Jump to content
Fingernip

Poor trans shifting theory investigation

Poor Trans shifting theory  

45 members have voted

  1. 1. Octane used

    • 87 Octane (Regular)
      13
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
      1
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)
      31


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, boostededge said:

The new flash is released?

 

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 hour update

 

So far so good. It hasn't slammed into reverse or drive once, which is the longest it hasn't done it. There is also no noticeable delay going into those gears.

 

I'm curious about others results too though because it seems and feels like they played around with more than just that. It could be my imagination but my family noticed it too. It seems snappier. Shifts seem better. It seems more willing to downshift and accelerating feels stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Perblue said:

24 hour update

 

So far so good. It hasn't slammed into reverse or drive once, which is the longest it hasn't done it. There is also no noticeable delay going into those gears.

 

I'm curious about others results too though because it seems and feels like they played around with more than just that. It could be my imagination but my family noticed it too. It seems snappier. Shifts seem better. It seems more willing to downshift and accelerating feels stronger.

 

So if i say that i want the newest TSB i just request it?  or do i need to say i have problems.

 

also, anyone know if i do take it i should i flash my car back to the stock tune?

Edited by 19EdgeSTeve
grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 2:22 PM, akirby said:

 

Well they do need to have symptoms to get Ford to pay for the update.

 

46 minutes ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

 

So if i say that i want the newest TSB i just request it?  or do i need to say i have problems.

 

also, anyone know if i do take it i should i flash my car back to the stock tune?

For the TSB, see a few posts before yours - you could tell them that you're experiencing the symptoms.

 

Regarding the tune, what I've read so far the position of this  differs from dealership to dealership - others here can report on their experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

 

So if i say that i want the newest TSB i just request it?  or do i need to say i have problems.

 

also, anyone know if i do take it i should i flash my car back to the stock tune?

 

Yes flash back to stock tune, takes about 5 minutes if that.  To get them to do the flash describe the symptoms you are experiencing, off the list on the TSB "wink wink".  Even mention the TSB number to them in case they are not the brightest people and can't find it on their own. I normally tell them I found the TSB online while searching for info on my symptoms. 

Edited by jamie1073

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just the 1 TSB to rule them all as far as the shifting or is there multiple they need to apply? Mine does the thump from Park to Drive or Neutral to Drive but also basically sucks at all shifting. If I tell them to apply the 19-2313 is that all I need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off I can't wait to get this flash,  I go in toward the end of Nov for an oil change and will get this than.  Thank you Jamie1073 for this info.   Second thing Jamie1073 you say you will need tires in 20K miles.. sounds like you drive it like you stole it...I LIKE IT....  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vmaxbaby said:

First off I can't wait to get this flash,  I go in toward the end of Nov for an oil change and will get this than.  Thank you Jamie1073 for this info.   Second thing Jamie1073 you say you will need tires in 20K miles.. sounds like you drive it like you stole it...I LIKE IT....  :) 

Not sure if Ford does this, but some of the upper-end performance carmakers shoe their cars with "lot tires", basically something to last 5-10K miles because at that level most buyers have personal tire preferences, especially if they're doing a lot of track time.  It's kind of like buying a printer--those ink cartridges they come with out-of-the-box are 1/4 full and you're buying a new cartridge halfway through your first run of Christmas letters. 

 

I checked the tread depth at the lot and the ST's Hankook's had close to 10/32, which is about normal for a new tire.  With the average tire burning 1/32 every 6K miles, and 2/32 being the minimum, that's about 48K miles so definitely these are "real" tires and not "drive-off-the-lot" tires.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, BillE said:

Are you saying that you have had TSB 19-2313 which was announced on 10/16 2019 already applied?  My dealer wasn’t scheduled to receive the software for TSB 19-2313 until 10/23/2019.  I am scheduled to have it applied on 10/25/2019.  

Don’t believe I received an answer to my question above,  but I had the software included in the latest TSB,  TSB 19-2313, installed on 10/25/2019.  It appears to have fixed the P to R, P to D and D to R  rough shifts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 20, 2019 at 8:27 PM, STEdGeST said:

I have not got the TSB yet. Scheduled later next week. Still having same issues. 1700 miles and still same issues. Been doing since first week of ownership. Will post when I get the TSB completed. Same issue as you concerning sluggish between gears before a shift. Sport mode is a joke as well. Will update after TSB. 

Hello folks,  Got the TSB completed on the ST. Picked up today and what a difference. Smooth engagement and much better shifting. Sport mode is awakened as well with better controls through the paddle shifts. To me, seems they tweaked more than just the tranny. Feels much more responsive and seems power band was increased. Slips rear tires at ease. Happy Camper right now. Folks if you're having the issues get this completed ASAP. Hope this helped. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear positive feedback on the new PCM flash.  We'll get ours scheduled for the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

First off I can't wait to get this flash,  I go in toward the end of Nov for an oil change and will get this than.  Thank you Jamie1073 for this info.   Second thing Jamie1073 you say you will need tires in 20K miles.. sounds like you drive it like you stole it...I LIKE IT....  :) 

 

I drive it hard.  I figure it will need them then because when I looked them up on TireRack that is what  people were getting on them.  I had the Eagle F1 Assymetric performance summers on my Focus ST and they were only on the car 7-8 months of the year for the 2.5 years I had them and the Odo had 20,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Edge.  And I did not roast them at all, maybe a few times and no more than a handful.  But I drove that hard and did not talk off gently and I do not do that i0n the Edge ST either and it has been tuned since about 1000 miles, has 11,000 on it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, STEdGeST said:

Hello folks,  Got the TSB completed on the ST. Picked up today and what a difference. Smooth engagement and much better shifting. Sport mode is awakened as well with better controls through the paddle shifts. To me, seems they tweaked more than just the tranny. Feels much more responsive and seems power band was increased. Slips rear tires at ease. Happy Camper right now. Folks if you're having the issues get this completed ASAP. Hope this helped. 

 

I get mine tomorrow AM.  I am now curious if the LMS tune will be more or less effective with the new Software.....I will say that i have been driving around for 2 days without the tune and i miss it so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19EdgeSTeve you will be a could person to tell us the difference since you know how it is tuned and how it is right now stock.  Of course the LMS would have to be better in the end but can't wait to hear what you think of the tune from Ford to see if it is better not just with the trans issue but better performance.  I tuned my Shelby once my warranty was over and never had an issue but this thing...sadly I don't trust it yet..and my dealer sucks if a headlight stops working he would blame it on the tune..LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

19EdgeSTeve you will be a could person to tell us the difference since you know how it is tuned and how it is right now stock.  Of course the LMS would have to be better in the end but can't wait to hear what you think of the tune from Ford to see if it is better not just with the trans issue but better performance.  I tuned my Shelby once my warranty was over and never had an issue but this thing...sadly I don't trust it yet..and my dealer sucks if a headlight stops working he would blame it on the tune..LOL

 

I will post the results for sure.  But driving the car now in normal Drive makes me understand why the ST got some of the reviews it did.  The engine really does deserve better than what Ford Performance did with it.  It's  a really fun car when you push, but you really have to push it.  With the LMS tune, it's a completely different vehicle.  thrills at every level of throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

 

I get mine tomorrow AM.  I am now curious if the LMS tune will be more or less effective with the new Software.....I will say that i have been driving around for 2 days without the tune and i miss it so bad.

If you have the same results as I, you will be happy. As far as the tune, I am sure it will only enhance the updated flash. You will notice the difference right out the gate, as I had what felt like low end turbo lag. No more of that going on and also, you will notice better controls in sport mode while using the paddle shifts. Let us know your experience afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had this TSB applied today and it has so far addressed my transmission issues. The big one for me was the 3-4 upshift flare and so far it is definitely gone. Havent tried sport mode yet after the reflash, but I'll give it a go tomorrow. It does seem more responsive in general though. Cross my fingers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had the new TSB done as well today; immediately feel the difference in the response, shift quality, shift timing - just seems well put together now. Was sick of clearing the adaptive cache every few weeks. My biggest issue prior; along with the drop-the-trans-out-the-bottom reverse engagement; was a constant dead pedal feeling - that is now gone. Just a hair on the accelerator now and it's moving briskly. I have not tried sport mode, but this is a seriously powerful motor so it should feel quick on it's feet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AMulally said:

Just had the new TSB done as well today; immediately feel the difference in the response, shift quality, shift timing - just seems well put together now. Was sick of clearing the adaptive cache every few weeks. My biggest issue prior; along with the drop-the-trans-out-the-bottom reverse engagement; was a constant dead pedal feeling - that is now gone. Just a hair on the accelerator now and it's moving briskly. I have not tried sport mode, but this is a seriously powerful motor so it should feel quick on it's feet.

 

To piggy back on this:

1.  Sharper shifts, power band has been increased. 0-60 feels about the same.  still drops into second before banging into 3rd through 60....

2.  down shifting on the paddles is immediate and well done.

3.  sadly upshifting is still lacking response and nannied at Red line.

4.  if you have a TUNE, the car throws new CODES so you will have to get your tuner cleared and save the new stock.  LMS has to build a completely new tune for my car, which i am estatic about!!!

 

Edited by 19EdgeSTeve
grammar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

 

To piggy back on this:

1.  Sharper shifts, power band has been increased. 0-60 feels about the same.  still drops into second before banging into 3rd through 60....

2.  down shifting on the paddles is immediate and well done.

3.  sadly upshifting is still lacking response and nannied at Red line.

4.  if you have a TUNE, the car throws new CODES so you will have to get your tuner cleared and save the new stock.  LMS has to build a completely new tune for my car, which i am estatic about!!!

 

Glad it worked out as well I as thought it would. Let me know how the tune works out after the new tune. Been thinking doing the LMS tune as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

 

To piggy back on this:

1.  Sharper shifts, power band has been increased. 0-60 feels about the same.  still drops into second before banging into 3rd through 60....

2.  down shifting on the paddles is immediate and well done.

3.  sadly upshifting is still lacking response and nannied at Red line.

4.  if you have a TUNE, the car throws new CODES so you will have to get your tuner cleared and save the new stock.  LMS has to build a completely new tune for my car, which i am estatic about!!!

 

 

I just went back to stock tune this week so I can get the trans update completed.  Plus I was getting a hard starts under certain circumstances on the LMS tune and I wanted to see if it was the tune or something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got mine re-calibrated on Wednesday of this week for my 2019 Nautilus.  So far so good. Seems to be smoother shifting and no clunking between park, reverse or drive.

One thing it did say on the shop report is that computer will need to learn new shifting strategy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked my appointment to get it done. I haven't gotten the bang recently but I have had a flare occasionally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got ours done. Most of our issues were when she first starts the car but it definitely feels better. Tip in in sport mode is beastly and shifting in both modes is very smooth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×