What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

13,000 lbs. That hurts just thinking about it. 

Hired 2 21 yr old guys to move the bags from the driveway to the beds (avg about 40 ft) with a wheelbarrow.  Took them about 2 hours (I helped some).   But I dumped them out and spread with a rake (wife helped a little).  It was a good workout but I don’t want to ever do it again.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, enigma-2 said:

Took my 09 mkx in to dealer on Wednesday, for a no-heat/cool on passenger seat. Mechanic found the TED unit failed. Around $850. Covered by PremiumCare, no cost.

Well they replaced the passenger seat bottom TED unit. Wife used the cooling function this weekend. Stayed on 30 seconds and shut off. No heat, no cool. Same thing I took it for last week.

Called 1st thing Tuesday morning and got it in Wed. They were able to work it in today and found the passenger seatback TED has failed. Another $800 (but still covered by extended warranty). Parts will be in next week. (Ya gotta love technology).

At least it's gonna get fixed and that's the only thing wrong with the car.

Need to get it detailed this year. Overdo for a good clay bar and polishing.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 3

Hit a curb with the rear right tire while turning and damaged the tire. Immediately got a low tire pressure warning.

Installed the donut spare and used the vehicle for approximately half a day till I got a replacement tire. What was interesting is that although I did not get an AWD off warning in the instrument cluster, the Edge was actually running FWD only. As it should as per the owners manual. I confirmed that with the AWD Guage and how easily traction control would come on. And the Torque Steer. Can't imagine how 2015 FWD Sports are driving daily like that. 

• Sad 2

On 6/10/2023 at 2:26 AM, omar302 said:

Hit a curb with the rear right tire while turning and damaged the tire. Immediately got a low tire pressure warning.

Installed the donut spare and used the vehicle for approximately half a day till I got a replacement tire. What was interesting is that although I did not get an AWD off warning in the instrument cluster, the Edge was actually running FWD only. As it should as per the owners manual. I confirmed that with the AWD Guage and how easily traction control would come on. And the Torque Steer. Can't imagine how 2015 FWD Sports are driving daily like that. 

Builds forearms!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not liking any of the available phone mounts, I made one that attaches solidly behind the stereo bezel. Used a noga style arm and a motorized mount. It's nice having a machine and fab shop in back of the house! Bonus, at least in the summer, is that with it in front of the vent, it doesn't get hot in the sun. It does bounce a little on some roads, but not so much it's problematic. I've had windshield mounts that were worse. 

20230619_160208.jpg

20230619_160155.jpg

20230619_160356.jpg

Edited by whateg01
  • Like 4

At 66.5k I decided to have the trans serviced - so that got done.  Renewing the properties of the fluid helped it shift better/smoother.  This unit has had the latest TSB performed and that made a huge difference.  This improvement was more subtle - and really for my peace of mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 7:31 PM, Nick Halstead said:

BC Coilovers installed

I like it!!!...  Looking good.

One of the great advantages of coil overs is the adjustability. Ride height , rebound. different weight and type springs. You can fine tune your suspension with coil overs,  ride soft or firm,  ride high or low with  hundreds of combos. .  Most people use the coil overs to set the ride height, and lower the car.  But there is so much more that can be done. One of the better things that can be done no matter how you set it up is to weigh the car.  By using 4 car scales you can sit in the car and balance the car left to right and front to back. By adjusting the shocks you can add or remove weight on a tire.  It is standard practice on race cars to set them up this way, and is part of the alignment process. It makes a huge difference in how the car handles..  

Scales are available on Amazon from just over $100 for the budget minded to professional sets that cost over $1,000

61INJNPxdCL._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.983742fba8c5c2cd6df3e3c95b54be35.jpg

• Like 1

I replaced my 4 stage UPR oil separator with a J&L (formerly JLT) oil separator. The UPR was a good design but poorly executed with badly machined O-Ring grooves, thus it was constantly leaking between the reservoir and body. I proactively replaced the UPR separator on my other car as well.

The newly named company is still owned by the original owners of JLT. Top notch quality and after sales service.

20230712_201159.jpg

20230712_201136_B.jpg

• Like 4

Drove it enough to get to this reading:

53048971090_9beaebafbc_b.jpg

But this is the interesting number, when I got home and parked it/shut it down, the cooling fan stayed on spinning full blast, I have never had that happen with this vehicle, my wife kept telling me I left it running. Luckily at home it was a more moderate 111 degrees, that 7 degrees makes a big difference.

53048583316_b953c450ec_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, handfiler said:

20 degrees C (68F) and cloudy at the moment. I really feel for everyone that has to live/work in areas that are affected by this severe heatwave. 

The weather November->May where I live is pretty temperate, and makes the June heat, July-August heat and rain an okay compromise. I from a location that got 30 feet of snow a year and down into the -40F range, and unless I was in a position to split my time between 2 or more places, give me the heat! Modern cars take it in stride. I used MAX AC to get the interior temps down (remote start FTW), but once on the highway and interstate, auto set to 72 with recirc on was comfortable. I also recently added AC to my house, it is way more expensive that my swamp cooler, but I have both, and best of both (switch over to AC when the humidity goes up, otherwise nice chilly humid air at 6500cfm, change the air in the house every couple of minutes).

But yes, outdoor work is best done before 9am, I have to take my dogs for their 1.5-2 mile walk at 5:45am, limit outside stuff or stay shaded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

busy morning.

I have been chasing a rear end noise that I was unsure the precise origin of.

I have good reason to be leery of the RDU (after finding it was empty or damned close to it for who knows how long), but figured I would do the wheel bearing hubs first to see if that resolved it

As luck would have it, the howling is gone. Cue the heavy sigh of relief.

FWIW, if anyone has need to do a hub bearing assembly, that tool on the pictures is a great tool which eliminates the need to do any hammering, avoiding any disturbance to the neighbors.

2023-07-29 08.02.25.jpg

2023-07-29 08.07.18.jpg

2023-07-29 08.15.15.jpg

2023-07-29 08.58.05.jpg

2023-07-29 09.39.54.jpg

2023-07-29 09.44.52.jpg

2023-07-29 09.51.00.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:06 PM, dabangsta said:

The weather November->May where I live is pretty temperate, and makes the June heat, July-August heat and rain an okay compromise. I from a location that got 30 feet of snow a year and down into the -40F range, and unless I was in a position to split my time between 2 or more places, give me the heat! Modern cars take it in stride. I used MAX AC to get the interior temps down (remote start FTW), but once on the highway and interstate, auto set to 72 with recirc on was comfortable. I also recently added AC to my house, it is way more expensive that my swamp cooler, but I have both, and best of both (switch over to AC when the humidity goes up, otherwise nice chilly humid air at 6500cfm, change the air in the house every couple of minutes).

But yes, outdoor work is best done before 9am, I have to take my dogs for their 1.5-2 mile walk at 5:45am, limit outside stuff or stay shaded.

if you deal with that kind of heat a lot, a lower temp thermostat could be an idea to pursue..

• Like 1

A few observations from my rear drive noise / wheel hub job;

The fact that my RDU ran without any appreciable amount of lubricant for an unknown amount of time, under my driving style and didn't grenade is impressive to say the least.

There were some small metal fragments on the fill plug magnet, but it seems to be working without any degradation atm so I'm going to just let it go for now.

I have an Ebay unit waiting to be installed when or if it is needed, but there is not obvious rush to that, so I will wait.

The bolts for the hubs are a torque to yield, one time use bolt so replace them if you do this job.

The knuckles had a fair bit of corrosion inside the bearing bore space, which really needs to be cleaned up as best you can, but aluminum oxide is pretty hard stuff so it can be a bit of a PITA. 

I buttered up the outer surface of the hubs with an anti-seize compound so that, if i have to pull the hubs back out to do the RDU, they will not be stuck.

I did not remove the wheel speed sensors to do the job, and they were not damaged. I am fairly certain that if i tried to remove them, they would have broken. 

If I do end up doing the RDU job, I will have to pull the CV axles out so they speed sensors will need to be replaced.

I bought one Timken bearing (when i thought i was going to do just the one) and one Motocraft bearing (when i decided to do both and Timken was out of stock..) but by all appearances, they are identical bearings, made in the same plant in Slovokia.. at very similar price points, and they had the same markings as the OEM ones i replaced.

So I found that interesting, thought you might too.

Anyway, it wasn't that bad of a job, but not a lot of fun when it hit 85° and humid AF by 11am.. ?

• Like 3