Water Pump Failure Prevention

Burgundy17

Modern coolants have water pump lubrication and rust preventatives built in.  See Prestone's Cor-Guard for an example.  No need for adding such products.  Just change coolant regularly.

As far as police interceptors, they live in high stress environments.  They are mandated to have PTU fluid changes every 30K, but police depts prefer 10K because that's what gets them a troublefree PTU.  50K can be overly long considering how much idling these vehicles are subject to.

Er, what with the water pump and awd ptu problems, might as well be proactive and give it away.  With the internet and the number of ex-purts on the forums, should be able to find that perfect vehicle.

yep, Ford has had some engine issues, thats true. Their Explorer with the 4.0 had timing chain stretch problems, then there were the early 2000’s Ford Triton V8/V10 exhaust manifold/studs breaking off, like 5 or 6 out of 10 was common.
And where would we be without the Ford Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4 diesel catastrophic engine failures? There was some great designs... to the tune of $12K and up...

not to just rag-on Ford but GM 3400 and 3800 Series II Upper Plastic Intake manifold failures at the EGR pipe. I had 2 of those Buicks with that issue, $1000 each. For extra fun, once the DEX-COOL coolant was contaminated it would start to turn to a thick brown sludge. GM never admitted shee-it and left us holding the bag. Come to think of it, I haven’t owned a GM since... I must be sore still.
Hmm, oh yea, the Chrysler 2.7 engine, due to poor design (too-small oil passages plus higher than normal operating temps) it suffered from major oil sludge problems.

How about the 1978 Oldsmobile LF9 350 diesel?  Years ago, had a neighbor with a Toronado that had one. After the class action lawsuits came out, he walked over and asked for my 3/8 drill. He had found a way to connect it to the odometer cable and just locked the drill “on” until the miles rolled back over into the acceptable still in warranty range.  Then he had the motor “repaired” and sold it. I did get a new drill out of the deal though. ?

Non engine problems that come to mind, any Lincoln with air ride, most 2000-2010 Mercedes with air ride. Every Range Rover with air ride, ever.  Some newer 4th gen RAM trucks with air ride up that are north, they freeze up in the real cold and fail.  
Can’t forget the 1994-2000 Caddy STS Northstar motor that has so many “halfcase” lower oil leaks and costs like $2800 to repair...not to mention their head gaskets.

Well, back to this POS Edge design discussion... For me, changing the coolant and PTU lube more often is acceptable. But hey, feel free to find some other wonder carmaker (try honda’s with the vcm that wears out the #3 cylinder...) and go over to them.
The list is endless.

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typos

• 5 months later...

This is why you should NEVER buy a Ford.  I've been driving Toyota for the last 14 years and haven't had a single major unexpected problem.  I had about 950,000 miles on 3 vehicles with 1 transmission replacement.  That was it.  But I liked this Ford Edge at my favorite dealership and it was a reasonable price with 135,000 miles on it (not scary when my last two cars both hit 400,000).  5 weeks after I bought it my friend was driving it to Nashville to pick up my previous car to bring it back up here to replace the transmission so I could use it as a backup or sell it and 40 miles after he picked it up from me it died on him on the highway.  The Low Oil Pressure indicator came on and it immediately shut itself off and never started again.  He's a mechanic so knew immediately that whatever was wrong was serious and not to touch it.  I went out there to pick him up and we towed the vehicle to the dealership where I purchased it.  Now I need to buy a new engine for a 5 week old SUV.  After 14 years of NO unexpected major repairs, I'm looking at putting in a used engine from a junked car, or spending $8000 on a 5 week-old SUV with 150,000 miles on it. 

I will NEVER buy a Ford again and make it my mission in life to convince other people to stay away from these garbage vehicles. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Do you have all the records of how the past owner took care of the Edge before you bought it?  This might not be a Ford issue at all if the past owner did not take proper care of that engine.  Go on Redit and look at Justrolledintotheship to see how bad people take care of their cares and engines.  :( 

• Like 2

My wife's 2015 3.7L V6 water pump started leaking at 63K miles and a little research uncovered a TSB covering the premature pump failure and the cure being a check valve in a hose that runs from the expansion tank to the thermostat housing.

The TSB covers models up to 2014 and my wife's being a 2015 should have had the check valve installed in the factory, but it didn't have it - my dealership contacted Ford Corp and they agreed to implement the TSB.

Could it be that this check valve plays a role in the pump failures on the 3.5 and 3.7L Edge?

https://ford.oemdtc.com/588/coolant-pump-leakage-2011-2014-ford-mustang

TSB 14-0212 

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2014 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 3.7L engine may exhibit coolant pump leakage due to air entering the system.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoazy said:

This is why you should NEVER buy a Ford.  I've been driving Toyota for the last 14 years and haven't had a single major unexpected problem.  I had about 950,000 miles on 3 vehicles with 1 transmission replacement.  That was it.  But I liked this Ford Edge at my favorite dealership and it was a reasonable price with 135,000 miles on it (not scary when my last two cars both hit 400,000).  5 weeks after I bought it my friend was driving it to Nashville to pick up my previous car to bring it back up here to replace the transmission so I could use it as a backup or sell it and 40 miles after he picked it up from me it died on him on the highway.  The Low Oil Pressure indicator came on and it immediately shut itself off and never started again.  He's a mechanic so knew immediately that whatever was wrong was serious and not to touch it.  I went out there to pick him up and we towed the vehicle to the dealership where I purchased it.  Now I need to buy a new engine for a 5 week old SUV.  After 14 years of NO unexpected major repairs, I'm looking at putting in a used engine from a junked car, or spending $8000 on a 5 week-old SUV with 150,000 miles on it. 

I will NEVER buy a Ford again and make it my mission in life to convince other people to stay away from these garbage vehicles. 

A "5 week old" vehicle with a poor maintenance record for its 135,000 miles covered?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Hoazy said:

But I liked this Ford Edge at my favorite dealership and it was a reasonable price with 135,000 miles on it (not scary when my last two cars both hit 400,000).   He's a mechanic so knew immediately that whatever was wrong was serious and not to touch it.  I went out there to pick him up and we towed the vehicle to the dealership where I purchased it.  Now I need to buy a new engine for a 5 week old SUV.  After 14 years of NO unexpected major repairs, I'm looking at putting in a used engine from a junked car, or spending $8000 on a 5 week-old SUV with 150,000 miles on it. 

You brought a vehicle with unknown service record with 135K miles....... What maintenance did you to it in the 5 weeks that you had it prior to dying?  Your friend is a mechanic.... Did he pull any codes? I'm far from a mechanic but I carry two different OBD readers with me. I know one shouldn't assume but most mechanics I know carry some form of diagnostic equipment with them. OBD readers fits in your pocket.....Wasn't there some kinda warranty or anything..... You purchased it at your favorite dealership...What makes it your favorite? Assuming you purchased more than one car there they should treat you a lil better....... I guess from your tone and the fact that they want to milk you for a new engine means that you really are their favorite customer..........

Was I happy when the stealership kept my truck 2 weeks for a trunk latch/ motor debacle? Absolutely not.  They fixed my edge and I kept it moving.....We've all had our fair share of ups and downs with vehicles etc.......But for the majority of us we're relatively happy with OUR FORDS!!  BTW you will not win nor garner any sympathy from this Ford Edge Forum.

I suggest you go back to driving an appliance excuse me Toyota. least we forget that Toyota have had their fair share of problems.

Good Luck. Hope they sort you out!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I don't think that you can really prevent a WP failure.  Now I do check the coolant overflow tank regularly and changed the information display to show engine coolant temperature.

If it goes bad I will park the car in the garage and drive one of my other vehicles while I fix it.  I figure if I can replace a head gasket or lower intake manifold gasket, I can do this was well.

Edited by Booger_2021_03_03

• 4 weeks later...

I finally did it. 54k on orange. Changed it to yellow. 

5 drain and fills with distilled water. Then put in 1 gallon of yellow, drove around for awhile, drained it once more in a clean container, filled with one more gallon of yellow. It tested with just a bit more of antifreeze then water. So I’ll adjust that later. 

The first drain of antifreeze in clean container is now saved for top off as its real close to 50/50 mix now. Actually it’s got more water then antifreeze. Or I’ll use it in my F150 when I swap out the orange. 

I also changed the oil and PTU fluid. Just throwing that out there. I don’t know why but doing maintenance always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. ?

• Like 2