2019 Edge ST 1200 mile review

bmwta

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some facts and opinions about my first 1200 miles on my new 2019 Ford Edge ST.

I had a prior 2016 Edge Sport that I enjoyed very much. It had a little over 46,000 miles on it before I traded it in for the ST.

I wasn't considering purchasing a 2019 at first but after seeing one in person and striking a good enough deal, I ended up getting one in inventory that had all the features I would want.

My review will be mixed with comparisons with the '16 Sport and other findings.

The ST has a tighter feel to it on the road compared to the '16 Sport. I have the 20" wheels/ all season tires that I wanted for everyday driving through New England weather. Although it feels stiffer over bumps, it won't rattle your brain like a sports car. The reward for this is more control through turns and steering response. ( Also less body lean and front end diving with braking)

Acceleration at first was OK, but improved with more miles. I like the addition of a turbo boost gauge on the ST to see how much boost I'm getting at times. After burning up the dealer's full tank of whatever they used, I filled up with 93 octane. Within the first 300 miles I would only get to 12.5psi. After about 500 miles I could get about 15psi on the gauge. After 800 miles it allowed 16psi. After 1000 miles I got up to 17psi. The ST owner's manual states up to 21psi is available depending on octane and conditions. "SAE Certified Performance ratings are achieved with 19.5 psi, but up to 21 psi can be delivered to maximize power depending on fuel quality and atmospheric conditions."

Once I went past the first 1000 mile break in point, I decided to do a quarter mile run with my personal timer I have on a deserted roadway I used as well for my prior '16 Sport. I ran the exact stretch of road and a fairly similar outside temperature. The results are as follows:

2016 Edge Sport   14.1 seconds at 101mph

2019 Edge ST        13.7 seconds at 106mph

This is a slight downhill roadway so it won't be exact to a real track. This is just to show the improvement between the two. These were single runs with no brake torqueing, leaving it in auto but in Sport mode, no paddle shifting, 93 octane fuel.

I'm not surprised with the results since Ford advertises a HP/ TQ gain for the ST. Everyday driving by the seat of the pants will reveal the difference as well.

As far as exhaust sound in Sport mode, I don't think it sounds that artificial. (It doesn't sound like a Mustang GT though)

Cold startup is not too loud either for those concerned about annoying the neighbors in the morning. It has a more low hum bass tone compared to the '16 Sport.

Exhaust tone in non Sport mode is mellowed out. I drive in Sport mode 99% of the time unless I'm carrying non sporting passengers.

Braking feels good enough for me, nothing else to say on them for street usage.

Steering feels direct and heavy enough at all speeds.

Exterior:

I think the front end is more sporty with a blunt-nose. It just appears a little higher to me in person. The rear end is much better than my 16 Sport. The taillights and mid section appear less busy and more aggressive. I really like the slight shelf Ford used just below the rear window. It really makes a visual difference in person to the back. The bottom half is also nice to me. It has a more European/ German  look to it. The rear reflector light design is nice in person too. It seems like a lot of manufacturers are using this look. Overall the rear looks more refined. The side of the vehicle doesn't need mentioning as we know.

The 20" wheels are OK if you want less bling than the prior generation Sport 20" wheels. They are mostly black looking with a machined aluminum spoke that appears clear coated. I was able to use my prior wheel lock nuts on the ST.

The new towing package is a nice addition. My prior Sport couldn't be optioned with one from Ford. I might use it to tow my Harley or my girlfriend's horse.

If you need to use foot motion to open the rear tailgate, you have to move your foot front to back in the area between the tow hitch and exhaust tips.

Interior:

The seating is comfortable with a little more surrounding support. I don't have much else to say about them yet.

The newer perforated steering wheel is great. (Will be a plus for track duty for sweaty hands or gloves if needed)

I don't like the rotary dial for gear selection. I am used to gear shifting with a lever, so at times I go blank when I need to go from reverse to drive or park. The result is a more open look to that area. A vertical smart phone holder is in this area now for those who like that sort of thing. I also like the wireless cell phone charger up ahead from there in the storage compartment. My phone gets really hot though from using that space.

The B/O sound system is a great sounding system. I liked the Sony system before, but I can hear and feel more low bass sounds compared to the Sony version even at low volumes. I am very happy with the new sound system.

The WIFI hotspot works as advertised.

I like the Ford Pass link for remote starting, etc. I've used it many times with success.

Sync 3 has worked fine so far.

My ST with the 401A pkg included a sunroof that I can care less about. The shade makes a buffeting noise when fully closed when going over certain bumps. The one way to alleviate this it to open it up a bit. I don't think I'll like that during the heat of Summer though. I'll have to turn up the music!

Technology:

This vehicle is a technological achievement. I've tried some of them with great results. I used to scoff at all the driving aids and safety features coming out on newer vehicles. Now that I have them, why not embrace them? I admit it takes away a little of your responsibility, but not all of it. I won't go into detail on each one here, but I applaud Ford for a job well done!

Conclusions:

At first I thought I would wait until a major design change for this generation Edge to buy a newer one. After realizing it won't be too soon, I decided to move on to this ST.

For anyone who is waiting for their orders, it will be worth the wait. Hang in there!

For anyone who is still skeptical, please try to see one in person and test drive it.

I think you are getting a lot of vehicle for the price when you compare.

Thanks for reading this review. Feel free to ask me questions or private message me.

Edited by bmwta
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the review.  Three things..

1. Are you located near a track in the New England area?  Be interested to see real world results.

2. What did you use to measure 0-60 1/4 mile times?

3. The 21psi you are referring to is found in the Focus ST manual, not the Edge ST manual based on what I can see online, feel free to show otherwise as I am going to highly doubt 21psi is the stock psi as that puts it on the same boost as a tuned vehicle. (http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-Edge-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2018.pdf)

Edited by GT500R
  • Thanks 1

Very nice review

Five months ago I had ordered a Titanium but with it still not at the dealer and them having a blue Edge ST 401A with brake package sitting on the lot with a tremendous discount listed I cancelled the Titanium and bought the ST.  I'm still on the dealers tank of fuel but will give my opinion on it after a couple of thousand miles.

3 minutes ago, dacford said:

Apparently when a customer orders a vehicle, the CUSTOMER is LAST in line to receive a vehicle; what a way to treat a customer!!   Ford acknowledged my order for ST July 3 and still no confirmation on when I will receive it!  Ridiculous!

Check with your dealer to see what priority code it has.

2 minutes ago, dacford said:

YES, But WHO "assigns" the priority code??!!  SOMEONE is running the priority show and it certainly isn't the customer or dealer.....

Simple - your dealer has 100% control of the priority of their orders.

When a dealer is given vehicle allocation by Ford (weekly), they pull all the orders from that dealer and schedule them starting with the lowest numerical priority vehicle first.   If multiple vehicles have the same priority it goes by the oldest order date.

Ford policy states that retail (sold) orders be given priorities 10-19 and dealer stock is 20-99.   This ensures that sold orders are built before dealer stock.

Ask the dealer for a copy of the DORA and/or get the priority.   Either your dealer doesn’t have allocation or they have other orders ahead of you (which is completely within their control, not Ford).   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dacford said:

YES, But WHO "assigns" the priority code??!!  SOMEONE is running the priority show and it certainly isn't the customer or dealer.....

I believe it is the dealer when the order is entered. It shows in WBDO as 10 for highest priority and only determines its order in the build schedule. Once a VIN is assigned it is up to the plant to prioritize. 

akirby & Fingernip...Thanks for your explanations!  There is no question my order was entered first; it is indeed Ford execs & Oakville plant that decides build schedules with NO concern for the customer, only plant efficiency which means Fords bottom line!!  I was told on Friday that a Ford "Supervisor" was supposed to call me early this Monday morning, its 9:00 AM CST here and no call yet, supposedly their hours are 8:00 AM EST.  I do not mind being patient, its when Ford does not communicate or inform a person what is going on that one becomes distrusting and disgusted!  And all we hear on the local TV and Radio stations these days is about the "Ford Holiday Sales Event" where customers can EXPECT tested and quality vehicles all available right now!!

I don’t know where you get your information but it’s not correct about how scheduling works.

Ford “execs” are the ones who put in the priority system that gets sold orders built first.

The only impact the plant has is if they have a parts shortage but even then when parts are available sold orders are built first.

Outside of parts holds, delays are usually caused by the dealer not having allocation or the dealer not setting the right priority.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, GT500R said:

Thanks for the review.  Three things..

1. Are you located near a track in the New England area?  Be interested to see real world results.

2. What did you use to measure 0-60 1/4 mile times?

3. The 21psi you are referring to is found in the Focus ST manual, not the Edge ST manual based on what I can see online, feel free to show otherwise as I am going to highly doubt 21psi is the stock psi as that puts it on the same boost as a tuned vehicle. (http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-Edge-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2018.pdf)

Actually it is in the Edge ST Supplement just as it is in the Focus ST supplement.  I thought it was odd as well that it came stock with 19.5-21psi overboost.  But it is indeed in both manual, I came from a Focus ST.  He is also spot on so far with boost getting higher with more miles.  Mine has almost 700 miles and went from peaking at 16ish then dropping like a rock to under 12.5 to now hitting around 14-15 and holding when at high speed.  Actually holds much better than the Focus in higher RPM's.  The Focus dropped down to around 13 at redline where the Edge seems to hold almost all the way to redline.  I only tried this a few times and I am running 87 octane gas now since it is breaking in still, but I like to make sure the engine sees the revs it will see a lot of during breakin.  In Sport Mode with the traction control in sport as well it really does shine. 

As for the tests from magazines, I wonder if they had been broken in yet so they could see full boost.  Because from what I can see it does limit boost based on conditions, like 1st gear and maybe even 2nd do not get full boost just like on the other ST platforms which are limited in those gears.