Cracked sunroof

Terrican

I am looking for answers about what to do for cracked sunroof. Dealership took pictures and sending to Ford. I see there was already a class action suit started then dropped. Some people can get Ford to replace if under warranty. Others are replacing glass 3-4 times. What is the best why to approach this? I already filed safety concerns with NHSTA. 

Wavy cracks throughout the back sunroof. 2017 Edge with 13k miles. When I google it, many people complaining about same issue and Ford has not helped at all. Ford has fixed a few, sent people to insurance saying it was a rock, and charged people $2200 to fix it. I am not happy at all. Ford called for me to come back for more

pictures tomorrow. Sorry, I need bettee pictures without sky and powerlines. Look for wavy lines. Ridiculous! 

1302D3C5-FAE8-4318-B78B-F2D092111035.jpeg

DF7241B6-685B-47B2-A808-9BD282E49FC3.jpeg

Does not look like an impact issue to me, but I would get it looked at by 2 or more independent parties.  I dunno if there is a workaround to involving the insurance company, since coverage has elapsed (1 year/12K miles IIRC).  But if Ford is pushing back, you can as well - pending confirmation from said parties that impact is not the issue.  People should not be required to have glass coverage when purchasing vehicles with BAMRs, it is not even suggested in the warranty or owners manual anywhere.

On a side note, this issue with glass is usually at low mileages/first couple of years of vehicle production.  Literally as if the glass needs time to "set" in place.  So it is possible that the frame is "settling", leading to stress fractures.  Much like house windows.  Just a theory.  Not a Ford-only issue for sure.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Brand new 2018 Titanium with 5k miles on it. Garage kept. Sunroof cracked and has now spread. 

Dealer did a “pen test” and said a rock hit it. I say no way. 

I pushed and dealer sent photos to Ford who refuses to fix it. 

My insurance will cove it, but what happens when another “rock hits it” in 6 months? 

I’m filing a complaint with NHTSA. 

There are complaints everywhere on the internet. 

We own 2 Ford’s and will not ever buy another one since they won’t own up to this issue. 

• Like 1

kind of severe to say no more fords.

I have had four with sunroofs a 2010, 2013 f150s an 2016 expedition and the 2012 edge...all with glass up top.

the 13 failed but not the glass, just the opening guts

rock chip....must be some weird rocks flying around...we have lots of gravel on our state roads and we do not follow close at all.

i have a few chips from LARGE rocks 1" in diameter. but no sun roof glass failures.

be stern with ford and call the 800 line and get people on board. 5k miles....seems odd...but anything can happen

• 4 months later...

Did you get answers?  I have a 2018 Ford Edge Sport and the sunroof cracked in the first 3 months I had it.  Just this week I got a second rock chip and additional cracks have spread throughout the roof.  Needless to say, I am very disappointed in (a) sunroof quality (the rock chips are not large by any means) and (b) Ford Dealership's response that it is not a defect. 

• 3 months later...

I have the same cracks on my sun roof.  They are in 2 different places, which are 2 different pieces of glass, and they happened at different times.  They are stress fractures.  Now my windshield is cracking.  My dealership told me that because my warranty has expired there is nothing they can do about it.  This seems like a safety hazard to me and is apparently happening to many people.  I'm not happy and will be adding it to the NHTSA list.

3 minutes ago, Pahannula said:

I have the same cracks on my sun roof.  They are in 2 different places, which are 2 different pieces of glass, and they happened at different times.  They are stress fractures.  Now my windshield is cracking.  My dealership told me that because my warranty has expired there is nothing they can do about it.  This seems like a safety hazard to me and is apparently happening to many people.  I'm not happy and will be adding it to the NHTSA list.

Seems strange that stress fractures would occur many years later unless something happened to the vehicle.   If it was a manufacturing defect it should have happened relatively quickly.

There is a reason that glass is covered under comprehensive insurance.

• 2 years later...

I just brought my edge into Ford dealer and they won't warranty the cracked sunroof. Wants $1900 to fix. I only have 26,000 miles on my car and extended warranty.  Car stays in garage. It was out during cold weather when family was in and that's when it cracked. 

20220502_152354.jpg

10 hours ago, Kendall said:

I just brought my edge into Ford dealer and they won't warranty the cracked sunroof. Wants $1900 to fix. I only have 26,000 miles on my car and extended warranty.  Car stays in garage. It was out during cold weather when family was in and that's when it cracked. 

20220502_152354.jpg

Check the attached for more details on what is covered under warranty.

I'm guessing you have a 2019+ Edge and it is the rear fixed glass that is broken, the OEM glass replacement is only $700. The dealers quote seems quite high. I know that the procedure is a bit more labour involved, but still, $1200 seems too high. If it is not uncovered by warranty, suggest you check with glass replacement shops. 

G0000179 -Window Glass Ford.pdf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1004ron said:

This could be a latent defect - quite possibly related to the glass annealing process.

Annealing (glass) - Wikipedia

If no warranty cover wouldn't the insurance cover this?

Not unless you have glass coverage specifically in your policy.  State Farm has 0 deductible, glass insurance, built into their full coverage policies. Unfortunately most do not.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, Kendall said:

It's stress cracking - a common problem with the Edge's original, laminated glass sunroof. 

As a result the original laminated glass is no longer available and has been replaced by toughened (tempered) glass.

It's worth checking if this is covered under your motor insurance. When this happened to my Edge last year I was able to get the glass replaced under my policy with only a nominal excess to pay. 

Should also be noted that a Ford/Lincoln dealer will offer the buyer a glass warranty when selling the car.

When I bought eack of my extended warranties on my MKX, an optional glass warranty was offered as a  separate warranty. When I chose not to take the warranty, I had to initial that I was refusing the coverage.

My auto policy warrants glass coverage on my cars under the comp coverage but only if it occurs by accidiential causes (rocks flies up or tree branch, etc. Failure from stress in not covered unless I carry a add-on rider).

I would imagine you could replace the glass for 5 bill's or less from a junk yard. (What I'd do).