Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

Hello All,

If there is a TSB on our vehicles, you should not have to have a problem to have it applied.

Just talk to the Service Manager and ask for it.

I get all programming and TSBs done on all of my vehicles without any issues.

It doesn't matter if it is under warranty or not.

I like to keep everything up to date.

I ask every three months if there has been any updates.

Edited by MENINBLK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MENINBLK said:

I get all programming and TSBs done on all of my vehicles without any issues.

It doesn't matter if it is under warranty or not.

TSBs are not recalls and they're not free unless you're under warranty or they extend warranty coverage on that issue.  If you're getting those done for free outside of the factory warranty then the dealer is doing it on their dime and that's not likely to happen anywhere else.

6 hours ago, Toby99 said:

Well maybe Ford will now have time to find a fix for the non ST Edges.  My Titanium is such a disappointment  to drive with the slow speed bucking.

If your getting the bucking you should bring it in and show my service record. It definitely should not be doing it. 

1 hour ago, SusieQFL said:

Is yours an ST? Mine bucks at low gears but also has hesitation when applying the gas.

Yeah its an ST so different trans but i would still try the same diagnostic approach. Its fairly simple for the dealer to disable the TC lockup to verify if the bucking stops. 

This is quite interesting. I may have to take mine in to get it checked out as I have a similar issue but mine only seems to be when throttle is wide open and accelerating it hesitates and seems like slipping. I'll have to try FORScan and also bring up to the dealer. Still covered under powertrain warranty, so hopefully all will be covered if it is a mechanical issue

15 hours ago, Fingernip said:

If your getting the bucking you should bring it in and show my service record. It definitely should not be doing it. 

Thanks.  I will definitely do that on my next visit.  Just printed out your service record.

Edited by Toby99

5 days into owning my 2.7 Nautilus and I figured I'd weigh in with my experience with the transmission so far.

The up shifts are smooth but quick in D mode when you get on it and S takes it up another notch. Down shifts are a tad laggy but not overly so.

No lurching, bucking or slipping, it just goes about it's business without drawing attention to how it operates.

I've been following this thread with some dread while waiting for my car to get built but so far so good. I don't know why Ford is having problems with the programing of this transmission

because IMHO Lincoln has nailed it. If anything it would indicate that Ford should be able to make things a lot better with future updates.

19 hours ago, handfiler said:

5 days into owning my 2.7 Nautilus and I figured I'd weigh in with my experience with the transmission so far.

The up shifts are smooth but quick in D mode when you get on it and S takes it up another notch. Down shifts are a tad laggy but not overly so.

No lurching, bucking or slipping, it just goes about it's business without drawing attention to how it operates.

I've been following this thread with some dread while waiting for my car to get built but so far so good. I don't know why Ford is having problems with the programing of this transmission

because IMHO Lincoln has nailed it. If anything it would indicate that Ford should be able to make things a lot better with future updates.

If yours was just built you would most likely have the latest software as well as any other updates they may have done since releasing the vehicle last year.  Which is great for you but not so much for the rest of us.  Lol.  I ordered an LMS device and will update to how the shifting is once I get that tune.  Not that it would help at all but it will be interesting to see what they have done and if it is more like I would have liked Ford to do on the ST.  It is not horrible in Normal mode but it is far from what I imagined it to be in Sport mode, like they somehow got it half right because I love the throttle response and the rev matched downshifts.  But I do not like the slow response to any inputs on the paddle shifting, especially after dreading the Explorer ST review that they seem to have got the 10 speed to shift even better than the Mustang GT tuning for it in the manual shift mode. 

3 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

If yours was just built you would most likely have the latest software as well as any other updates they may have done since releasing the vehicle last year.  Which is great for you but not so much for the rest of us.  Lol.  I ordered an LMS device and will update to how the shifting is once I get that tune.  Not that it would help at all but it will be interesting to see what they have done and if it is more like I would have liked Ford to do on the ST.  It is not horrible in Normal mode but it is far from what I imagined it to be in Sport mode, like they somehow got it half right because I love the throttle response and the rev matched downshifts.  But I do not like the slow response to any inputs on the paddle shifting, especially after dreading the Explorer ST review that they seem to have got the 10 speed to shift even better than the Mustang GT tuning for it in the manual shift mode. 

Ya it was built mid May so probably they have things dialed in by now. I didn't buy the car to flog it though, just wanted something nice and quiet with reasonable get up and go. It's stablemate provides the adrenaline rush whenever I need one.

Looking forward to your  comments on the LMS tune and hoping that it fixes what ails your ST.

• Like 1

Wife had her headlight recall and tranny tsb done.  (Early ST build)  Happy to say both are working as intended now!  Dealer had no clue on the TSB for the tranny (yikes) so thank you to whomever posted it originally.  I printed it out, gave them the paper and off they went.

Slipping in another update: my ST continues to shift absolutely fine. Flushing the adaptive cache corrected the poor shifting. It's now been almost six weeks and the tranny shifts exactly the same as it did right after the flush and when it was driven off the lot back in January. No slip or hang or lag in the 2-3 and 3-4 changes. And 7-8 both shift predictably and exactly when expected. I have not gone in for the TSB...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My wife has an Edge ST that was built 4/15/19 and it has weird shifting (slipping when cold) between 2nd and 3rd gears, holds gears way too long and was bucking like crazy at about 55mph under light throttle going up a long hill. You could see it in the tach. The TSB states built on or before March and mine was built mid-April. Are there any other TSB's or work being done to correct this in vehicles built after March? I'll be taking it in this Friday to have them look at it but I have absolutely no confidence in our local dealers. We traded in a 2015 Edge Sport to get this and it had a PERFECT (FWD) transmission. This one feels like the programmers went to lunch mid way through programming the shift strategy and never came back. Unless someone has any other ideas I'll take it in Friday and if nothing's done I'll wipe the cache through ForScan. Kubicide, can you PM me the details on how you did it? I programmed my Focus ST a few years ago but I don't remember much about it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

Is anyone else experiencing the hard engagements from P to D or R to D or D to R like this.  I get it randomly just wondering about everyone else?

Yup. Lots of times. Mostly for P to R for me (in garage backing out). After a cold start. Doesn't sound good for sure.

2 hours ago, bobyellow said:

Yup. Lots of times. Mostly for P to R for me (in garage backing out). After a cold start. Doesn't sound good for sure.

I had it fully warmed up yesterday sound like a loud ass bang, I had the window down and was putting it into D after stopping home to put the dogs out and leaving. 

6 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

If you're on a hill it'll make the clunk worse. I have to set the parking brake before releasing the brakes in our driveway.

Always a good practice for all automatic transmission equipped vehicles. It's hard on the parking pawl to park on an incline/decline  without engaging the E-brake first. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 8:28 AM, jamie1073 said:

Is anyone else experiencing the hard engagements from P to D or R to D or D to R like this.  I get it randomly just wondering about everyone else?

Yes.  My wife has been complaining of this.  We have the latest software on there from the original TSB.  

Update.. I reset "Clear transmission adaptive tables" last night and took it out for a test drive. Wife said it shifted so much better that if it stays like this she'll be super happy. First time I've seen her giggle when driving it. So, if it learns the crappy shifting again I'll have to do another reset. Is there any way to turn "adaptive learning" off? I didn't go into the PCM, just reset from the service procedures screen. If this can be turned off our problem will be fixed 100%. **Pay no attention to the vehicle at the top. I was modifying a few things on my car and looked for this while I was at it. Hers was done later that night.

20190829_172735[1].jpg

Edited by ktp1598