Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

6 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

Just got ours done. Most of our issues were when she first starts the car but it definitely feels better. Tip in in sport mode is beastly and shifting in both modes is very smooth. 

After 24 hrs, you are correct. Sport mode is substantially better than before. Thos downshifts are silky.

21 hours ago, Perblue said:

Hate to say this but while taking my kid out last night it clunked a couple times. Maybe it's learning and it is way better in every way but don't be surprised if it still happens on occasion.

Same here. Maybe not that strong as before, but still there ☹️

27 minutes ago, Tronjo said:

Same here. Maybe not that strong as before, but still there ☹️

Haven't had any problems, but then again it only clunked a couple of times....

Installed my new LMS tune and holy hell it's fast.  Down shifting the paddles in sport mode is so sharp and fun!  I ordered a dragy! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

Haven't had any problems, but then again it only clunked a couple of times....

Installed my new LMS tune and holy hell it's fast.  Down shifting the paddles in sport mode is so sharp and fun!  I ordered a dragy! 

To get your LMS Tune updated did you just have to email the tuning email address and ask for an update?  I am going to schedule my service with the dealer this week and am curious as to what I may need to do with LMS to get their update.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

To get your LMS Tune updated did you just have to email the tuning email address and ask for an update?  I am going to schedule my service with the dealer this week and am curious as to what I may need to do with LMS to get their update.  Thanks.

Emailed help desk. Had to give them the new codes because they changed. They had to re calibrate the tune for the new codes. 

• Like 1

Well after a month at the dealership due to a transmission leak with under 1500 miles I got the car back with the new TSB applied as well. I can tell a noticeable difference from how it used to drive but only time will tell. The service advisor also mentioned giving the transmission 500 miles to learn and get smoother on the shifts. I'm hoping to finally enjoy my car. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took mine in yesterday for first old change and to get new flash.  Only got to drive it about 8 miles to home but the shifts in both D and S seem better.  I felt like it held the gears a little instead of wanting to race up to the next gear.  Also the throttle response seems better not as good as  Sprint Booster Box which I turned off till I get a good feel for the change but this weekend will turn it back on to get the quick pedal response back. 

• Like 2

So this weekend put about 150 miles on the Edge after the dealer did the reflash.  It now shifts the way it should have from day one,  it feels like it is going into each gear and it holds for a few seconds instead of just wanted to get to the top gear.  After about 80 miles I turned the Sprint Booster back on and that of course helps also,  Throttle response is instant just like a tune except this doesn't give any more HP just opens the TB fully and immediately.  

• Like 2

The only marginally  rough transmission gear engagement  that I have noticed  since having the latest TSB software installed occurs after starting the car in the morning after it has been sitting in the garage all night.  After the cold start,  the  Park to Drive engagement with the elevated cold idle results in a marginally rough transmission engagement.   I have tried tapping the gas pedal to lower the idle,  but it doesn't work.  The only solution may be to let the car warm up and automatically lower the idle.

Edited by BillE

Guys, you need to tell your Service Managers that to properly diagnose ANYTHING on these vehicles, ALL of the software needs to be up to date... PERIOD. It don't matter if you are having symptoms or not. Some people drive their cars so carefully that they may never have a problem, but that still does not mean that they should not have the update applied. The update is a warrantied repair, paid for by Ford. It needs to be done, just ask for it. They don't need to wait for anything. The Firmware is available online. They connect their terminal to your car, update the PCM and test drive the vehicle. It takes about 30 minutes.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, MENINBLK said:

Guys, you need to tell your Service Managers that to properly diagnose ANYTHING on these vehicles, ALL of the software needs to be up to date... PERIOD. It don't matter if you are having symptoms or not. Some people drive their cars so carefully that they may never have a problem, but that still does not mean that they should not have the update applied. The update is a warrantied repair, paid for by Ford. It needs to be done, just ask for it. They don't need to wait for anything. The Firmware is available online. They connect their terminal to your car, update the PCM and test drive the vehicle. It takes about 30 minutes.

They won't just flash it to the latest software simply because you ask them to.  That 1/2 hour costs money and is NOT covered under warranty unless there is an issue the customer is complaining about.  To simply say, "I want the latest software" is not a valid issue that gets warranty coverage.  A particular dealer may eat the cost to keep you happy, but it's not the norm.      

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, IWRBB said:

They won't just flash it to the latest software simply because you ask them to.  That 1/2 hour costs money and is NOT covered under warranty unless there is an issue the customer is complaining about.  To simply say, "I want the latest software" is not a valid issue that gets warranty coverage.  A particular dealer may eat the cost to keep you happy, but it's not the norm.      

Some dealers would do that.  But it is best to lie and just list the problems that are on the TSB as something you are experiencing.  That is the easiest way.  I just told the dealer I did not complain before because I knew there was not a fix until now since I had seen it on online forums.  No need to complain if I knew there was not a fix yet.  Worked just fine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IWRBB said:

Hmm must have a crappy dealer. I emailed the service mgr at the Auto Group I deal with the TSB in Q and just ask if I could come by and have it applied - no issues. Again it's made a world of difference for my ST.

Edited by AMulally
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, AMulally said:

Hmm must have a crappy dealer. I emailed the service mgr at the Auto Group I deal with the TSB in Q and just ask if I could come by and have it applied - no issues. Again it's made a world of difference for my ST.

This is a TSB. I guarantee your dealer is filing it with Ford under warranty work and as a customer complaint,  They aren't just doing it for you because they are such a wonder dealer of automobiles.  

Same here, I did tell the service manage I'm feeling the clunk from park to reverse and a flare on the 4-5 shift.  They were done in an hour.  I didn't drive it long enough to really get a solid feel of the difference, though I noticed it didn't clunk and seemed to shift at the right time and quickly without the flare.  I put the LMS tune back after just a couple days because I miss that extra punch.

Edited by Jombi

8 hours ago, Jombi said:

Same here, I did tell the service manage I'm feeling the clunk from park to reverse and a flare on the 4-5 shift.  They were done in an hour.  I didn't drive it long enough to really get a solid feel of the difference, though I noticed it didn't clunk and seemed to shift at the right time and quickly without the flare.  I put the LMS tune back after just a couple days because I miss that extra punch.

If I'm understanding correctly, you supposedly got the TSB done? Shouldn't the LMS tune be updated to the new PCM strategy before loading the it?

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

If I'm understanding correctly, you supposedly got the TSB done? Shouldn't the LMS tune be updated to the new PCM strategy before loading the it?

That isn't how LMS instructed me--they say always revert to stock tune when going to a dealer, because the TSB fixes the stock tune, and will be needed for future dealer visits where the ECU might be looked at, and I re-sent that to LMS who returned re-calibrated tunes based on the new stock tune with the TSB applied.   The LMS tune I believe has its own shifting strategy so I never had flare or clunk issues with LMS.

I've had my Edge ST since late Aug and since the day I drove it home I've had a transmission issue that has yet to be resolved. There have been multiple software updates but 100% of the time when I drive the vehicle it skips 3rd gear which causes a hesitation and really odd feeling going into 4th gear. The shift is a little better in Sport mode, but it still skips 3rd gear and goes 2nd to 4th. Additionally when using the paddle shifters going from 2nd to 3rd the rpm's raise slightly like it should shift then is right back at the same RPM saying it's in 3rd (by the number displayed) and when selecting to shift to 4th the RPM's rise and there there is a delay of almost 2 or 3 seconds before it's a horrible shift to 4th. The 2nd time I had the vehicle in the dealer I went and drove another new ST sitting on the lot and it did the SAME thing. It's hard to imagine that 2 ST's on the same lot had bad transmissions (if that is the issue). Anyone else have this problem?

I've tried clearing the cache for the adaptive learning for the transmission which did nothing. I would assume this happened with each software update from the dealer as well, so it wasn't a surprise that it didn't do anything for me.

I should also add that I have a LMS tune and that didn't help with the transmission skipping 3rd gear.

Edited by boosted_st

13 hours ago, omar302 said:

I had the LMS tune and the TSB applied.  I sent them the new strategy code after the TSB was applied and they tweaked the tune to work with that code.  As far as I can see the tune works in concert with the trans strategy that is already there.  Seems to really just apply more pressure when shifting thus making the shifts a little more harsh/hard.  You can ask for comfort which is supposedly the same pressure as stock or close to it. 

12 hours ago, Jombi said:

That isn't how LMS instructed me--they say always revert to stock tune when going to a dealer, because the TSB fixes the stock tune, and will be needed for future dealer visits where the ECU might be looked at, and I re-sent that to LMS who returned re-calibrated tunes based on the new stock tune with the TSB applied. 

7 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

I had the LMS tune and the TSB applied.  I sent them the new strategy code after the TSB was applied and they tweaked the tune to work with that code. 

Yep, that's how it works, I must've miss-understood what Jombi first posted.

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

Yep, that's how it works, I must've miss-understood what Jombi first posted.

Yeah I had to tell them I got the update and they then reset my device so that it was cleared off like it was new.  Plug it in to the Edge, which it came back as an unrecognized vehicle, then send them the new strategy codes.  Then they worked on updating their tune to work with the new codes and I installed the tune, and saved the stock tune to the device.   And after the TSB was applied I did have a little quicker paddle shifter working and still do with the tune.  Still not DSG speeds but better than from the factory.  I mean my mothers MKC 2.3 was quicker to shift between paddle input and actual shifting than the Edge ST.  Lol!  Now the Edge is better in that regard, about the same speed input to shift as the MKC. 

• Like 1

(~5000 mi, 2019 Titanium, scheduled for service for the software update TSB Jan 4th) Here's a comparison everyone with adaptive CC can try to confirm about something I noticed that could be a clue. I too get the weird symptoms of "jumpiness", harsh shifting and/or "surge" no matter how gently I try to accelerate from a stop up to under ~20mph BUT ... I do not notice anything like it when using adaptive CC in stop and go traffic.  IMO that difference seems to point to an issue concerning how command data from the accelerator pedal position encoder is being handled differently by the PCM (power or engine control module or whatever it's called?) than command data from the adaptive CC "module".  

It would be interesting if others with the problem notice this same difference?  (Side note - I generally don't use adaptive CC in rush hour multi lane stop and go traffic because the ride will never be smoother than that of the aggressive jerk in front of me. ? )

We are looking to buy a ST.  All of these transmission issues have me worried about even buying one. Are most of the problems posted on earlier production models or are there some newer production models still having the issues.  It would be nice to know the build dates. If we buy a 2020 made after October will we be safe and not have all these problems? How about 2019 made in August of this year, they have some great discounts. Thanks

42 minutes ago, dajo2012 said:

We are looking to buy a ST.  All of these transmission issues have me worried about even buying one. Are most of the problems posted on earlier production models or are there some newer production models still having the issues.  It would be nice to know the build dates. If we buy a 2020 made after October will we be safe and not have all these problems? How about 2019 made in August of this year, they have some great discounts. Thanks

I don’t know when the latest TSB was actually released, or how quickly they can get those into the factory so the cars come out with it already applied.

But either way once the TSB is applied, the issues are gone, but it is still not on par with say, how a Porsche Shifts in the near instant paddle response of many sports cars, but then Ford never really claimed it was. 

I think it’s probably as good shifting with the TSB applied as most every day SUVs, but because it’s an ST I think we all expect a little better.

Edited by Jombi