

 

The piped in exhaust comes through the speakers and not from the exhaust. The 2015-2019 Edges all come with 4 cylinder expect for the Sports and STs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They discontinued the 3.5l v6 for 2019 so yes for the 2019 model year any model but a st comes with only th 4 cylinder 2l turbo now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, blitz118 said:

The piped in exhaust comes through the speakers and not from the exhaust. The 2015-2019 Edges all come with 4 cylinder expect for the Sports and STs.

Are you saying that the engine's sound comes inside the cabin through the speakers?? :headscratch:…If yes, then WHY??? :shrug:What's the use for this?? 

and

25 minutes ago, Perblue said:

They discontinued the 3.5l v6 for 2019 so yes for the 2019 model year any model but a st comes with only th 4 cylinder 2l turbo now. 

So no more V6's at all?... No option either? (except for the ST)?...:(

Claude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

Are you saying that the engine's sound comes inside the cabin through the speakers?? :headscratch:…If yes, then WHY??? :shrug:What's the use for this?? 

and

So no more V6's at all?... No option either? (except for the ST)?...:(

Claude.

The 3.5L V6 was discontinued - only  The 2.0L and 2.7L ecoboost are options now (the latter only on the ST).

The engine sound is piped in to make it sound sportier.  Becoming quite common these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akirby said:

The 3.5L V6 was discontinued - only  The 2.0L and 2.7L ecoboost are options now (the latter only on the ST).

The engine sound is piped in to make it sound sportier.  Becoming quite common these days.

Piped in or synthesized by the audio system? On my Mustang it was literally piped in through the firewall into the interior via a tube from the intake. A really dumb idea that was at least easy to disable with a plug and a cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Piped in or synthesized by the audio system? On my Mustang it was literally piped in through the firewall into the interior via a tube from the intake. A really dumb idea that was at least easy to disable with a plug and a cap.

It uses the noise cancellation system which has microphones that capture engine noise and creates neutralizing frequencies in the sound system to block out the noise. Its basically instead capturing engine noise and amplifying it through the sound system. I'm sure its losing some frequencies and enhancing others though so it will sound artificial. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

 instead capturing engine noise and amplifying it through the sound system. 

........ so, if the radio/stereo/audio is turned off then this "feature" is inoperative ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old Ray said:

........ so, if the radio/stereo/audio is turned off then this "feature" is inoperative ? 

It likely uses its own source not tied to the audio system so it cannot be disabled that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic has good info regarding the Active Noise Control on the 2015+ Edge Sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all I have a 2019 Ford Edge ST in white and coming from a 2017 Ford Edge Sport I noticed a couple things that I have minor issues with. The first is the backup camera quality. The camera quality was much better on my Edge Sport. The camera looks somewhat blurry in the daytime and at night it looks blurry with a hint of blue in it. The second thing I noticed is that I use google maps in Android Auto all the time and in my Edge Sport, Google Maps navigation came through all the vehicle speakers. On the 2019 however, it seems to come through one speaker that's located on the dashboard above the center storage compartment which I found weird. Other than these two annoyances I really like the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRIVERS73 said:

Hi all I have a 2019 Ford Edge ST in white and coming from a 2017 Ford Edge Sport I noticed a couple things that I have minor issues with. The first is the backup camera quality. The camera quality was much better on my Edge Sport. The camera looks somewhat blurry in the daytime and at night it looks blurry with a hint of blue in it. The second thing I noticed is that I use google maps in Android Auto all the time and in my Edge Sport, Google Maps navigation came through all the vehicle speakers. On the 2019 however, it seems to come through one speaker that's located on the dashboard above the center storage compartment which I found weird. Other than these two annoyances I really like the vehicle.

Thanks for that info. I saw others complain about the reverse camera quality also. The navigation through the dash center speaker sounds good to me. I don't like the instructions to be a major interruption. In my 2011 it blares through all the speakers like yours and I have always hated that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be sure to provide this feedback to your dealer and/or ford customer service also.  give them a chance to correct these issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, akirby said:

Some people claimed that wasn’t possible.

I dont think we claimed it was impossible, bad choice of word on your part. We simply claimed that Ford had not put any hard evidence to the public pn the actual changes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I dont think we claimed it was impossible, bad choice of word on your part. We simply claimed that Ford had not put any hard evidence to the public pn the actual changes

That was directed at someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, handfiler said:

 On my Mustang it was literally piped in through the firewall into the interior via a tube from the intake. A really dumb idea that was at least easy to disable with a plug and a cap.

My girlfriend just bought herself a 2014 Mustang GT and I saw that pipe on the tube for the air intake system running back to some kind of valve…but I didn't see it going through the firewall… Maybe it's me who didn't look close enough I dunno, but the car is all original and isn't very loud… I wonder what would happen if I disconnected it?…would it be louder or quieter? :headscratch:

and

9 hours ago, Fingernip said:

It uses the noise cancellation system which has microphones that capture engine noise and creates neutralizing frequencies in the sound system to block out the noise. Its basically instead capturing engine noise and amplifying it through the sound system. I'm sure its losing some frequencies and enhancing others though so it will sound artificial. 

Does that mean that if it wasn't for that "noise cancellation system" that the vehicle would actually be louder ? Anyways, I find this a little "gimmicky"… :huh: 

Claude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

Does that mean that if it wasn't for that "noise cancellation system" that the vehicle would actually be louder ? Anyways, I find this a little "gimmicky"… :huh: 

Claude.

When not in sport and the radio is off it will reduce some noise determined to be unfavorable by ford engineers. I don’t know if the system is actually working with radio on but based on info from other forum members it’s designed to be active when the radio is off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

My girlfriend just bought herself a 2014 Mustang GT and I saw that pipe on the tube for the air intake system running back to some kind of valve…but I didn't see it going through the firewall… Maybe it's me who didn't look close enough I dunno, but the car is all original and isn't very loud… I wonder what would happen if I disconnected it?…would it be louder or quieter?

My main driver is a Chevy SS sedan M6 and it has a similar set up.  The intent is to pipe in some intake noise to the firewall so when you are on the throttle, you hear a little extra growl inside the car.  Other SS owners have removed (what they call) this 'kazoo tube' and capped the fittings and said it reduces noise a bit.  The same may hold true on your mustang.  Hope that helps.

I know it has been covered already but to add.....my wife and I drove an ST, 401a, 21" wheel optioned car last Friday.  We were pleasantly surprised by the ride and felt it was comparable to our 2016 Sport with 20" wheels.  Cannot comment on power as we drove it respectfully (I'm old school on break-in regimen.....especially boosted engines) but it cornered/gripped better than our 2016 Sport.  We are awaiting final docs from Ford (they agreed to a vehicle exchange) and hopefully we'll have the ST in the garage soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 65SDAK said:

My main driver is a Chevy SS sedan M6 and it has a similar set up.  The intent is to pipe in some intake noise to the firewall so when you are on the throttle, you hear a little extra growl inside the car.  Other SS owners have removed (what they call) this 'kazoo tube' and capped the fittings and said it reduces noise a bit.  The same may hold true on your mustang.  Hope that helps.

I know it has been covered already but to add.....my wife and I drove an ST, 401a, 21" wheel optioned car last Friday.  We were pleasantly surprised by the ride and felt it was comparable to our 2016 Sport with 20" wheels.  Cannot comment on power as we drove it respectfully (I'm old school on break-in regimen.....especially boosted engines) but it cornered/gripped better than our 2016 Sport.  We are awaiting final docs from Ford (they agreed to a vehicle exchange) and hopefully we'll have the ST in the garage soon.

Thanks "65SDAK" for your reply… Last week we put the Mustang in storage for the winter time so I'll have to check about that "kazoo tube" next spring, but I know myself and I'll likely leave it on… As for the new ST, I saw my first one earlier this week (the blue looks great!) and all I can say is that if I wasn't so happy with my '16 Titanium, (with the 3.5 V6), I'd be seriously interested in the ST but not the SE, SEL or Titanium because of the ridiculous "that's it, no other choice" 4 cyl engine… :(...but the ST?…Yes! :thumbsup:

Claude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The active noise cancellation and piped in intake sound are two different things.   The first eliminates bad noise from entering the cabin.  The second tries to add "good" noise to the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2FAST4U:  You are welcome!  Hope it helps.  In the case of the SS, I found the additional "intake honk" when the kazoo tube was in place to be very minimal, so I have left mine alone. 

akirby:  Thanks for clarifying the two different objectives of those features.  I appreciate the noise canceling tech in cars these days.  Thinking back to some of the performance vehicles I have had in the past....the wind/road noise could be rather fatigue-ing.  I am not as fond of the piped-in sounds (whether electronic or mechanical) and would prefer the manufacturers focus on getting the exhaust tuning right so the car sounded good inside and out.  I recently rode in a coworkers Acura TSX ?-Spec and outside it was whisper quiet....but inside, the engine sounds piped through the speakers made it sound like a different car.  He seemed pretty convinced...I was not as impressed.

Anyway....sorry about going off-topic.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×