Any Windshield Wiper Rec's?

Hey all, I need a new set of wipers. I don't want to get a set of cheapo's that only last 3 months but I also don't want to break the bank.

Anyone have any good experiences with any particular brand? These are for my '11 LTD without the rain sensing windshield (if that matters.) Thanks for any feedback. - Duane

I am using Bosch Clear Advantage blades. Bought from Rockauto.

For windshield treatment I am using a product called Aquapel. Much better than Rain-X. Aquapel bonds ot teh windshield and seems to last longer. It has been a year some I treated all 3 of our vehicles and the water still beds up and rolls off. Almost never have to run wipers at high speed and rarely at regular speed. Usually a delayed wipe is plenty. Aquapel was purchased on Amazon.

• Like 1

I'm using Rain-X Latitude based on reviews for winter wipers. They're good but not extraordinary. The clip is very big compared to original wipers. Streaks are noticeable on colder rainy days. They can be very noisy and chattering below 0C (like most brands)

I used Bosch Icon in the past and was quite satisfied.

I agree about Aquapel treatment being better than Rain-X.

• Like 1

I live in the Deep South, (Alabama), and I still have the original wiper blades on my Edge. Two years now. Unheard of here, the Edge sits out in the full sun five days a week when I'm at work. I've never had blades last more than six months before becoming less flexible and leaving streaks. I'll definitely be replacing with OEM blades when the time comes. I always clean the blades when I wash the Edge. Agree with PERFA comment about clay barring the windshield also. Clean windshield and clean blades = longer life.

One other thing I do is apply Aerospace 303 to them a few times a year. Just started doing that recently after watching this video. I also use the 303 on the dashboard, black cladding and black trim. keeps it looking like new for a long time.

Edited by bamabob
  • Like 2

BosCH is excellent, I prefer Tryco. (Tryco is usually what the OEM manufacturers use. But NOT what you get at the dealer for replacment - which can be anything the dealer chooses to stock. Local dealer parts counter told this to me years ago, and verified by service maanger at a later date).

To make your blades last, start with a super clean windshield:

(I did this nearly a year ago and still beads water)

And clean your blades whenever you refill the tank (take the sponge on the backside of the squeegee they provide at the pump and, wet as possible, run it across the length of the blade.

To make blades last as long as possible (true of whatever brand you use) spray a coating od 303 Protectant on the blades 3-4 x year. The way blades fail is, the UV causes as chemical reaction in the rubber and they get hard. The Protectant will block the damage from UV.

• Like 2

Are any of the replacements "direct" replacements?

In other words, anything out there that doesn't require solving a jigsaw puzzle of plastic adapters that come with the blades?

I yearn for the days when all you had to do was squeeze a couple of clips to release the rubber part, slide it out and slide a new one in.

• Like 1

Not certain about other makes, but Tryco makes a line of direct replacment wipers.

For my 09 MKX they carry 10 different types (or styles) each designed to fit a hook style connection; mostly without an adaptor. (They also make some that are universal, but I dont use them). However, the back blade is only a universal style.

I've used mostly Tryco since I was discharged from the service over 40 years ago. Tried other brands and never found anything that worked better. NAPA carries them if your unable to find locally. I've also found them at Meyers.

FYI http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers/InstallationVideos?TrVehicleMakeModelYearIdent=8693&TrProductIdent=19&TrArmTypeIdent=1

On my last replacment set, I had a bad blade on the drivers side (It jumped across the windshield creating a thumping, squeeking sound, and didn't clean propetly). Called Tryco and they sent me a new blade immediately. No questions asked, didn't have to supply a sales receipt. Great company to work with.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Are any of the replacements "direct" replacements?

In other words, anything out there that doesn't require solving a jigsaw puzzle of plastic adapters that come with the blades?

I yearn for the days when all you had to do was squeeze a couple of clips to release the rubber part, slide it out and slide a new one in.

On my 2012 Edge, Rain-X and Bosch were direct replacement. On my 2016, I had to use one of the adapters that came with the blades. It's the first time I ever had to do that, so it took me 15 minutes to figure how to install the adapters but 2 seconds to snap them on the arms.

• Like 1

I did not have a great experience with the PIAA wipers. Considering all the extra prep work and the cost, they just didn't measure up to the original Motorcraft replacements I've been using. But I just ordered some Bosch Icon wipers based on comments here and will see if they are an improvement, especially in longevity.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just put Bosch Icons on my 2018 Edge Sport

They have built in wind degelection wings builf into them and while the driver side one is perfect...the passenger side delector seems backwards

The latest model 2018 Sport and it needed new wiper blades already?

The OEM blades on my 2017 Sport are performing so well that I've decided to stick with them when the time comes to replace them.

• Like 2

July will be two years for my 2016 Edge, and I'm still on the original wipers. They wipe as well as when new.

Last year, when I ordered filters from Rock Auto, I ordered the Motorcraft replacement blades, but I haven't had to use them yet.

In over 40 years of car ownership, I've never had wipers last this long.

• Like 2