What do HATE MOST about your Edge or MKX?

enigma-2

14 AWD Limited:

I am not pleased with the painted chrome wheels, wife rubbed a rim on a curb now the $500 RF wheel looks like poop.

I am not thrilled with the extra maintenance required for care of the TPU and coolant (water pump).

I drive very relaxed and lower highway speeds (65-70) and never get above 22.5 on the trip computer. Doesn’t match the Mulroney sticker or others experiences.

I came from a 2015 2.7 ecoboost f150 and the power/torque difference is crazy, not in the 3.5’s favor.

But I bought it for her and the wifes’ top priorities were heated leather seats and short enough to fit in the garage...the F150 was a cloth XLT that was too long.

Hate isn't the right word - three things I wish were true about my 16.

1.)  More control over sound (more equalizer settings) ought to be a given in a supposedly 'premium audio' package.

2.)  I enjoy the auto-dimming driver side mirror, but come on - how about both sides instead of just one?!

3.)  Seat comfort in this vehicle isn't that great.  I personally would like for the driver seat to be a bit more firm.  It feels like I'm going to have to have that worked on before the Edge and I part ways.

On 16 juin 2018 at 12:26 AM, Tightanium said:

I keep thinking hard on this one and it’s hard for me to pick something. Some of the above complaints did bug me but I don’t dwell on them. I guess I’m easy to please. It is what it is. That’s how it was made. I don’t have any squeaks or rattles... I couldn’t be more happy with the Edge. So far so good.

Pretty much like me. I don't have anything to complain about at all. I've read some rants from other members but I don't have any of these problems with my '16 Titanium…No squeaks or rattles, no paint peeling from the front emblem, no condensation in the taillights, etc… Damn near perfect (for me at least)… Yeah it could have a little more power but like you said, "it is what it is" and I can easily live with that. :thumbsup:

and

On 4 juillet 2018 at 10:29 PM, I'manedgeowner said:

The rear hatch angle. I'd prefer it was more boxy so something that fits the floor space won't hit the window when closing the hatch. The angle seems extreme compared to comparable vehicles.

Yeah but it would look U-G-L-Y, period.  If you don't like the shape, why did you buy it in the first place?? Wanted something more "boxy"? Then you should have looked at the Flex. :finger:

Claude.:) 

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 1

With my 2016, something I don't like I just remembered, the rear camera. 2 things:

1. It shows a good portion of the rear license plate, feels like wasted space that the camera could have shown more from the top.
  2. What you see above the license plate is actually part of the rear hatch. You cant see the rear bumper!

This is what I mean (not my Edge):

image.thumb.png.b2001bf33c4a6b0a866c233f4c8f9449.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My '07, which I ordered from the factory, has 180,000 miles.  Still has all the original parts on the engine (except spark plugs). Had to have the torque converter replaced recently, but other than a rear wheel bearing, it hasn't had to have anything done to it.

The only negative I have about it is the lack of cargo space.  If one takes 4 people on a trip, it takes creativity to fit all the luggage and associated crap in the back.  I have the BAMR, so no roof racks. 

I have no plans to get anything new.  I like my cars to be cars, not rolling entertainment systems.

Edited by Jay's07Edge
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jay's07Edge said:

My '07, which I ordered from the factory, has 180,000 miles.  Still has all the original parts on the engine (except spark plugs). Had to have the torque converter replaced recently, but other than a rear wheel bearing, it hasn't had to have anything done to it.

The only negative I have about it is the lack of cargo space.  If one takes 4 people on a trip, it takes creativity to fit all the luggage and associated crap in the back.  I have the BAMR, so no roof racks. 

I have no plans to get anything new.  I like my cars to be cars, not rolling entertainment systems.

Another option for luggage is a hitch carrier.  Even if you have to buy a hitch you're looking at less than $300.  You don't need wiring.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:33 PM, omar302 said:

With my 2016, something I don't like I just remembered, the rear camera. 2 things:

1. It shows a good portion of the rear license plate, feels like wasted space that the camera could have shown more from the top.
  2. What you see above the license plate is actually part of the rear hatch. You cant see the rear bumper!

This is what I mean (not my Edge):

image.thumb.png.b2001bf33c4a6b0a866c233f4c8f9449.png

I'd rather have that then actually watching my back bumper hit stuff.  With the lip like that, it appears as if it's just a few inches past the bumper.

Still in the honeymoon phase with my Titanium. First pseudo-complaint would be the glove box. Kinda small for how big it is ............ uh. ? The huge door sort of belies how little room is actually in there. My old '15 XC60 had more than twice that much room. And didn't look like it. Other than that, diggin' it pretty much. 

4 hours ago, KennyE said:

Still in the honeymoon phase with my Titanium. First pseudo-complaint would be the glove box. Kinda small for how big it is ............ uh. ? The huge door sort of belies how little room is actually in there. My old '15 XC60 had more than twice that much room. And didn't look like it. Other than that, diggin' it pretty much. 

FYI, the glove box door is large because it houses the passenger side knee airbag.

• Like 1

2011 AWD Limited:

"A" pillar too large for my liking.  Probably just me.  

Backup camera really flaky.  Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.  Now it works with an upside down image.  Strangely, it works sometimes right after it rains.  The only fix is a new $800 dealer install as the ones off Amazon et al that are 'guaranteed' and 'direct  OEM replacement' are just too risky to chance.

Small things:

1.  No glovebox light -  I installed one myself with a small light and pin switch.

2.  No underhood light  - I installed an LED strip on a pin switch.  Lights up nice and bright now when the hood is raised!!

3.  SUPER crappy OEM cargo cover.  I purchased a Chinese made retractable cargo cover.  Install was a bit fussy but it works great!!

That is all.  Carry on.

• Like 1

2017 Ford Edge Titanium: The cargo area should be wider, I have a 2014 Ford Taurus which has the same outside width and I can take 4 sets of golf club bags and place them sideways in the trunk. I can't do that in the Edge. I also can place the golf bags front to back in the Taurus but not in the Edge. The front drivers seat doesn't lower enough. Other than that I really like the Edge.

One other thing that I don't like which Ford needs to fix is that the Sync3 system has been out for 4MY and there is no update for the Navigation maps in the USA, while I read on-line that in Australia and other countries that they not only have updates, they are also free for 5 years. Yes I can use Carplay with Google, Apple, or Waze maps. My point is that I had paid $800 for the Navigation which was included with the option I wanted for other items and no way of not getting the Nav. and yet there is no updates. Ford brags about how great Sync3 is but their programmers can't even figure out how to update the maps here in the USA. Also using those apps on the phone uses your data up and they do not work when your not connected to cell service like happens in the mountains. 

9 hours ago, chefduane said:

2011 AWD Limited:

Small things:

1.  No glovebox light -  I installed one myself with a small light and pin switch.

2.  No underhood light  - I installed an LED strip on a pin switch.  Lights up nice and bright now when the hood is raised!!

3.  SUPER crappy OEM cargo cover.  I purchased a Chinese made retractable cargo cover.  Install was a bit fussy but it works great!!

That is all.  Carry on.

Would like see how you did these. I did the under-hood on my older XC60. Would like to see someone's Edge install. 

I'd also like more light in the cargo area. Did you do that, too?

• Like 1

Our new 2013 Edge Limited 3.5 was a piece of crap and instead of 'lemon lawing' it, we just traded it in on our next Edge. We traded it in on a new 2014 Edge Limited 3.5 engine. No changes according to Ford between the 2013 and 2014 Edge. The difference between the two were night and day. The 2014 rides smoother but handled so much better than the 2013 Edge did. It now has 33,000 miles and still rattle free and solid feeling. 

My wife drives the Edge more than me. I asked her, what does she hate about her Edge? She told me the only thing are the 20 inch 'chrome clad' wheels. They stick out almost an inch past the tires and are curbed rash very easy. That's the only thing she doesn't like. We are going to buy new 20 inch aluminum wheels in a couple months when the factory tires are replaced.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, akirby said:

I thought map updates came out earlier this year?

I heard that they were out but when I had the 2017 Edge in for maintenance last month the dealer said the Ford dealer site to order them has been down for a month. I just checked the on-line site and it says "This Product is Currently Unavailable", it also doesn't even have the 2018 or 2019 listed. Dealer says several people have asked over the last few months for updates but they can't get them. I sent e-mail to the Ford IVT (In-Vehicle Technology) at sync@ford.com and they say map updates are not available.

Rattles, squeaks and random assorted noises.   They should not be evident in a vehicle that retailed for $50k give or take a nickel or a dime.  I test drove a new one back in 2015 and the road noise and other noises were not there.  Admittedly the one I drove had a bout 30 miles on it.  

If I brought the edge sport brand new and it squeaked and rattled and made noise 3 years later I'd be hella upset. Buying one used a few years later and saving on the depreciation, I can live with the noises.  I just turn up the volume. LOL

The 21" tire/wheel combo leaves a lot to be desired. Its not the price that bothers me.  I'm not sure that a low profile tire belongs on a SUV.  In retrospect they are fine on the highway.  Crappy roads/ potholes ruin it for me.  I'm considering going down to 20"s with a taller tire.  

2018 Ford Edge Sport:

-The lack of feeling in the steering, it's kinda scary at high speeds to have no sense of grip on the road from the steering wheel. I'm also not quite used to the adaptive steering, I feel like it's overly responsive at highway speeds, but I'm sure I'll get used to that as I drive it more. 

-The cooled seats turned out to be not all that cool. 

Sorry it took so long to post this re: underhood LED strip.  I installed a pin switch in the location shown by the arrow.  One lead to ground and one to power so that when the pin is released (hood up) the circuit is grounded, the circuit completed, and power goes to the LED strip.  The red line and red dotted line show the wire route up to the LED strip in the circle.  Got the LED strip from 1000bulbs.com.  You can get them in various lengths, wattages, and lumens.  Sorry, I can't specifically remember what I got.  I did the same with the glove box light.  No pics on that yet.  I did not put any additional lighting in the cargo area.  Hope this helps!

Underhood Light.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...